Toopee

Question

Hi!

I'm facing two very special issue here while transcribing Freak Like Me by Halestorm.

During the solo, Joe Hottinger uses a slide ring to play notes alternating between the 1st and 2nd cord from fret 17 up to 24... and then keeps going up to the bridge, faster and faster (I think at one point he reaches a theoretical 32th fret, from what I heard, but I'm no pro)

I guess he's not the first one doing it, but well... I never saw that, to be honest.

First an simplest issue is... how would you display an alternating slide between two cords?

I'm thinking about either just writing the notes with no slide, or short slides of 1 fret, or slides with no ending, but I think it'll look confusing.

Second, and that's a bigger issue I assume has no real solution, how to even write this part?

When I try this on EOF, it tells me fret higher than 24 won't display correctly in Rocksmith 2 (and well, I can't blame it :))

Should I just ignore the part above 24? Replace by 0s or 24s?

Note: the best video I found about it (well, that's where I understood how he did it)

Timestamp 2:50 (already set in the following link to make it easier for you if you don't like that kind of music ;))

https://youtu.be/88VK9KcO2Jg?t=2m50s

I could also do just like this acoustic version where it's been extremely simplified, but... man, where's the fun?

I just wish Rocksmith would support and display slide rings ;)

4 answers to this question

• Administrator

You could use tremolo picked slide that goes up to the 24th fret but i'm not sure how good it would actually look like in game.

That's the kind of scenario where you need to experiment with a few different options and maybe even try the "display nothing" style cause it might be better to indicate nothing that something that is just weird or doesn't seems correct.

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

You could use tremolo picked slide that goes up to the 24th fret but i'm not sure how good it would actually look like in game.

That's the kind of scenario where you need to experiment with a few different options and maybe even try the "display nothing" style cause it might be better to indicate nothing that something that is just weird or doesn't seems correct.

Thanks firekorn

I think I'll try something else: lowering the solo by an octave and using a custom tuning.

On a gameplay side it kinda makes sense as you'll play the correct thing even if it's not ideal as it's not really the way it's supposed to be done.

At least, all the notes will be there

• Administrator

@@Toopee It's not uncommon to have some technique to not be shown in official DLC because the game doesn't have any proper way to display it.

Playing a solo an octave down means that big stretch might be way harder or impossible to play and it makes the use of open string during the solo impossible too. I see many problem that could creep up on such a situation that i wouldn't pursue such solution.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@@firekorn I totally get your point, but in this specific case, it works pretty well

The "solo" is quite simple (solo is really an overstatement I'd say), basically a slide up from 17 up to "32" then down to 12.

The only thing it changes is the speed of the movement you make from 5 to 20 then down to 0.

I'll need to have someone testing it, but I think it's worth a shot ;)

I'm almost done, I'm really interrested having your feedback on that one.

Edit: Finished the first version, if you want to take a look:

http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/freak-like-me-r34162