tips to start a rock band

telmovaz

im looking to move away from Rocksmith and play with real people. Nothing serious, just throw back a couple beers after a hard day of work and rock out.

thing is, I don't know anybody where I live now.

Can I get some pointers on how to start a band when you don't really have friends (this sounds more dramatic than it is really)

I'm thinking maybe put up some flyers at local music shops, will that work or am I wasting my time?

any answer is appreciated

Does anyone in Poland advertise on "Join my Band" (or similar web sites)?  It's not ideal - it's like internet dating for band members, but I have managed to join a band through it, and have had a couple of interesting experiences along the way...  :wacko:

• Like 1

I used a band finding website, for my country. You can try posting flyers if you have a local music shop, I know there a lots of flyers in mine. Otherwise, I have no other idea  :D I was in a band for a while but it didn't really work out, so since I can't find anyone else wanting to play what I want, I just do everything myself. It's tough and time-consuming, but it pays off in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I too was in your case @Telmovaz:

no friends in common to set up a band and even less in the styles I wanted to play.

So I went through a dating site for musician (easyzik for France) and I ended up integrating a group in the style that I wanted by chance.

I guess in USA, it must be easier

PS: the ads on rehearsal studio had not given anything.

Musically.

The way I got into my biggest project was a flyer on my university campus. It said "Drummer and bassist wanted for prog metal band. We like Trivium, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, and Evanescence." I called the number, a month passed, they tried me out and then we wrote an EP together.

So my advice would be to put yourself out there and be vocal about what style of music you want to play. Meet people with the same taste, jam with them, repeat until you find bandmates with chemistry.

• Like 1

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!