Ignition! Thank-You! Some feedback.

Berneer

Question

Hi everyone!

First, an immense gratitude to those of you who are taking our passionate hobby to a whole new level. The level of sophistication and improvement of this site and of Ignition is remarkable. I hope the site admins, mods and developpers realize how truly thankful we are. Thankfulness across a moniter/keyboard is not always palpable but it most certainly is omnipresent, I am sure.

I thought I'd share my work flow to underline what I love about Ignition and share some thoughts on tiny possible improvements. I understand I might be in the minority, but every month I spend 5-6 hours obsessively making sure my CDLC collection is up-to-date and complete with all the latest new songs I fancy by (1) reviewing every forum post "preview" of the 1400+ CDLC I follow (only those posted upon since my last monthly review) to make sure I have the latest version, (2) downloading new songs, and (3) renaming the files. This month, with Ignition Beta it only took me 2 hours (if I ignore the 10 hours it took me to go into every single dedicated forum post page of the 1400 CDLC I have and "Follow" on the "Click here to view records" page, in order to unleash the power of Ignition. :) )

My new procedure with Ignition:
1. Nightly browse, now in Ignition. "Add to collection" whatever new CDLC released that I expect I'll like. I also click "Save for Later" to remind me to download it later when I have time. Also I check the little red number in the top right of Ignition in my Avatar indicating notifications of updated content. I click that and whatever songs have been listed as updated I "Save for Later" too.
2. Then I go into the "Submitted CDLC" forum and for every CDLC added to my Collection, I find the topic and go "Follow the Topic" too. (To be aware of comments about each CDLC ..... yup I get lots of e-mails daily ... :)
3. Even if I didn't do Step 2 above, which I think most people don't, I still need to go to each post in the "Submitted CDLC" forum in order to be able to press the Thank-You button since I cannot thank from the "Click here to view the record" page accessible from Ignition.
4. At the end of the month, I simply mass download the 50 or so new CDLC I "Save(d) for Later", keeping the CDLC status as "Save(d) for Later" so I can easily find all the infomation in Step 5 below.
5. Though useless in-game, I rename the files in the following time-consuming but helpful format so I could always know from a glance in Windows Explorer what features each song has and does not have:

IronMaiden-HallowedBeThyName-Snake3169-v.2.0-RS2014PC-RR-DD-Lead,Rhythm,Bass,Vocals-Estd-ACESHIGH_p.psarc

6. One by one I "Remove from Saved" each CDLC in Ignition.
7. Move all the new CDLC into the /dlc folder making sure to push aside (move elsewhere) duplicate copies from another charter.
8. Play song (eventually :) ).
9. Search for the song in the "Submitted CDLC" forum and leave feedback and/or "Like" the topic. I wish I were more diligent with this last step... Love you all!

So I am quite content with Ignition in that it has more than halved the time I spend updating my library instead of clicking hundreds of forum buttons scouring version numbers in the forum and in my /dlc directory checking they match or not.

Aside: I'm now aware that in those 6 hours I spent monthly, I was idiotic enough not to realize that "Follow" instead of "Follow Topic" would've alerted me of CDLC updates and the time saving I now experience is not all new to Ignition. I'm sorta embarrassed to admit this but hey. But Ignition does further refine the process.

So in the 5 or so hours I've spent with Ignition Beta (in Firefox) in my latest CDLC library refresh I have the following suggestions that you can feel free to disregard as they are mostly cosmetic and not too important, which is a tribute to how well thought out and clever your work has been:

Priority (IMO)
1. In order for the community to thrive with dialogue and for charters to remain motivated I think it is important to introduce into Ignition the ability to press "Thanks" since it is not available inthe ""View Record" page..

Low Priority
1. Ability to resize the columns
2. Ability to show more than 100 items per page though admittedly the load time from page to page is lightning quick. Nice job!!!
3. Ability to defaulting to all Artist (or however the list is sorted) trees collapsed or un-collapsed. Perhaps can add a button to Collapse all entires on page and Uncollapse all entries on page.
4. Add an optional column beside DD column called RR column. Sometimes charters don't include RR and in such a case I'd like to know to stay away from or leave feedback on that CDLC. I would also add an optional column for Custom Tones, Score Attack as well as Azrael's suggestions for Multitrack and Metronome.
5. Ability to apply the same action to multiple CDLC entries. Ex: "Remove from Saved".
6. Ability in the Forums (Content I Follow page) to toggle on or off to "Follow" a CDLC. Currently this feature only allows single/multiple CDLC toggling of "Follow Topic" from Daily to Instantly to Weekly to Not at All etc. and nothing about "Following" (i.e. following only for updates). I do see a "Notify Me of Updates" option which I tried toggling on for a given CDLC, but going back to the forum and checking that CDLC post in the "Click here to view Record" page doesn't show me as a "Follower".
7. No need to refresh page to see changes made: Ex: "Remove from Saved" could make the entry disappear from this view as soon as "Remove from Saved" is pressed.
8. Perhaps allowing users to choose to share or not share their collection contents is useful. Example: I've realized that I like pretty much every musical taste of SmellyOrc, chlipouni and Jazzie, and many others' too so I could discover new things by seeing what they have in their collection. Some might feel exposed by this so it would be good to have the ability to turn off sharing in one's personal settings. Or perhaps anonymous following takes care of the exposure problem.

Bugs:
1. When I click on "FAQ" on the bottom of the Ignition page it is not a hyperlink and cannot be selected. Same for "Submit Issue" and "Rules".
2. When clicking on the left-most icon for drop down menu and select one of the 4 options, say, "Add to Collection", the dialog box doesn't disappear and one must click outside box to make it disappear.

Once again, I think you guys are awesome!! Thanks for all the hard work!! I wish I had the know-how to pull-off what you guys did.

Of course if you have a better work flow than mine, then please let me know.

By the way I've noticed from Ignition that we have some quite prolific charters with more than 100 CDLC to their name. Staggering! Kudos to you!

Shakman828 355
Antithez 206
Shinyditto12 200
JazzD & Soilman 179 each
PCPlum & Xstatic 165 each
benixix 154
smirocsmo 142
Sirandok 134
UKLooney 129
Nacholede 117
YLedbetter 113
Brooklyn_Sounds 110

Wow you made it all the way to the end of this long post.... :) ...Happy New Year Customsforge!

• Like 3

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet