Bentron's Workshop

Bentron

So this is my workshop thread.  I'll mostly just be doing songs that I personally want to learn, without any sort of theme or genre/artist focus.  I'm still primarily focused on learning to play, so don't expect new content to be churned out regularly.  I don't want to actually solicit requests (since it takes me quite a long time to create and refine a custom from scratch), but feel free to recommend songs you think I might be interested in learning :)

I should note that I only play the bass, and I don't even own a guitar for testing purposes.  I'll definitely be charting guitar parts as well, but I don't have a way to test the accuracy of tabs or tones.  I'm also really bad/not super interested in creating tones myself (most will likely be copied from official songs), so feel free to recommend or create better tones if you're so inclined.  And finally, if I've completely butchered the guitar part on any songs I've worked on, and you want to rework/fix it, I'm totally open to collaborations.  Just leave a comment in this thread or drop me a PM.  Minor fixes or tweaks are of course welcome too.

Released

Playable / Looking for Feedback

Upcoming / Very Early WIP

I decided to look into DDC today, and it turns out it's not nearly as complicated as I remembered/assumed.  I've uploaded a new version (v1.5), but only for PC, Mac, and Xbox.  I had some issues with DDC and was  hoping someone could explain what's going on.  

When I fed DDC the xml files for the arrangements, it spat them out just fine  The toolkit took them and made the various packages as expected, but once I load it into game (only PC to test with), it causes rocksmith to crash right after tuning.  I thought it might be an issue with the tone (as I'd had similar crashes caused by tones early on with this custom), but I didn't touch anything other than running the arrangements through DDC.  Recompiling with clean xmls from my eof project (no DD) still worked without crashing.

What's really odd is that if I instead gave DDC the .psarc files compiled from clean xmls, everything works fine.  The problem with this method is that DDC will accept the ps3 .edat as a valid package file, but doesn't actually create a new one with DD arrangements.  No errors or anything from DDC/Toolkit.

Is there a reason generating DD from the xmls fails that I can fix?  Something with the way my arrangements are authored maybe?  Or alternatively, is there a way to get DDC to actually process the .edat for ps3?  Is this even worth worrying about, or do people not really play customs on consoles anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

@@Bentron: To sum things up succinctly, this far surpassed any expectations I had for a first time CDLC, and as a result I don't have much constructive advice to offer. Nice job! I took a video to review things that I can upload if you want to see it (though there are a few places where I make ugly sounds).

In a little more detail:

The sync is great. I was hitting mostly "perfects" on score attack, which is basically what I'd expect for an official DLC with a relatively slow bassline that pretty much never repeats a note (Rocksmith seems to have a bit of a problem detecting new notes sometimes).

The tab seemed good from what I could tell. There were a few places where the rhythm shifted a bit which caught me off guard, but looking back they all seemed correct. I don't remember seeing any obviously incorrect notes either, but I'd probably have to know the original song better. I was a little bit surprised you already do pitched slides into sustains the right way (linknexted) as well. It also looks like you shortened the sustains a little bit, which is also good.

The bass tone also seemed pretty nice. Again, I'd have to know the original song better to say whether it's perfect, but it's definitely a good tone for walking bass type stuff.

Again, great work! I look forward to seeing what you do with Tokyo Jihen - I was actually contemplating trying to do a couple of their songs, though it would probably be ages before I got to them.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

@@albatross213 Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.  It's nice to have another set of eyes to keep my second guessing in check.  Unless you know someone who'd be willing to give the rhythm track a once over, I think I may just push it up to ignition for better visibility.  I can't blame people who wander into this thread for not being super interested in testing a pretty obscure song by rocksmith standards :)

I can't take credit for transcribing the original tab that's linked in the first post, so if its bass tab is accurate and my sync is good, the guitar part be reasonably close.  I expect the issues are mostly position/chord fingerings, which I can just fix if anyone points them out.

As for the Tokyo Jihen track, it's been ages since I've worked on it, but I think I finished the beatmap and at least started, if not finished, the bass and vocal arrangements.  I'll need to go over everything again to refresh my memory though.  It's not too far out from a playable state if memory serves, but I need to find time to work on it.

Published Kuchibashi ni Cherry to ignition.  No changes since the last update (v1.6).  I guess that's my first official release on CF.

Killer Tune was farther along than I'd remembered.  Last time I'd worked on it, I had already finished laying down the vocal and bass tracks, and about 20% of the guitar.  So I just sat down and finished the guitar part this week.  Everything is still very much WIP though.  Download link is under the yellow headline in the first post, but here it is again for convenience.  Bass is Eb standard.  Guitar is E Standard with capo on the 1st fret.

A quick run through the bass part told me the tab needs some serious work as far as optimizing playing position at the very least.  I also still need to break it all down to make sure the tab is reasonably accurate and the sync isn't off anywhere.  But technically, it's playable.

If anyone wants to check it out, I could use tone suggestions.  For now, I just left the default tone from the toolkit.  I'm thinking I may use the tone from Give Up the Funk as a starting point for bass.  For guitar though, the tab I used just called the tones Crunch and Distortion, which is pretty generic.  So I'm not really sure what official tone might come close.  Not having a guitar to at least test with is kind of a pain  :lol:

I'm not too sure about good tones for Tokyo Jihen. They're definitely on the jazzier side, so I might start with some jazz stuff and work from there. I don't know too many jazz songs on here, but Red Baron by Bill Cobham (and charted by @) is a good one. And since I've summoned him and this might be up his alley he could have some other ideas.

My CDLC releases and my workshop 
My CDLC previews (Lots of bass only stuff)
Join us at the Rocksmith Championship!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Could someone reupload the Tokyo Jihen track? 

Thanks in advance

v0.1

v0.2

I haven't touched these files in almost 5 years now, so I have no clue what state I left them in.  Unfortunately I don't have time to work on it these days, but if you or anyone else wants to pick it up and complete it, feel free.  The link to the chart I was working from appears to be dead, but I have a few different gp5 files saved locally.  I'm not sure how accurate they are, but I can upload them somewhere if they'd be helpful to anyone.