Color Blind Mode?

Skylance

Question

A friend suggested this to me, saying it may help me.   I'm guessing that it does something.  However, the "what" that it does eludes me.   Perhaps this is something that helps the partially colorblind?   I'm completely colorblind, if that makes much of a difference.  

For the most part, in normal Learn A Song, or Score Attack, the only things that cause me some grief are the A&D strings (bass), which look identical, when they either come in on an open note, or close in together.   Practice and the Riff Repeater help on this.

My real issue, though, is I've been working on some of the technique games, and they can be a real pain.  Some are pretty easy - Scale Racer and Scale Warriors have it laid out, and Harmonic Heist  uses different shapes.    On the other hand, something like Ninja Slide, I'm at a complete loss for.   At least I know it starts off on the E string, but once I hit the color change, I'm 1 in 3 of getting the right string before Game Over. 

Am I missing something?  Is there a way to perhaps modify them to be "more visible"?    Am I not noticing any difference because "color blind mode" doesn't really work right? (I'm considering all options)

Thanks for any advice on this one.

2 answers to this question

Keep practicing, eventually your muscle memory will kick in and you won't rely on the colours so much. Also practice listening to the sounds too, it's easy to fall into a routine of allowing your fingers to remember the work rather than relying on the ear to remember the sound of the note. I find going away from RS for a bit and practicing a riff without the aid of the game helps a fair bit. I'm not completely colour blind but I do struggle with shades of red, orange and yellow so I use colour blind mode which was helpful but as I've practiced I'm not relying so much on the colours of the strings any more. Though I'm a bassist and the fewer strings is an advantage for me, but hopefully some of my suggestions might help a little bit :)

P.S.

All that colour blind mode does is change the colour of the A string (and I'm speaking from the bass perspective) from yellow to green. It helps a little for the partial colour blind and those with squiffy vision like myself... Also, as an afterthought, maybe invert the strings ? I used to read tablature years ago and the low E was always at the bottom of the tab. That is of course you don't already play that way. If you also have read tab it might be a little more natural for you as you play.

Edited by NoonyDeloony
  • Like 1

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

Ah, there's the answer.  "change from yellow to green", which would probably be fine for a partial colorblind individual, but still "looks the same"  as the blue.  Practice helps, and has improvedme from knowing squat a year ago to the humble bits I know today.   My only hangup is with a couple of things in the game - slide change color in Ninja, color change gem in Templ of Bends, A/D color change in Ducks.   Though even with the problems with the color change, my basic technique for the three skills keeps improving.  Thanks Noony