Mac: Freezing/Hanging on certain CDLC

Zhegan

Question

Hello everyone!

First off I love this project, and once I get the issues hammered out this will no doubt suck hours upon hours of my life away.

I went on a downloading spree and got a bunch of custom songs.  In combining the functions of the Toolkit and Automator, I managed to convert at least most of the downloaded files into Mac format (all files use the Cherub Rock appid).

So far it seems that the cdlc is about 50/50; about half will run with no problem, and the other half freeze after tuning.  I've tried most of the options in the toolkit (mac version) and haven't found anything that solves the problem.  I've searched the Internet up and down and haven't really found any solutions.

The only clue that may be notable is the showlights file.  I've unpacked Cherub Rock, some of the files that work, and some of the files that do not work, and noticed that more often than not the files that do not run have a showlights.xml that is significantly smaller.

For example, RHCP - By The Way works, while Blink 182 - First Date does not work.  The showlights.xml for By The Way is 38 KB, while First Date is 117 bytes.

The contents of the First Date showlight.xml is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<showlights count="1">
  <showlight time="2.522" note="66" />
</showlights>

Again, not sure if this is what's breaking the cdlc, but it's currently the only clue I have.  I've been comparing unpacked files left and right and haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary between the two.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Please let me know if you require any further information, or screenshots, etc.

MacBook Pro 15-inch (Late 2008)

OSX Yosemite

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8 GB RAM DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

Hey Zhegan, nothing worse than having a issue and a call for help goes unanswered. Unfortunately I can't offer much of a solution as I am too having the same issues. One thing I can say it isn't your hardware. 

I had a 2008 iMac up until recently and had the same issues. I have since upgraded to a 2015 5K iMac and nothing has changed. I originally thought it maybe the CPU speed or something not processing the large amounts of songs in my RS library but with the computer upgrade, that scuttled that theory.

My freezes are extremely random, it can happen after playing one track, or 10. On any track, some more than others. (Although that maybe because I play those tracks more than others). It can freeze after tuning but generally after selecting the song in the track info page. Sometimes It will freeze before the tuning page, sometimes after tuning. So yeah...completely random and extremely hard to pinpoint where the crashing is occurring.

The only thing I have learnt is when the freeze is about to happen. When I scroll through songs, the artwork becomes slow to appear. Sure enough, the next song i select, it will freeze.

One thing that frustrates me is ubisoft never seem to put out software updates. Surely they can't think their program is perfect to warrant no firmware updates of any sort. No bug fixes, nothing.