Jump to content

Relative Diminished?

Recommended Posts

I'm putting this here because, honestly, I have no idea what to do with this question.



So, when you write a chord progression, you might substitute a major chord for its relative minor (a minor chord whose root is two notes below the substituted major chord) or, for that matter, a minor chord can be substituted with a major chord by reversing the process.



But could you substitute either with a relative diminished chord one note below/above for major and minor respectively? It sounds like it could make sense, but of course you'd get a very peculiar sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrator

It's really your own appreciation that matter here, dissonant chord is acceptable if they're wanted by the author. Harmonically, it might seems a bit odd at first but if the full progression is the same as a major or minor (same intervals) it should seems right.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy