leading silence error

electricbird

What the error code means depends on whether you're using the re-encode option. If your project path has any non ASCII characters (ie. accented or Unicode characters), the command line OGG encoder EOF uses may not be able to write the file. You can always edit the audio externally, just keep track of how many milliseconds of audio you add, you will want to re-open your EOF project, open Song>Properties and add that number of milliseconds to the "Delay" field here to sync the project to the altered audio.

What the error code means depends on whether you're using the re-encode option. If your project path has any non ASCII characters (ie. accented or Unicode characters), the command line OGG encoder EOF uses may not be able to write the file. You can always edit the audio externally, just keep track of how many milliseconds of audio you add, you will want to re-open your EOF project, open Song>Properties and add that number of milliseconds to the "Delay" field here to sync the project to the altered audio.

Yes, I use the re-encode option, because I can not deselect this option, nor can i select the stream copy (oggcat) option.

But I also can not import mp3's (so I convert the mp3 with audacity to ogg) into EOF in windows (officially paid 8.1 version) running through parallels (officially paid version) om my mac, I can however import mp3's in audacity in windows on my mac, so there must be something odd going on, I just don't know what it is...

As for the project path, there are so far as to my knowledge no folders using non-ASCII characters, just plain standard naming like "yellow submarine" etc...

I already reinstalled EOF, but nothing seems to work...

anything else I can do or try to make EOF work properly for me? without workarounds...

The Windows builds I post have oggCat capability and probably the only obvious reason it may not be working would be a permissions problem such as if you installed EOF within one of the "Program Files" directories.

Error 4 when you use the re-encode option means it couldn't decode the chart audio into memory. However EOF has to do the same thing when creating the waveform graph or spectrogram, are you able to display either for that chart? It also does this when it creates the Rocksmith WAV file for a chart. If none of those other 3 things work, maybe your virtual machine doesn't have enough memory available to it or something. If they do, then I'm not really sure what the issue would be because the creation of any of those 3 things proves that EOF is able to decode the chart audio and had enough memory to do so. I'm not sure what other problems you can run into when running Windows virtualized from Mac. I also don't have Windows 8.1 to test EOF with so that's two added complications.

The Windows builds I post have oggCat capability and probably the only obvious reason it may not be working would be a permissions problem such as if you installed EOF within one of the "Program Files" directories.

Error 4 when you use the re-encode option means it couldn't decode the chart audio into memory. However EOF has to do the same thing when creating the waveform graph or spectrogram, are you able to display either for that chart? It also does this when it creates the Rocksmith WAV file for a chart. If none of those other 3 things work, maybe your virtual machine doesn't have enough memory available to it or something. If they do, then I'm not really sure what the issue would be because the creation of any of those 3 things proves that EOF is able to decode the chart audio and had enough memory to do so. I'm not sure what other problems you can run into when running Windows virtualized from Mac. I also don't have Windows 8.1 to test EOF with so that's two added complications.

EOF is not installed in one of the program files directories, but in the download directory of my mac.

I don't get an error 4, but an error 6 code. And I can show the waveform graph and the spectrogram (even both at the same time). So memory is probably not the issue.

Also, do you have any idea how I can load mp3's without converting them first with audacity?

OK, good news!! I have found and fixed my two problems!! :geek:  

The problem seems that you really need to, when working with EOF on a windows 8.1 through parallels on a mac, make sure you put EOF (the whole shebang of files and folders  and executables) on your windows drive and not on your mac (as i did in my macs download folder). You also need to make sure that your songfolder and mp3 are located on your windows drive!! just put everything on the C-drive of your windows (preferably in the EOF folder, so you can locate everything very easily)...

So now, I can load mp3's without any problem, and I also can add a leading silence without any problem...

Also get error 6 when attempting to add leading silence to track on OSX, but don't follow the solution....is this some hybrid/dual boot stuff?

Have checked permissions....chmod'ed 666 the ogg files, the wav file, the directory. Have also ensured that the path is simple...ie contains no embedded spaces...etc.

To add the leading whitespace in Audacity, is this a find your whitespace in another track, then copy-paste it into a new file, then copy-paste the track you wish to pad into the new track adjacent to the freshly-added leading silence?....or is there some automatic-magic in there somewhere?

Oh yeah I see in the song.ini file there is a line "delay = 0"....what happens if I just bump this up a bit?  I wonder is the value sec's or milli sec's.

In Audacity, you should be able to use the Silence function from the Generate menu, it will insert the specified amount of silence at the current seek position (ie. make sure you seek to the beginning of the song with the Home key first). After this, re-open the project and you should be able to manually click and drag the first beat marker to match the change to the chart audio, or you can just open Song>Properties and add the number of milliseconds of silence you inserted to the value in the Delay field. The delay value in song.ini is the same as the delay value in Song Properties, but it is only used by EOF if you re-import the MIDI file. This isn't recommended because it will lose some timing accuracy and lots of notation that isn't supported in the rhythm games that use MIDI formatted charts.

• 1 month later...

I've found that if you add the silence to the mp3 right at the start, before doing ANY other work, everything else down the line works much better.

I've run into issues re-importing GPA-sync'd files and lyric files if I don't.

If you're going to be syncing lyrics, it works best if you sync using the chart audio after any leading silence has been added to it. Alternatively, you can alter the lyric file after the fact to account for it, but how that's done depends on the lyric format you're using.