Best Positions

Prits_uk2002

Question

Just wanted to know what position and viewing angle are you guys and girl in when playing RS. Im finding it a bit tricky looking at the screen which is directly infront of me to see what notes i have to hit then looking on my left to see where the frets are, by the time i get back to the screen im all lost lol. PS as you can tell im a complete begginer. Im thinking perhasp i could get some playing tips for the game. I am doing the tutorials at the moment as it seems like a great place for a begginer to start. Thanks for your time

4 answers to this question

the short answer is, I sit directly in front of the monitor.

my suggestion would be to not let it worry you too much, just slow the song down to a speed that gives you time to look at both and focus on playing the chord/note correctly. as you build up muscle memory with practice you will get faster and rely less on needing to see the fret board and more on feeling your way around the fret board.

you will find that time and practice will be your best bet to getting past the need to look at the fret board to check you hand positions. 

it's a bit like when you first started typing on a keyboard and you needed to look at the keyboard, then suddenly one day you were typing without looking at the keyboard at all.

• Like 1

Since I play on my notebook, I usually have it in front of me, somewhere lower than myself, something like between my legs/waist (so basically it is downwards, so it´s easy for me to check the guitar, just flipping the eyes).
I also play switching from sitting and standing everytime, but I usually play afoot.

But sometimes I also play it on my large tv (with a 5meters hdmi cable - when I´m alone), because of the great boost on sound and a bigger screen dimensions.

I just start with some fun easy song (paramore or satisfaction of rolling stones), then take my time trying new or already played songs, lessons and minigames.
Hope it helps you.

There is a learning curve, you will get there.  It's difficult to sight read Rocksmith at first.

I don't think it matters too much how/where you sit, as long as you are comfortable.  I would suggest a short strap length though, if you are sitting with the guitar on your lap, so that it takes some/most of the weight.

I'd pick a few songs you like and practice them hard, that will help you get used to reading charts.