Using a midi controller

1ndy

Question

I happened to wonder what happens if I attempted to use a midi controller instead of a guitar-like instrument.  (think left of hand of piano as playing similar tones as bass)

Previously I had updated the my settings to allow the use of an Apogee Jam rather than the Realtone cable and had much success with this method via Aggregate Device Settings on OSX...This is a simple preference update, no kludge.  (though you need to understand the frequency range you are operating in or suddenly out of range notes are not detected).

However when I look at the Audio Devices window in Audio Midi Setup, I can't see my midi controller (as an Audio Device), though it is present in the Midi Devices window.  This seems to mean that I can't add the midi controller to a new Aggregate (Audio) Device.  I'll call this Problem #1.

If I could get past problem #1, I think it would expose Problem #2, being...

I suspect there is a gap between what the midi controller outputs and the input expected.  Typically to use the midi controller,  software is required to determine which frequency the midi controller is currently mimicking and that RS2014 does not fulfil this role.  (or perhaps if you specified the frequency range tightly/accurately enough the low value corresponds to C if your midi controller's lowest note is C)....enhancement request for Ubisoft perhaps?  I'm not sure of how easily we transpose tab to keyboard, seems like it could be confusing to translate tab back to note and there's a limitation regarding the number of keys the midi controller has, particularly if you're using a microkey device with much fewer keys than normal keyboard.

Perhaps I should email Neil Young requesting an update to Crime in the City for the Rocksmith generation.  "No vocal, no song, no audio device, no midi output processing, possibly missing keys".

Anyone else tried the midi path, or similar lunacy and care to share their insights?

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

Hmm... interesting question.

If I understand the question correctly, maybe use a workaround instead.  I would just use two computers. One computer with the midi device (like a midi keyboard) hooked up to it with your Apogee, using whatever DAW/VST you are using to simulate guitar sounds. Try to mimic clean guitar sounds, not distorted ones, as that's what Rocksmith will expect.

Feed the guitar-simulated output from computer #1 into the Realtone cable of computer #2 that's playing Rocksmith. 

I would guess, in theory, this would work. Maybe you don't even need to simulate guitar notes.

Here's a video of a guy just plugging his keyboard into Rocksmith and playing along. So if you get your midi controller to just feed the note frequency, I'm guessing it'll work, too.

Another video. In the comments, the poster mentions about using the proper frequencies for the notes, as well.

Not exactly related, but since we are talking midi and guitars. You're kind of doing the opposite of the Fishman Tripleplay (which turns a regular guitar into a midi controller). In this case, it's trying to make a guitar sound like a keyboard (or drums, accordian, organ, etc). This looks pretty cool.

I would guess, in theory, this would work. Maybe you don't even need to simulate guitar notes.

Here's a video of a guy just plugging his keyboard into Rocksmith and playing along. So if you get your midi controller to just feed the note frequency, I'm guessing it'll work, too.

Another video. In the comments, the poster mentions about using the proper frequencies for the notes, as well.

Not exactly related, but since we are talking midi and guitars. You're kind of doing the opposite of the Fishman Tripleplay (which turns a regular guitar into a midi controller). In this case, it's trying to make a guitar sound like a keyboard (or drums, accordian, organ, etc). This looks pretty cool.

Thanks for the response.

Those videos were great, though they look to be using the keyboard as instrument rather than as midi controller, but I suspect this why you suggest the 2nd computer workaround.

That guy playing along to the session accompaniment is the best video I've seen of someone smoothly using that aspect of RS....which when I try to use it with bass or guitar, it seems very disjointed and produces a less than pleasurable musical output.

The Fishman Tripleplay looks to be Witchcraft.  It looks to let the user's imagination be the limit to their musical creativity.  I suppose it encourages mastery of a single instrument, but seems to have much potential for abuse. eg now even a guitarist can make all those bad noises that previously were limited to users of synthesizers.

A solution to Problem #1 might pop-up at some stage, which may allow other aspects of using a midi controller to be explored.  If I get anywhere I'll post some updates.

I only play bass. Just letting you know.

(nods head in approving manner...focus is good...that we can each have our own optimal level of focus makes me happy).

I attempt to play every instrument like a bass, though it can be nice to understand how other instruments are played, ultimately they are a distraction.