Rocksmith Audio Lags using S/PDIF

TomYemX

Question

HI Guys!

My computer is connected via S/PDIF to my LG micro stereo.

For some reason there's a noticeable delay from the moment I play until I hear it through the speakers.

Changing the latency settings helped a little, but caused static noises from the speakers.

Is there something I can improve with my configuration or drivers?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

HI Guys!

For some reason there's a noticeable delay from the moment I play until I hear it through the speakers.

Changing the latency settings helped a little, but caused static noises from the speakers.

Thanks!

Can you provide the technical specs of your computer? 

HI Guys!

Thanks!

Can you provide the technical specs of your computer? 

Hi, sorry for the delay

Processor: Intel E8400 3.0 GHz

RAM: 4Gb

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP43 DS3

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM

Do you need anything else?

I'd put the lag down to your LG.  Different dacs (systems, whatever) work differently.  It may even be buffering the incoming signal, which would cause a slight delay.  Also, if you have processing switched on (like bass boost/synthetic surround sound) that can add a processing delay too.

I can hook my pc up to my amp with a line output or to my dac via the optical out of the motherboard.  I find a slight delay using the digital out too.

I hooked my pc up to my mate's Audiolab cd player/dac, and it had horrendeous lag.

For watching movies and playing some games a little lag is fine (and you would never notice), but for Rocksmith where milliseconds are critical I'd stick to an analogue connection to external equipment.

Disclaimer - this is my personal opininion and I and I am well aware that a LOT of people will be perfectly happy using offboard dacs/usb dacs etc.  Latency is a completely personal tolerance and obviously the poster is having trouble or he would not have posted - just trying to offer some advice :D

So the advice would be to try the game using a pair of headphones plugged straight into your pc.  If the lag dissapears then it does seem to be the LG causing it.

• Like 2

You are supposed to use only your onboard soundcard, any discrete soundcard will cause lag. You didn't provide info on that so mb that'll help.

I personally use my firewire soundcard, which means I have disabled my onboard soundcard in the bios. Not lagging.