Advice about best pc components to play rocksmith on pc

negrill1

Question

Hi, sorry for my english, i hope that you understaind me......i would like to know what are pc components (audio, video, ram ecc) that i have to change on my pc to have the best performance, without to spend a lot of money....thanks Negrill 

P.S i talk about to improve audio performance, for example, low latency, original sounds of guitar/bass, good tones ecc

5 answers to this question

I assume you are talking about specific to Rocksmith? Really any mid/high end motherboard should have a good enough soundcard on it already. The specs CPU wise for Rocksmith are pretty low, but an Intel i5 CPU would be good if you can afford it. If you want to go AMD and are happy to invest in a decent case with good airflow and aftermarket cooling, an FX8320 can't be beat for price (will run anything fine). I'm running this in my PC and it does run hot but I have a full size tower and some aftermarket fans and HSF attached to the CPU (depends on where you live, my computer rooms gets as hot as 35 degrees in summer so I need decent cooling). 4GB ram is the minimum, I would recommend at least 8GB as it that is the sweet spot and ram is cheap. On a PC latency for Rocksmith isn't really an issue, only if you are using HDMI and hooking that up to an amplifier/speakers. Just plug speakers/headphones into the speaker out on the motherboard and you should be good to go. Graphics card is an issue though, I find that if you have a lot of custom DLC installed you need a good graphics card to load all the textures for the artwork into ram. I'm using a R7 290, used to have a HD7950 which was also perfectly fine. Both of these cards are pretty expensive, I would probably recommend an Nvidia card instead like the 750Ti would be the minimum cheap option or any newer maxwell based Nvidia card.

So cheapest option:

• Amd FX 8350
  • Asus motherboard (SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 or ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+)
  • 4GB DRR3 Ram
  • Any Harddrive
  • Nvidia 750ti
  • Good Case and cooling (would need at least 400w PSU)

If you want to play with price/performance I recommend logical increments (can help you source parts too): http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Rocksmith emulates instruments and although it does a good enough job mostly, it's not going to be 100% accurate compared to a real guitar, and some effects are going to be noticeably lacking on some songs. If you have high quality audio equipment you want to use with the PC you may want to look into a USB soundcard like the Fiio E17. I have read that some Rocksmith users have this setup and love the audio quality, but many aren't going to hear the difference.

Of course if your question is more general to PCs and audio quality in general I would say get a USB soundcard, and if you are interested in midi input and recording from your Guitar look into some of the m-audio stuff (expensive but people love it). There are cheaper mobile iPad/iPhone options for this sort of things like the iRig HD.

Lastly headphones are the best way (IMHO) to enjoy Rocksmith. I thoroughly love my Takastar Hi2050 headphones they are dirt cheap and sound as good as my other $250 headphones, but are far more comfortable. Perfect for a budget PC.

• Like 1

thanks! yes i have heard too that a extern soundcard is very good to work on pc with struments...and i think that i can use it to play better rocksmith too....then on web i found some advices to get low latency (really a big problem on rocksmith), but i think that to pull headphones or ampli (i get so) directly on soundcard is the best way, i hear a great difference. The problem is that some distorted sounds are not good and realistic and i hope that the problem is a component of my pc and not a game problem.....i'll try to follow your advice..

Rocksmith 2014 isn't very demanding on your computer, it should run pretty well on any midrange PC.

You may be able to get a few milliseconds out of latency by using an external sound card rather than the motherboard. No guarantees though, and the difference won't be dramatic. (Latency setting 1 vs 2 in my case - both are fine to play.)

Most importantly, check your in-game audio settings. The latency doesn't go down by itself, you have to go to the audio settings and set it to the level your computer can handle (the default latency is pretty long).

If it's not running smoothly. Best things you can do is reduce the resolution (1280x720, I think, on my laptop) AND turn off the crowd.

There are also a number of other detail settings you can turn off to improve performance.

My desktop runs it at Full HD without a problem (it's powerful enough), though I still turn off the crowd.

Not all issues with stuttering are due to your computer. I have issues sometimes with individual songs jumping and stuttering (customs) no matter how powerful a machine I play it on..

Lastly, there are some good configuration guides for optimising your lag for Rocksmith, check out Google. Some are on Rocksmith official forums.

It's interesting because I haven't heard of any PC specific lag problems..though I know the xbox one version is broken lag wise. I've never had a problem either with my old Phenom X2 system or my recent upgrade. I think running an older GPU with the settings wound up is going to cause a lot of visual lag.  If you go into the settings menu of Rockmith under the latency adjustment there is a target animation which helps you measure the lag. You want to get it so you hear the sound as it hits the target.

This is different to a latency problem which is a delay between strumming the guitar and the game processing the result. The problem with latency is audio lag which is a problem if you are strumming your guitar and your speakers/headphones aren't playing the sound immediately. This is unlike guitar hero where it doesn't matter so much as you are pressing plastic buttons, in Rocksmith if you don't hear sound immediately after plucking a string it's going to be a frustrating experience.