Export to XML and/or Json

papillon

If the songmanager could export the values of a one or more selected customs to one of these formats these exports could be used in other applications.

With a configuration where you might enter a servername, credentials (username and passwort) the json values of a custom could be posted to a server api.

I've read that it's planned to connect it to the CF database. With a configurable connection it could be used flexible with other web applications - a simple approach could be posting the json to a webserver and do whatever one wants with the customs data. A bidirectional connection for this would not be necessary or a nice to have.

The songmanager is capable to read all the information from the custom(s) and with posting or exporting it to json or xml it would be available for other use cases without to type it manually in.

If it's not too much effort a json export would be nice and I know that the other suggestions are more work and as a suggestion to create a CF connection and a more general json approach to use the meta data in other web services or applications.

Thx for reading :)

Hey @@papillon

The only thing that will be implemented regarding connection is the check for update, but that won't happen until newest version of Ignition will be deployed. In terms of new exports formats, we could do that, but I don't see any usage for JSON/XML formats. Do you have in mind anything in particular?

EVERYONE KNOWS SOMETHING YOU DON’T, SO SHUT THE FUCK UP, LISTEN, AND LEARN. AND IF YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING, DO IT RIGHT.

Hi Darjusz,

I would like to save the customs meta data in a database without to have to type it in manually as the information is already inside the custom.

I'm not using a windows PC and for all tools I'm starting a virtual machine. A database would not require to be on Windows and the meta data could be read on OSX or Linux - or writing a simple webpage.

... or it inspires people to write other tools, scripts or applications.

@@papillon The application already allows you to export to CSV, I don't know what language you write in but I think there is already a CSV parser written by someone, have you checked?

EVERYONE KNOWS SOMETHING YOU DON’T, SO SHUT THE FUCK UP, LISTEN, AND LEARN. AND IF YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING, DO IT RIGHT.

Hi Darjusz,

with a format like xml or json it would be easier to interpretate and use the data - it's more complex, but easier to work with as it tags the data and you know the meainng of each value. I've not checked the csv export - does it write a header line with the names of the data fields?