What does "highlight non grid snapped notes" actually do?

MartynQ

I thought I was making good progress understanding how to use EoF and producing CDLCs, having looked at quite a lot of tutorials available here.

One of them recommended using "highlight non grid snapped notes" to check how well aligned things were, but I realise that I don't understand what exactly it is doing.

I have (1) started my EoF project and loaded in the mp3 for the song I'm working on, (2) turned on the waveform graph, (3) loaded the .gp5 tab into EoF corresponding to my guitar part, (4) adjusted the bpm to the correct value, and (5) dragged the first note to the right place in the song.  When I now play with the claps turned on, they sound quite well-aligned.  I know that I will need to look more carefully and make minor adjustments to make sure everything stays aligned all the way through, but I haven't done that yet.

However, we then get to my main question.  I turn on "highlight non grid snapped notes".  I would have thought that all notes would be at this point aligned, so I was rather surprised to see the first note of the 26th bar is highlighted as "non grid snapped".  Then the same for the second beat in the 59th bar, and quite a few more occurrences later.

What exactly is this highlighting telling me?

(I'm happy to use the information to adjust my notes, but realise that I don't know how to interpret it.  Apologies in advance for a newbie question, probably...)

• Administrator

I thought I was making good progress understanding how to use EoF and producing CDLCs, having looked at quite a lot of tutorials available here.

(5) dragged the first note to the right place in the song.

What exactly is this highlighting telling me?

I think you missed the three tutorials about beat map syncing which are the most vital of all and all of them said to never move the note directly but the beat themself in EOF.

Now that this is set, non grid snapped note are note that aren't on the grid which is segment of the beat map. You can set the value of the grid in the edit menu of EOF to be as precise as you need to be

But this isn't the most usefull element that you need to master if you don't set your beat map first because no matter how well the note are on the grid, the grid itself will be wrong if the beat map isn't correctly set.

That highlight is mostly an indicator when EOF have some adjustement error during loading which will make the note snap out of the grid by 1ms or so but a good ctrl+a and a ctrl+shift+r will make all note comes back to their rightfull place if the grid is correctly set.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Oops - my error.  In (5), I didn't drag the note, I dragged the marker above the note, i.e., I believe I was dragging the beat.  I had seen those comments in the tutorials, I just expressed myself badly in my description of what I'd done.

I guess I'm asking how on earth a note becomes non grid aligned if I don't drag it... but I guess that it is a consequence of making the bpm adjustment.  So is the correct process after loading, the following:

1. Adjust bpm.

2. Drag all appropriate beats (I believe usually just the first beat in certain measures) into the right place.

3. Use the "ctrl+a" or "ctrl+shift+r" commands to fix in place.

Which menus are the last two commands in?  (I'm just trying to work out exactly what this is doing... also I'm on a Mac, so possibly "ctrl" is a different button to a PC, but possibly not...)

Thanks for the reply and sorry for misleading you with my terminological inaccuracy.

• Administrator

ctrl+a is the select all function common to many applications and will select all note.

ctrl+shift+r is the resnap function in the note menu of EOF.

No worry with the wrong terminology as long as you do it the correct way we're good :D

For Mac you use the Command key instead of the ctrl one for windows.

during BPM adjustement you can by mistake have your cursor go into the highway in EOF which will make the note stay at position they were before and not move with the beat. You can always re-import the gp file once you are done syncing the beat map to make sure you didn't made any wrong manipulation on the note by mistake.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity