Any step-by-step guide to make SMALL chart changes?

Shroud

Sometimes there is a good CDLC with a very small chart mistake: a wrong note, a missing marker, an awkward fretting, and so on.

I would like to learn how to make such small chart fixes myself, with the minimum amount of work.

Can someone help me out writing a step-by-step guide for this purpose?

I expect that such process in broad strokes goes like this:

1- unpack a CDLC into individual files

2- edit the chart file in EoF

3- repack/rebuild the CDLC 

What tool to use for steps 1 & 3, and what file to edit? What would be the details of each step? Any other steps required?

I am trying to keep this to the minimum effort required, limited to adding/removing/changing notes to the chart. I am not considering bigger changes like fixing the tempo mapping or adding new instruments. 

• Like 1

You can unpack and repack .psarc files using the DLC Builder.

The .xml files are the path files.

Here are the steps:

1. Drag .psarc into DLC Builder and choose a folder to output all the files to.
  2. That folder will have .xml files for each arrangement (lead, rhythm, bass, alt paths, vocals,) and the lights.
  3. Open EOF and go to File -> Import -> Rocksmith
  4. Select the .xml file for the arrangement you want to change.
  5. Find the problem areas and make your changes. (If you need help for this step let me know)
  6. Save the EOF project (not in the same folder as your extract files to keep the .xml files separate.
  7. Open the .rs2dlc file from the extracted .psarc folder.
  8. Right click the arrangement you changed and remove it.
  9. Click the + next to Arrangements and import the newly created .xml file(s) from your EOF project folder.
  10. Click "Build Test" or "Build Release" if you want to test the new arrangement or if you're ready for it to be considered completed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll own you one day. 💜

Custom Shop Solo II.png

11 minutes ago, BluesMcGroove said:

Worth noting with Phantasy's steps here: DLC Builder has an option to flatten DD when unpacking a psarc and creating an EOF file. You want that option selected

Good tip Blues! (I never actually unpack and repack psarcs so I didn't think about that function)

• Like 1

I'll own you one day. 💜

Custom Shop Solo II.png

Just now, Phantatsy said:

Good tip Blues! (I never actually unpack and repack psarcs so I didn't think about that function)

Yeah, I've done a couple chart repairs, and that's a necessary option when doing so. Otherwise the notes are all dispersed over difficulty levels in EOF and you can't find the right spot to adjust the notes. Becomes an exercise in futility lol

• Like 1

Just now, BluesMcGroove said:

Yeah, I've done a couple chart repairs, and that's a necessary option when doing so. Otherwise the notes are all dispersed over difficulty levels in EOF and you can't find the right spot to adjust the notes. Becomes an exercise in futility lol

As soon as you mentioned it, I quickly realized why you would want to do that.

• Like 1

I'll own you one day. 💜

Custom Shop Solo II.png

Thank you so much to both of you! 🙂 I followed your instructions and was able to make changes to a couple of CDLCs, tested in game they worked fine.

I only encountered a couple of minor issues, just FYI:

- after editing an xml in EOF and using the result as a replacement in the rs2dlc file, it looks like the DLC Builder always says that the new track has an error about having notes in the first measure instead of having an empty first measure; however if I just ignore this error, nothing seems to be wrong in-game

- for some reason, my progress with the CDLC is reset to 0, even though the song ID/key looks still the same when checked in CFSM, and the game does remember if the CDLC was marked by me as a "favourite"

But these are definitely minor glitches I can certainly live with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shroud said:

- after editing an xml in EOF and using the result as a replacement in the rs2dlc file, it looks like the DLC Builder always says that the new track has an error about having notes in the first measure instead of having an empty first measure; however if I just ignore this error, nothing seems to be wrong in-game

That would be because having an empty first measure is part of the CDLC creation standard. It may work fine, but that doesn't mean it should be like that for a good chart. It's an easy fix, and generally I wouldn't ignore the DLC Builder's errors. However, there are some minor problems DLC Builder will complain about that can safely be ignored.

• Like 1

I'll own you one day. 💜

Custom Shop Solo II.png

1 hour ago, Phantatsy said:

That would be because having an empty first measure is part of the CDLC creation standard. It may work fine, but that doesn't mean it should be like that for a good chart. It's an easy fix, and generally I wouldn't ignore the DLC Builder's errors. However, there are some minor problems DLC Builder will complain about that can safely be ignored.

The weird thing is that I don't think the original CDLCs show that error when I load them up the first time in DLC Builder to unpack them, but they give me the error when I replace the xml with the one I edited in EOF, even though I didn't change anything at the beginning of the chart.

• Like 1

Just now, Shroud said:

The weird thing is that I don't think the original CDLCs show that error when I load them up the first time in DLC Builder to unpack them, but they give me the error when I replace the xml with the one I edited in EOF, even though I didn't change anything at the beginning of the chart.

You may want to try validating the arrangements on the original CDLC files to be sure that's the case. It's not really that big of a deal if you're just making these changes for yourself anyways. If it works for you, then it works, and there isn't much to worry about.

Even though there are many standards we would like every CDLC to have, doesn't mean that they will have them.

• Like 2

I'll own you one day. 💜

Custom Shop Solo II.png