New Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass! (How to remove scuffs?)

y2kbug

Hey all! I just got the Special Aerodyne Jazz Bass from Fender, one of their more recent lines. I've been eyeing this one for a while and I absolutely love its sound/design.

I got it used from Guitar Center, which in itself is a miracle because this thing has been impossible for me to find (without paying $1,300) otherwise. Everything plays beautifully, and I'm ecstatic that it's here- the only thing is that it has a little scuff mark on its side, close to where you'd insert the cable. It doesn't look like a regular scratch and is gray in color, so I was wondering:

A) What might have caused this?
B) Is it repairable?

It's not a significant nor very visible scuff, so I can totally live without fixing it, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any methods to clear it up. Thanks!

bass1.jpg

bass2.jpg

bass3.jpg

bass4.jpg

Joke:

It is roadwear, people are now spending good money for a roadworn finish.

Not Joke;

It is difficult to say from a photo and not having it in my hand to say for certain, but appears to me a scuff from say rubber or someone's belt.

You will want to be very gentle in trying to remove it. There are different ways to do so. If it is not a transfer scuff but actual damage to the finish you can and will make the damage worse.

Try gently using a dab of dish soap, a SLIGHTLY damp cloth. Try it on the ivory colored binding first to not damage the blue portion. If soap works, try the blue, gently. If that does not work, try a dab of toothpaste and a soft cloth, say micro fiber cloth, and again just do there on the binding first as to not damage the blue. try GENTLY so to not damage the clear coat or go into the blue. IF it comes off, gently try the blue.

There are other compounds like Nufinish that can gentle buff it out, but keep in mind that it is an abrasive, but tooth paste is an abrasive also. Use a wax after wards, again with a soft cloth.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sniper Reload3d said:

Joke:

It is roadwear, people are now spending good money for a roadworn finish.

Not Joke;

It is difficult to say from a photo and not having it in my hand to say for certain, but appears to me a scuff from say rubber or someone's belt.

You will want to be very gentle in trying to remove it. There are different ways to do so. If it is not a transfer scuff but actual damage to the finish you can and will make the damage worse.

Try gently using a dab of dish soap, a SLIGHTLY damp cloth. Try it on the ivory colored binding first to not damage the blue portion. If soap works, try the blue, gently. If that does not work, try a dab of toothpaste and a soft cloth, say micro fiber cloth, and again just do there on the binding first as to not damage the blue. try GENTLY so to not damage the clear coat or go into the blue. IF it comes off, gently try the blue.

There are other compounds like Nufinish that can gentle buff it out, but keep in mind that it is an abrasive, but tooth paste is an abrasive also. Use a wax after wards, again with a soft cloth.

Haha. Looks like I got a special roadwear edition. 

Thank you for the insight! I know it’s hard to tell from just photos, but it’s much appreciated. As much as it looks like it might just be transfer scuff, I actually do think I feel a little bit of roughness when I touch it, so I’m not going to try to clean it just yet as a precaution. 

I will look into it further and keep your method in mind if I find that it really is just a mark, and not a scratch. Thanks again, cheers!