Looking into a new bass

Ok so im looking into getting a new bass guitar Ive been playing about 2 years but only really got serious about learning about a few months back i have a $200 ibanez right now which isnt bad but i figure its about time for a upgrade. my price range is about $500-$700. ive seen a few basses that have peeked my interest like the fender P basses but im just not 100% sure So i thought id ask for some advice and or recommendations anything is really appreciated . Thank.

I recommend putting a few different types in your hands and seeing which feels best. I have one of those Ibanez basses as well, use it fairly regularly. Been thinking about an upgrade as well; the Fenders feel unbalanced to me. They might not to you. My only real exception is to the Cort basses. I wouldn't recommend those to anyone. It's not the neck or how it plays; it's the fact that playing one of those is a lot like strapping an anvil to your neck. Weighty, uncomfortable instruments.

You'll find a decent amount of stuff out there from a variety of makers in that range, unless you're a southpaw player. If so, your options are quite limited no matter what price point you have, and good luck finding many in colors other than black (if that matters to you).

When I was buying in that range decades ago, I went into a store to buy an Ibenez in that range.  I already had my mind set on it, until I tried a Spector that they had there (I had not heard of Spector basses before that).  I fell in love with the Spector and had to buy it.  So, I would recommend going to stores and pawn shops and trying as many basses as possible before you buy.  Try bolt-on necks, neck-through designs, and different neck thicknesses.  You might be surprised by the ones you really like.

I play a Peavey Cirrus BXP model which are great to play and a decent price too, about £400 compared to the USA cirrus which is about £1200, quite light and have a smaller body than most basses I've played. It's a 24 fret bass (having the extra frets is a perk imo) with active pickups, which is not so much a perk when it comes to 2 x 9v batteries being a requirement (Rechargeable batteries are highly recommended if you play more than 12 hours a week!) but those pickups deliver a great resonance/sustain and harmonics are easy to play on it. If you don't mind the aesthetics being a bit garish (the USA models are much prettier) then give one a try if you get to sample some basses in store or from the seller. I have a Fender Jazz copy and find I love the sound but not keen on the weight, though having a decent padded strap is definitely a help. Flea bass or Musicman might be worth looking at and trying out as they're lighter but deliver a similar feel to a fender, they can also be expensive but, like Flameout101 said, if you shop about there are bargains to be had with secondhand ones. 

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony