Unpack This DAT

MVega

Question

I'm trying to unpack a .DAT file in order to convert the song to RS2014. Since it's one of my favorite songs, I figured it'd make a nice way to get into making CDLCs.

This CDLC is for the Velvet Underground's Pale Blue Eyes and was originally created by Dreddfoxx -- but he's not a member here and seems to have gone AWOL otherwise. I've tried to contact him, but no luck.

The .DAT file sort of works in RS2012 -- it works in the "rehearse" part. But it crashes the game in the Riff Repeater. Also, there is no bass arrangement. Only a combo arrangement. And an XML for vocals. On the other hand, there's a folder for both bass and lead tones.

But, when I unpack it with the Toolkit, EOF isn't able to read the XML file.

I was able to unpack and use the XML files from a couple other .DATs -- unpacking them gives me files labeled "REAL_GUITAR.xml" etc.

BUT: the Pale Blue Eyes DAT gives me an XML  -- labeled as LeadSterlingMorrison.xml

Is there a way to get EOF to recognize the notes anyway?  From what I could see, they seem accurate enough and properly synced, so it'd be a shame to just dump it and start from scratch.

If anyone's interested in checking it out, I've uploaded the .dat here: http://www.filedropper.com/vupbe

5 answers to this question

Yep,  But I found a way to get it to display--  I think it has to do with the difficulty levels. I was playing around with some of the Rocksmith settings. One of them was 'manage RS phrases', and now instead of Supereasy/Easy/Difficult/Amazing it shows as 0* 1 2 3 4 -- the notes are all on the 0* level. (Which maybe explains why it didn't work in the Riff Repeater?)

Now that I've got that, I can move onto the next phase.... figuring out what all that means....

And I just tried importing the rhythm and bass tracks using GP files... this seems to work, but I got lots of weird error messages... looks like this is going to be a long week!

Well, here's what I figured out this morning :eek:

It looks like Dredd Foxx's .xml is pretty well done. On the other hand, I think I can see why he gave up on this one -- he'd have had to rewrite the bass part entirely, since the GP file was written tuned down a step -- it's not too difficult to fix this for the lead and rhythm parts.

At any rate, this is definitely too complex for an absolute beginner like myself. I'm going to start with something simpler.

I'd love it if someone else wanted to take a stab at it. But you'll have to rewrite the bass part --- the song is definitely in the key of F and that poses no problem for the GP file's lead and rhythm parts. But listening to the song itself, it seems clear to me the bassist is playing an octave higher than the GP bass part. (I could be wrong, I was trying to match it with an acoustic guitar.)

If you'd like the GP file for the song, just PM me.

Well, here's what I figured out this morning :eek:

It looks like Dredd Foxx's .xml is pretty well done. On the other hand, I think I can see why he gave up on this one -- he'd have had to rewrite the bass part entirely, since the GP file was written tuned down a step -- and it shouldn't have been.

At any rate, this is definitely too complex for an absolute beginner like myself. I'm going to start with something simpler.

I'd love it if someone else wanted to take a stab at it. But you'll have to rewrite the bass part --- the song is definitely in the key of F and that poses no problem for the GP file's lead and rhythm parts. But listening to the song itself, it seems clear to me the bassist is playing an octave higher than the GP bass part. (I could be wrong, I was trying to match it with an acoustic guitar.)

If you'd like the GP file for the song, just PM me.