Locked At what point does anti-piracy policy turn into pro-scalper policy?

Reiker Forge

Question

I recently lost my xbox disk for Rocksmith from wear&tear and was going to buy it on PC this december as a christmas present so I could finally get to some CDLC as well, only to find out (Way too late) that Rocksmith 2014 can't be purchased anymore. 

This leaves me with a total of three options that Ubisoft has forced on the entire community out of greed.

A : Go fuck myself. I don't actually need to learn songs via the best way possible outside private tutoring. 

B : Give in to scalpers and pay over 200$ for a copy of Rocksmith, which will only get worse as the supply runs out. It's already this bad and it's only been a month.

C : Pirate the game, which technically isn't piracy because I already paid for it. 

At some point B is going to become a bigger problem than C, especially given people who paid for the game now have no good recourse to repurchase if their disk breaks like in my scenario. Ubisoft is going to create pirates out of actual buyer/supporters of the game at this rate, and CustomsForge is kinda going to end up in the middle of this, so it'd be a good time now to revisit the potential problems being anti-piracy causes at this point in the games life cycle. I might actually consider buying the game at 200$, but most won't, and you'll lose your community over time if you don't change the policy on what people who bought the game can do with it now that it is no longer for sale. 

4 answers to this question

C : Yes but no. You paid for the Xbox version, not the PC version. If you wanted to play the PC version, you always had to pay for the PC version, even if you bought the xbox version.

But yep, you're SOL. You can hopefully get the game that's been delisted for less than a crazy amount, or just kinda suck it up and know you're breaking the rules of the community if you opt for that route. I'm sure the admins have had discussions with both the original RS and with RS2014 now being delisted, but they chose to keep the rules the same.

It's your choice what you do in regards to the community rules, but considering this is your first post, I doubt your argument is going to be the one that changes the minds of the admins

On 11/30/2023 at 9:10 AM, Reiker Forge said:

I recently lost my xbox disk for Rocksmith from wear&tear and was going to buy it on PC this december as a christmas present so I could finally get to some CDLC as well, only to find out (Way too late) that Rocksmith 2014 can't be purchased anymore. 

This leaves me with a total of three options that Ubisoft has forced on the entire community out of greed.

A : Go fuck myself. I don't actually need to learn songs via the best way possible outside private tutoring. 

B : Give in to scalpers and pay over 200$ for a copy of Rocksmith, which will only get worse as the supply runs out. It's already this bad and it's only been a month.

C : Pirate the game, which technically isn't piracy because I already paid for it. 

At some point B is going to become a bigger problem than C, especially given people who paid for the game now have no good recourse to repurchase if their disk breaks like in my scenario. Ubisoft is going to create pirates out of actual buyer/supporters of the game at this rate, and CustomsForge is kinda going to end up in the middle of this, so it'd be a good time now to revisit the potential problems being anti-piracy causes at this point in the games life cycle. I might actually consider buying the game at 200$, but most won't, and you'll lose your community over time if you don't change the policy on what people who bought the game can do with it now that it is no longer for sale. 

Its currently about 55 bucks on amazon for pc and xbox. its apparently 35 on ps3 disc,  

On 11/30/2023 at 8:10 PM, Reiker Forge said:

I bought my first guitar in november this year. In my country I can only buy the game through scalpers for $200. Custom Forge and Mod installer rules are hilarious. Only those who purchased are able to use convenient ways to interact with the game. Everyone else can't do anything. I chose option C.