Song too quiet (question about track vs tone volume)

Billkwando

Question

I have a song that is basically perfect volume-wise relative to the volume of the tones, but way too quiet in comparison (both preview and gameplay) to other songs in my list, which forces me to adjust the volume when I play it.

I want to boost it to match the volume of the other songs in the list, which I'm aware I can do in the toolkit. My question is, if I raise the song (for example) 2db, if I raise the tone volume for each tone by 2db as well, will that exactly approximate the relative volume I had achieved before, while making the whole thing louder, or are the ratios not exact?

Also, does the db setting for the track volume govern the volume of the preview as well?

If not, then in the song list it would appear to the user that the song might be too quiet, even though in actuality it isn't, which is a minor concern, but still a concern.

Thanks!

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

4 answers to this question

Oh freaky, when did this come out? Mine's only like a month old. Thanks!

Will it work with all my old package files? I rely on them pretty heavily (loading old ones to re-generate) since I revise my customs A LOT.

Hopefully someone knows the answer about the correlation between the tone volume and track volume. I'd assume they're uniform, but assumptions can be tricky. ;)

- Billkwando

Yeah, the newest toolkit builds will definitely work with your older packages.As for the volume, and the relationship between the track and guitar volumes, I couldn't say for sure (great question though!). Since the two have an inverse relationship, maybe try increasing the track volume by the same value that you "decrease" the guitar volume and see how it turns out. I could easily be wrong though ;)As a charter, I'm pretty sure you know what I mean. But for anyone who doesn't...... in order to increase the track (or preview) volume, you must bump the db value up closer to 0. For the tones, it's the opposite. You'll need to decrease the value, away from "0", farther into the negative numbers.

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

As a charter, I'm pretty sure you know what I mean. But for anyone who doesn't...... in order to increase the track (or preview) volume, you must bump the db value up closer to 0. For the tones, it's the opposite. You'll need to decrease the value, away from "0", farther into the negative numbers.

I know! It's so confusing! Hahahahahahaha.....but I'll survive. ;)

This is the song I was working on when I was asking about that:

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/prince-computer-blue-r3537

I have to wait in suspense til I get home to find out if I did the volumes backwards (I was too sleepy to do anything other than start it up and check for ampswall) . Would anybody like to try it out and tell me? hahahaha

- Billkwando