WIP Rocksmith-style chart player - looking for testers

ladron

11 hours ago, ladron said:

I just tried both versions of Cakewalk - resizing works fine in "Cakewalk Next", but not in "Cakewalk Sonar". Given that it works in other DAWs, it might just be an issue with Cakewalk Sonar.

Yes that could be, but I just got the free version as I only needed it for testing your ChartPlayer.

Another small feedback: I think the lyrics would be more readable without the disappearing effect.

3 hours ago, Shroud said:

Yes that could be, but I just got the free version as I only needed it for testing your ChartPlayer.

I think they are all free (at least to try)? The different versions of Cakewalk are confusing. The version I tried that worked is this one:

https://www.cakewalk.com/next

Reaper has an unrestricted free trial (apart from a startup nag screen), and the window resizing works fine there.

5 hours ago, Shroud said:

Another small feedback: I think the lyrics would be more readable without the disappearing effect.

Good suggestion. I'd actually been planning on improving the vocal display to highlight the current vocal, and I'll make that change as well.

• Thanks 1

I've tried ChartPlayer with Audacity, Presonus Studio One 6 Pro, and Reaper 7.12 now.  The VST seems to install correctly with all three, but I cannot get it to recognize any songs/arrangements.  This is my first time using a real DAW, so I could be doing something stupid.

I converted a couple of song psarcs and they came out as a .ogg and a few .json in appropriately named folders in Share/JamSongs. 

I then opened a new project with Reaper and inserted media into the track, navigating to the converted folder in JamSongs and choosing the .ogg file.

Next I clicked the FX button on the control panel at the left side of the song track and chose ChartPlayer.  The ChartPlayer window opens up and I can see Songs/Options down at the bottom.  When I click on Songs, it changes to Lead/Rhythm/Bass/Keys/Close and column headers appear for Title/Artist, etc.  I clicked through all of the arrangement buttons but there are no songs listed for any of them.

What am I doing wrong?

5 hours ago, RoBarr said:

I clicked the FX button on the control panel at the left side of the song track and chose ChartPlayer.  The ChartPlayer window opens up and I can see Songs/Options down at the bottom.  When I click on Songs, it changes to Lead/Rhythm/Bass/Keys/Close and column headers appear for Title/Artist, etc.  I clicked through all of the arrangement buttons but there are no songs listed for any of them.

What am I doing wrong?

You need to click "Options" and specify the path to your converted song files. I should add an error message or something to make this more clear.

3 hours ago, ladron said:

You need to click "Options" and specify the path to your converted song files. I should add an error message or something to make this more clear.

That was it.  I played a couple songs in Reaper and it worked very well for a first release.  I'm taking notes and I'll post more when I have some useful feedback. 

I'll try it out in Audacity and Studio One as well. 

I do have one question/request, is there any way for me to edit the string and note colors?  I've been using a custom color scheme for a long time and now it's hard for me to sight read the default colors.  I got halfway through the first bass arrangement before I figured out why it sounded soo weird.

Also, I found a small issue with PsarcConverter.  When I first used it, there were a couple of folder presets with Rocksmith default locations.  I have RS installed somewhere else, so I added an additional location for a single psarc and pressed convert but nothing happened.  It looks like the converter gets hung up on anything it can't find and doesn't move to the next item.  Once I deleted the psarc folder locations that didn't apply to me it worked great. 

8 hours ago, RoBarr said:

I do have one question/request, is there any way for me to edit the string and note colors? 

Yeah - it might not end up in the user interface, but I can put it in a file you can edit.

8 hours ago, RoBarr said:

I found a small issue with PsarcConverter.  When I first used it, there were a couple of folder presets with Rocksmith default locations.  I have RS installed somewhere else, so I added an additional location for a single psarc and pressed convert but nothing happened.  It looks like the converter gets hung up on anything it can't find and doesn't move to the next item.  Once I deleted the psarc folder locations that didn't apply to me it worked great. 

I'll look into that. I probably just need to do a better job of catching errors.