Smashing Pumpkins

26 minutes ago, arrov said:

Thanks for the great feedback! I really appreciate it. 

It is somewhat difficult to get the tones right for SP songs since they are so heavily layered and processed. Its fairly easy to get good sounding tones without the song playing, but once you try to add them over the song it becomes much harder to find a sound that fits in the mix. 

You're limited to 4 tones per arrangement (L/R/B) so that's not too bad, but when it comes to SP the songs have lots of little variations in the different sections so it can become a problem when you're obsessive like I am

I was also heavy into SP back in junior high and highschool.. they were huge for me, first band I saw live also. I saw them on the reunion tour a few years back and it was amazing... they played for a few hours and hit pretty much every song I'd want to hear, along with quite an incredible stage show. If you're able to see them on an upcoming tour, I'd really recommend trying to go. I haven't been much into their recent albums and I'm hoping the MCIS sequel they are currently working on changes that.. but they still have the magic live & its great to see the whole band (minus D'Arcy) back on stage.

Hummer should be up shortly.

I'm much the same way about the newer stuff.  Just doesn't hit me the same for whatever reason.  

It's funny you mention the live show...it really just dawned on me that I never saw them live.  I used to hit a lot of shows back in the late 90s early 2000s, even bands I didn't care for much, but I don't even recall the opportunity to see them live.  I'm from the St Louis area....I'm sure they had to have came through though right?  I haven't been to a legit concert in over a decade now....but I really would consider it if they come through.  I mean, I had tons of live bootlegs for them....remember viewphoria?  And that jam, breakdown during Silverfuck?  I freakin loved that riff!  

Hell yeah man, I'm from the KC area. The original show I saw them at was the MCIS tour in Kansas City. It was delayed because that whole keyboardist overdose with Jimmy happened right before the KC date... I had terrible seats at the very top 

Their live performances are really pretty amazing if you catch a proper one. After the first KC show, I saw an acoustic set in the daytime outside  at Lilith Fair (booooooooooooooooooo) and then didn't seem them again until the Zeitgeist tour which was great, but not the same. The show a couple years back completely delivered. 

Its said about a lot of bands, but the Pumpkins are truly something else live. Their whole sound is really built around live performance with explosive sound... 

I'm not sure what kind of set they will perform on the next tour compared to that first reunion tour, but definitely try to catch them if you can. Tickets are unfortunately pretty expensive.. only reason I was able to go that time is the tickets were a birthday gift.

I'm working on a couple non-SP songs but should have them done soon

If anyone has any requests for the next SP let me know, redo of anything already here or otherwise.. don't have anything particular in mind just yet 

(will prob do Snail if no requests)

If anyone has any requests for the next SP let me know, redo of anything already here or otherwise.. don't have anything particular in mind just yet 

I was thinking of requesting Eye, since there was a not-so-great version on here before that seems to be gone now, but after listening to it just now I'm not sure if there's any guitar in it at all. There's a few live versions of it on video that might make a worthwhile chart, but the audio quality's a bit suspect on them. This performance here is pretty good, but I'm not sure how doable it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNBpsVqUMI

On 5/15/2021 at 12:07 PM, arrov said:

I've also been working on my custom arrangements for Eye and its getting close to ready. Right now its a custom lead & bass arrangement I put together. I just saw the live performance recording of this song with Marilyn Manson and its really good, this would be worth doing another CDLC for as well.. but I may use some of it to base a rhythm guitar part on for the album version:

I'm actually almost entirely done with Eye already, I just got lazy and didn't get around to finishing it yet. I already did tab arrangements for all parts, and then I found this live acoustic performance with Marilyn Manson and I wanted to make some adjustments to my arrangements based on this video... but I need to sit down and do some working out of how they're playing it first

I also might do an acoustic CDLC version using this audio

On 7/2/2021 at 8:04 AM, arrov said:

I would love to see Obscured if you are so inclined...bass and lead are both gorgeous. But whatever you do will be fantastic I'm sure.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:04 AM, arrov said:

How about "Ugly" or "Cherry".  Very underrated in my opinion.

1 hour ago, dt7667 said:

"Cherry".

Interesting choice. Good song

Bass players may be happy with this one - the main riff is played on bass (in the studio/album version). Although that means I'll prob have to work out an alternate arrangement for guitar

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/27/2021 at 1:42 PM, dt7667 said:

Just checking in....haven't heard much from you.  

Got too busy with life stuff to keep up with all these projects unfortunately, hopefully will have some time to do some more soon

Next up is Snail from Gish

Started working on my own tab tonight, cus there aren't any full correct tabs available that I've found.

(will try to get to some of those unfinished requests also)

BTW, SP is currently on tour for anyone who doesn't know and is interested. Not sure how their set will compare to the last big "reunion" tour since they are finishing up a new double album that is supposed to be a sequel to Mellon Collie, but I'd def recommend seeing them if you're able

Man, I really have no idea. They haven't put out any songs yet that I'm aware of. I just know they announced the album a couple years back, saying it was going to be another "theme" project and a sequel to Mellon Collie. I think it would be pretty shitty to give it that label and then fill it with a bunch of songs that are like their newer stuff. Mellon Collie was the band's biggest album (altho not everyone's biggest favorite) - its quite substantial thing for them to call a new album a sequel - if they just put out another weak album, that would be really terrible...

I jumped the gun on the Bodies upload... main distortion tone is too muddy and I'm trying to dial in a better tone to update. This one is tricky cus its very heavy distortion but very tight and mostly lacking high range. The playing is so fast it really needs to be dialed in a specific way to sound clear - and I haven't really been able to get Rocksmith to handle this kind of tone very well

Got a pretty good tone right now going, sounds great on its own but still not quite matching the song mix

14 hours ago, arrov said:

I jumped the gun on the Bodies upload... main distortion tone is too muddy and I'm trying to dial in a better tone to update. This one is tricky cus its very heavy distortion but very tight and mostly lacking high range. The playing is so fast it really needs to be dialed in a specific way to sound clear - and I haven't really been able to get Rocksmith to handle this kind of tone very well

Got a pretty good tone right now going, sounds great on its own but still not quite matching the song mix

Havent tried it yet, but in the past your tones are spot on.  Youre worst enemy is the limits of RS itself.

7 hours ago, dt7667 said:

Havent tried it yet, but in the past your tones are spot on.  Youre worst enemy is the limits of RS itself.

Thanks, yeah RS is a bit of a pain to try and figure out what works and what doesn't. Real world stuff like turning the amp down and using pedals to drive the gain doesn't seem to work the same. Its really hard to get rid of certain distortion sounds that muddy everything up, no matter what you try...

Updated Bodies to V2 with tones as best as I could get them for now. Also revised the chart/tabs for several parts

I think also what's causing some headaches in this track is the way the 2 guitars work together. Rhythm is playing the barre type power chords I believe which adds the heavy low end and lead is playing the higher range stuff. 

Re-working Eye now that I didn't finish last year. Think I've got the first correct tab for that intro riff worked out and arranging a rhythm part right now

• 2 weeks later...

Tab is done for Eye, but I'm trying to work out something more interesting to play bc its pretty repetitive right now...

I'm still not feeling good about the Bodies tone. If somebody can make me a better tone to put on the CDLC, let me know

Current tour setlist, if anyone still has a chance to go... got my tix for next week

fTKdYnM.png

Also, I'm now re-tabbing Eye based on the live w/ Marilyn Manson performance and have beatmapped the song already.. so that one will either be uploaded first or they will both be upped at the same time