Broken Link in Database Removal?

HeplMeh

Question

Is there anyway to get a song with a  broken link removed from the database so maybe someone else can remake and upload a new one?

I've been trying forever to get "One" by Metallica and the one in the database, the link doesn't work.  Myself and many others have left comments that for some reason I can no longer see.  Just curious as the author has not fixed or responded about it as far as I can tell.

4 answers to this question

I don't think anyone is prevented from making their own version of a song. It's not like a song becomes 'ours' just because we made a custom for it.

Especially if the custom was generated from a GuitarPro file, in which case, making your own isn't such a big deal.

The only thing frowned on here is posting someone else's work as your own. But if you remake the CDLC from scratch, there's no issue (except, of course, having multiple versions of the same song in the database. Two versions isn't a big deal. But making people sift through half a dozen versions to find one they like will turn the database into Ultimate Guitar).

You are free to make your own custom and upload it, other people have posted duplicates of songs, as long as they are different and your own work (e.g. you're not reuploading the same file) you are free to do this, there is no rule against it at the moment. Just be aware that in future it may be a possiblity that only one of each song will be allowed, this isn't the case at the moment though :)

Ok, I'll just put in a request so maybe someone can remake it as I have no clue how to make them.  I wasn't sure because I thought one of the guidelines for requests was to make sure that it wasn't already made and in the database.  Thanks guys.

Seems to me that if a song is in the database and the download link gets broken, then someone else who has the file could post it on mediafire or another service, then add the link into the comment thread to the song -- at least until the original charter gets around to putting the link back up.

That seems fair, right?