Grateful Dead CDLC

Jackstraw13

Question

Hi. I would like to make some CDLC for a couple songs off soundboard shows I have. I will be honest that I am not the most computer savvy person, but very much want to learn to get the Dead on here. If anyone could give me a hand with suggestions I would grately appreciate it. 

Cheers

I would love to see some more greatful dead on here! RobotMom has done Casey Jones I believe - its floating around out there somewhere.

"When we were young the world was like a vision - the colours and the sounds they took our breath away. But now we watch it all on television while eating processed meat out of a plastic tray." -NoMeansNo

My Customs

I'd love to see more Dead CDLC! I've been a fan for a while, and I think most people don't give them the credit the deserve...all other things aside, these guys are some great musicians! I've played the Casey Jones track and was blown away by how difficult it was. Granted, I'm still a beginner, but there was quite a bit more going on than I ever expected from listening to the song, especially on bass.

sleepy

Acoustic Guitar:  Seagull Maritime GT  Playing Since:  8/11/2011

Electric Guitar:  Epiphone Les Paul Jr.  Playing since:  9/25/2013

Bass Guitar:  Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Special  Playing Since:  2/17/2014

"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

awesome. i agree competely. they are incredibly talented musicians. i also have experienced most people not giving them a chance and making assumptions. their ability to play as one is impeccable. i have 5 of their songbooks and can upload them for eveyone if you are interested. jerry always said once the music leaves his guitar it belongs to everyone. their are countless online communities deadicated to sharing and preserving jerrys music. all he wanted to do was play music. when he didnt play concerts with the dead, whose numbers of concerts are staggering, he played with the many incarnations of the jerry garcia band, as well as legion of mary, old and in the way, acousticly with mandolin wizard david grisman, and so much more. no surprise jerry is noted as the most recorded musician in music history.

no problem. i will start getting them to you as i scan them. im looking forward to this. and appreciate all the collaboration. 

by the way...did anyone check out that fire on the mountain from winterland 12-31-78 i put up? its a good one.

(~);}

Can you link this? I did a search and I can't find it (I'd love to give it a shot)

"When we were young the world was like a vision - the colours and the sounds they took our breath away. But now we watch it all on television while eating processed meat out of a plastic tray." -NoMeansNo

My Customs

no problem. i will start getting them to you as i scan them. im looking forward to this. and appreciate all the collaboration. 

by the way...did anyone check out that fire on the mountain from winterland 12-31-78 i put up? its a good one.

(~);}

Can you link this? I did a search and I can't find it (I'd love to give it a shot)

I think he's referring to the video at the top of the thread of the Dead performing Fire On the Mountain.

I watched it, it's a great one! One of my favorite tracks to see them perform live...I'm always interested to see how they're going to segue into and out of it.

sleepy

"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

The Fire on the Mountain is the last show at the historic Winterland Arena on new years Eve 1978 before it was tore down.

The whole show is on youtube.

Check out this semi acoustic Cassidy from the Radio City Music Hall run in the end of October 1980. Phil comes out and joins them on bass. Sleepy mentioned the bass earlier. Phil Lesh is outstanding. He plays the bass like another lead. He never played bass before the dead. He was classically trained and played the trombone. jerry heard him and asked him to play bass in his band.

There are all these stickers from the late 80s that say "Bush loves Phil 'cause Phil drops bombs".

• Like 1

And sleepy, as far as how they traverse from one to another and back again, check out this version of The Wheel into Wharf Rat from Boston Garden in that oh so epic month of May 1977.

This is definitely one of my favorite performances of these songs. And although May 8, 1977 at Barton Hall always comes up as possibly the greatest show in dead history, which infinite ongoing debate :), I am always drawn in by the energy of the night before, May 7, 1977.

Here is The Wheel>Wharf Rat. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhSaDMocYnY

JS

• Like 1

The Fire on the Mountain is the last show at the historic Winterland Arena on new years Eve 1978 before it was tore down.

The whole show is on youtube.

Check out this semi acoustic Cassidy from the Radio City Music Hall run in the end of October 1980. Phil comes out and joins them on bass. Sleepy mentioned the bass earlier. Phil Lesh is outstanding. He plays the bass like another lead. He never played bass before the dead. He was classically trained and played the trombone. jerry heard him and asked him to play bass in his band.

There are all these stickers from the late 80s that say "Bush loves Phil 'cause Phil drops bombs".

Check out the Bird Song that followed.

• Like 1

Man, @@Jackstraw13, those are some great vids...thanks! I think it's going to be a looooooong time before I could handle a CDLC of that The Other One>Eyes of the World>The Other One performance!

I'll have to see if I can find an mp3 I have at home of my favorite live version of Ripple. I have no idea what show it's from, unfortunately, as I randomly grabbed it back in the Napster days, but there's something about Jerry's phrasing and vocal inflection in this performance that I've always loved.

That's amazing that Phil never played bass before joining the band, and impresses me even more. The way he plays you'd think he was born with a bass in hand.

One of my few regrets is that I never got to see them live. I was only 15 when Jerry died so I had no chance to see them in their prime, but it still kinda bums me out.  :-|

sleepy

• Like 1

Man, @@Jackstraw13, those are some great vids...thanks! I think it's going to be a looooooong time before I could handle a CDLC of that The Other One>Eyes of the World>The Other One performance!

I'll have to see if I can find an mp3 I have at home of my favorite live version of Ripple. I have no idea what show it's from, unfortunately, as I randomly grabbed it back in the Napster days, but there's something about Jerry's phrasing and vocal inflection in this performance that I've always loved.

That's amazing that Phil never played bass before joining the band, and impresses me even more. The way he plays you'd think he was born with a bass in hand.

One of my few regrets is that I never got to see them live. I was only 15 when Jerry died so I had no chance to see them in their prime, but it still kinda bums me out.  :-|

sleepy

I would love to hear that Ripple. I know if I heard it I can tell you approximately what year it is. I have over 560GB of live Dead, Jerry Band, Legion of Mary, etc. Anything and everything of jerrys. His music is what made me start playing music, its so inspired.

Im glad you like Phil. He still tours around and just turned 74! Haha. I went to his 70th birthday in San Francisco and it was a blast. You should see his new bass. Look up Phil Lesh and you will be surprised, he looks 54 not 74! He is incredible. Depending on where you live he tours with  Phil Lesh and Friends, and his band Furthur with Bob Weir are taking a break this year, but next year is the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead so I wouldn't be surprised to see Phil, Bob, Bill  Kruetzman, and Mickey Hart all together again. Keep that in mind. At least would could still have a chance to see them, granted its completely different without Jerry. But its still grateful dead music played by the remaining members. And Bill and Mickey are something. If anyone has never experience what the deads music is it will blow them away. They have two full drummers, Bill and Mickey. Who use to sit at one drumset and tie their adjoining arms and legs together and one would be the left side and one would be the right. thats how they practiced to become two drummers playing as  one, accenting each other, moving together. their music is beyond music for me. they play as if they are all fingers on a hand that know they are not fingers but this bigger hand. and then there is jerry. nothing can be said about him better than just listening. i can hear one note and know its him. he has so much heart, and plays with more inspiration than i have ever experienced in anything.

"their a band beyond description, like jehovahs favorite choir,

people joining hand in hand, while the music plays the band, their setting us on fire"

-The Music Never Stops- Grateful Dead

Cool. I'll gladly take a look at those song books. As long as it got the guitar tabbed, I should be able to do the rest myself. Just pm me the links if you will. ;)

I'm working on getting those scanned but my desktop is being worked on so I am on a tablet right now. I'm really excited and I can't wait for you to take a look a them. Most the ones I have are original Dead books that are out of print.

Those older songbooks are the best and almost always superior to th rushed crap they put out nowadays ( the only exception being japanese band score books), so I'm glad that you make them available. I have some Grateful Dead master tracks, that should help me figure out the details in case the tab isn't acurate or complete.

Ok great. Im going to see if I can use a neighbors computer to get them up. The first one I am going to put up is from 1973. It includes the albums Workingmans Dead and American Beauty. Should be a great starting point. Hopefully you have some masters of these.

Here are the tracks listed.

Workingmans Dead-

Uncle Johns Band

High Time

Dire Wolf

New Speedway Boogie

Cumberland Blues

Black Peter

Easy Wind

Casey Jones

American Beauty-

Box of Rain

Friend of the Devil

Sugar Magnolia

Operator

Candyman

Ripple

Brokedown Palace

Till the Morning Comes

Attics of my Life

Truckin

Somewhere in the middle of the second set of every Grateful Dead show the band turns a corner. They enter a musical environment without walls or structure. The song form is abandoned, and the very elements of music may be called into question. The only mandate is to explore new territory. It is an environment where rhythm, tone, color, melody, and harmony can be explored without rules or predetermination, a musical adventure where composition and performance are one.

• Like 1

Ok great. Im going to see if I can use a neighbors computer to get them up. The first one I am going to put up is from 1973. It includes the albums Workingmans Dead and American Beauty. Should be a great starting point. Hopefully you have some masters of these.Here are the tracks listed.Workingmans Dead-Uncle Johns BandHigh TimeDire WolfNew Speedway BoogieCumberland BluesBlack PeterEasy WindCasey JonesAmerican Beauty-Box of RainFriend of the DevilSugar MagnoliaOperatorCandymanRippleBrokedown PalaceTill the Morning ComesAttics of my LifeTruckin

Casey Jones has been done by RobotMom already but she's not on CF, so there isn't a downloadable version. Not sure if you have that one already but I have a copy on my HD. Besides that, I have multi tracks for Uncle Johns Band and Truckin' but I've seen useful GP files for some other songs on American Beauty around the web. I personally would really like to do China Cat Sunflower or Franklin's Tower and I could probably transcribe the bass but the guitars will be an issue without useful tabs.

Ok great. Im going to see if I can use a neighbors computer to get them up. The first one I am going to put up is from 1973. It includes the albums Workingmans Dead and American Beauty. Should be a great starting point. Hopefully you have some masters of these.Here are the tracks listed.Workingmans Dead-Uncle Johns BandHigh TimeDire WolfNew Speedway BoogieCumberland BluesBlack PeterEasy WindCasey JonesAmerican Beauty-Box of RainFriend of the DevilSugar MagnoliaOperatorCandymanRippleBrokedown PalaceTill the Morning ComesAttics of my LifeTruckin

Casey Jones has been done by RobotMom already but she's not on CF, so there isn't a downloadable version. Not sure if you have that one already but I have a copy on my HD. Besides that, I have multi tracks for Uncle Johns Band and Truckin' but I've seen useful GP files for some other songs on American Beauty around the web. I personally would really like to do China Cat Sunflower or Franklin's Tower and I could probably transcribe the bass but the guitars will be an issue without useful tabs.

Ok I will get you China Cat and Franklin's Tower first. I will get you the tabs and music for those first asap. Nice choices, good taste. I appreciate you interested. I have over 560GB of dead and Jerry music so just let me know what you need.

Also, can you make it a china cat sunflower>I know you rider

I have multitracks for those two songs and high quality releases as well, so I'm good. I'll use the studio recordings, which should be hard enough to transcribe already, so I don't want to make anymore work for myself then I already have. Also, full disclosure: This will take a while, pribably a lot longer than you hope. I don't have very much time on my hands right now and still some customs to convert from 2012, besides already started projects that I want to eventually finish before working on anything new.

Ok great. Im going to see if I can use a neighbors computer to get them up. The first one I am going to put up is from 1973. It includes the albums Workingmans Dead and American Beauty. Should be a great starting point. Hopefully you have some masters of these.

Here are the tracks listed.

Workingmans Dead-

Uncle Johns Band

High Time

Dire Wolf

New Speedway Boogie

Cumberland Blues

Black Peter

Easy Wind

Casey Jones

American Beauty-

Box of Rain

Friend of the Devil

Sugar Magnolia

Operator

Candyman

Ripple

Brokedown Palace

Till the Morning Comes

Attics of my Life

Truckin

Wow, I forgot how great those albums were until you see all those tracks listed like that. If those were all CDLC, I'd never leave the house! :D

Aludog and Sleepy....we need to make this one a CDLC. This would be quite a challenge.

Boy, that one got 'out there' really quickly...great jam!

Somewhere in the middle of the second set of every Grateful Dead show the band turns a corner. They enter a musical environment without walls or structure. The song form is abandoned, and the very elements of music may be called into question. The only mandate is to explore new territory. It is an environment where rhythm, tone, color, melody, and harmony can be explored without rules or predetermination, a musical adventure where composition and performance are one.

Poetry.

sleepy

• Like 1