Non Rocksmith computer help needed

AtGame7

I've been struggling with this for a while and cant find the solution anywhere.  It's probably simple, but I'm just missing it.

I have an Xbox One that is on the same network as my PC's.  You can/should be able to play your Itunes through the Xbox One from your PC via wireless.

Here is a youtube video of how to do it:

I have done everything in the video, at least 10 times, and it still doesn't work.  The problem is when I look under my "Multimedia Devices" in my control panel I can see the XboxOne (along with other devices) but it is grayed out and I can't use it.  I know it's my Xbox One as it has the name I game it and it actually worked once, but has stopped working (the streaming that is).

I have to think this is an issue with my firewall or router because I can find the device, I just can't use it.  The same goes for all other Multimedia devices.  It shows my other PC's and even the Xbox 360, but I can't use them as they are all grayed out.

What am I not doing correctly?

Thanks for any help you can be.

Make sure your network connection is not set to be a Public network.  I just ran through it and mine was set that way even though I've explicitly set it up as a Home network in the past.  Once you do that, you might want to configure a HomeGroup also but you should be able to see the Xbox One.

One other thing I saw in the forums was that on the Xbox One, you need to have the Music and Video apps installed for it to register itself on the network for streaming.

Make sure your network connection is not set to be a Public network.  I just ran through it and mine was set that way even though I've explicitly set it up as a Home network in the past.  Once you do that, you might want to configure a HomeGroup also but you should be able to see the Xbox One.

One other thing I saw in the forums was that on the Xbox One, you need to have the Music and Video apps installed for it to register itself on the network for streaming.

Thanks, I've done all that as well.  It's gotta be a firewall issue so I'm tinkering with that.

Delete the existing Xbox One device if you can and have it rediscover.  What do you have for a firewall?  Built-in Windows or something else like Symantec?

Built in Windows Firewall and I am pretty sure the wireless router has one as well, right?

Wireless router will have a firewall, but to protect your home network from the Internet.  That doesn't come into play here.  The Windows Firewall should get entries setup in it by the device discovery process which is going to be governed by Universal Plug n Play.  Is your PC Win8 or Win7?  

You might also try:

1. right click on your network icon in the tray

2.  go to the Network and Sharing center

3.  In the left side, choose "Change Advanced Sharing Settings"

4.  for the Private Profile (should be labeled current), check that Turn on Network Discovery is on and probably file and printer sharing also.  

The only setting I changed was the "Windows Media Center Extender", that wasn't checked.  I checked that and did a restart and it's working again.  I don't see how this explains the intermittent working/not working that's been happening.