Some Help With EoF and Windows 8

PC Plum

Hi,

for convenience I'm trying to use a laptop for working on songs in EoF, but the laptop is Windows 8.

When I try to run EoF (r1375) it takes over full screen and I can see the basic menu functions, but the mouse doesn't work.  I need to task manager the process to a halt to get rid of EoF.

Is there something I need to do to get it working?

I just copied the install folder from my main pc, so all my options will be set to that, but it's only set to 1024x768 so I don't understand why its going fullscreen and I have no clue as to why the mouse will not work.

Thanks!

EOF is likely to have more problems on newer, more-exotic versions of Windows like a Windows 8 laptop. You can try enabling the "software mouse" in File>Display>Display, but if that doesn't work there's probably not much I can do to improve that. EOF will eventually be ported to Allegro 5, but there's no real scheduled timing for that.

• Administrator

It's likely a problem with resolution being incorrect compare to your monitor. I had the same issue when using my EOF config with a high resolution on my W8 pc with a lower resolution. Using a fresh EOF config allowed me to go back to normal.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

If EOF isn't able to create the program window at its configured resolution (if Allegro indicates that it failed to do so), EOF reverts to default screen resolution. It sounds like Windows 8 is drastically different in this department and allows the window to be created even when it won't work correctly..

After I got it working I changed settings again, including screen size to 1024x768 (laptop native resolution is more than big enough), and it reverted to full screen and no mouse.  I had to use the dl'd folders again to get it back.

Guess i need to troubleshoot until I find the highest resolution that EoF can work at on my laptop.

Bit of a bummer working so small :(

I'm going to add an FAQ entry in the manual for it (becoming less of a frequently asked question section and more of an unusual behavior document). Supposedly, you should generally be able to use any resolution smaller than your laptop's current screen resolution, so you could try setting 800x600 (in File>Display>Display) and then setting a custom window width (File>Display>Set display width) of perhaps up to 1000 pixels. Windows may have restrictions EOF doesn't know about (ie. y resolution may have to be a multiple of a particular number), so you may have to try multiple times to get one that works. These functions are fully accessible with the keyboard so you can try multiple settings without having a mouse.