Bass. Issue with strings/frets

Iaitoo

Question

Hey.

I have some problems with my bass. Might be me tho, and not the instrument :P

On some frets, the string will make an aweful grinding noise when I play it. Not sure how to describe it, but it doesnt play a smooth tone. But its noisy.

When I push the string down on the neck, it seems like it almost hits the fret below the one I want it to hit as well as the one I want it to hit. So that when the string is played, it hits the one under it. 

This is especially a problem on E string and also a bit on the A string. 

Im new to bass, so I dont know alot about the setup on em. But can I raise the bridge to fix it? Tried it on the E string which made it a little better, but the looser the string is, the worse it is.

I have tried holding the string as damn hard as I can, and looser. No difference there.

Maybe my bass sucks? Or I suck? I dont know :P

Any tips?

3 answers to this question

• Administrator

It's a setup problem, your strings, when they're vibrating, touch the frets bellow which make a metallic noise. Tighten up the strings and higher bridge should do most of the job or changing the actual curve of the neck is also a solution.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

It's a setup problem, your strings, when they're vibrating, touch the frets bellow which make a metallic noise. Tighten up the strings and higher bridge should do most of the job or changing the actual curve of the neck is also a solution.

Thanks for the reply :) Will try to raise the bridge some more. Cant really tighten the strings, as it will take em out of tune. Well. Guess I have to retune it if a raise the bridge some more. Will give it a go.

You can check the curvature of your neck with a long ruler for example. Place it against the fretboard and check if the neck bends outwards like this: )| or inwards like this: (| . The curvature will not be as exaggerated of course, it will be very small if any so look carefully.

If it bends outwards like )| the strings are very likely to hit the "hump" in the middle of the neck and create buzz. You can remedy this by loosening the truss rod of the neck (turning counter-clockwise). If you start messing with the truss rod make only a little change, like a 1/8th of a turn, let the wood settle for a while and then check again.

I personally prefer having just a little inwards curvature, I think you can make it flat too, that's up to preference.