Rocksmith Custom Song Toolkit (toolkit) Q&A

@Gibson "we open up a song and the Rocksmith stops working or shuts down altogether" This is different problem than MM and I were discussing.  MM issue is now fixed.  In addition to what Alex360 has asked you to provide us, you can check the following yourself:

Does RS shut down for all CDLC or just some?  If just some then you need to get CGT program and check for corrupt CDLC (follow my signature link to download CGT).  The new CDLC Manager or Statalog tools will tell you if you have corrupt CDLC and will quarantine them.  After corrupt CDLC are quarantined you should run Game Save Gigbox tool and "Sync" which will cleanup your game save profile (which can also cause game crashes and hangs if corrupted).  Give CGT a try and let me know results.

Thank you for the quick response. I'm not great on the computer. Ours is a Mac and I'm only seeing PC info. on the link you provided. Am I missing something. Sorry to be so much trouble.

• Developer

@Gibson  I am not going to be able to help you much if you are on a Mac.  Maybe look for other Mac users on CF and ask them for help or get a PC emulator for your Mac and run CGT.  At what point in game is RS shutting down?  After you load user profile and select a song to play or before?  Does shut down occur for all songs or just some?

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

@@Gibson, I had a report that someone fail to convert pc>mac, It's confirmed and I'll look into it.

Many thanks. You're more efficient than most governments I work with. Grateful for your help!

If it's any help, we have asked other members to convert songs to the Mac platform (from their PC) and those have worked. Us converting p.psarc files to m.psarc files on our Mac have failed.

Sigh... I don't know what you did, but my previous tone error is back (latest version, 9312319f):

http://puu.sh/i4QGy/ed8971b15f.png

How it's set up in EoF:

http://puu.sh/i4QHP/d078312cdb.png

XML file before generating package:

http://puu.sh/i4QKp/bfee0e8f93.png

XML after trying to generate package:

http://puu.sh/i4QN1/e8e89524b5.png

The fix would probably be to change the name of "clean" and "distortion" in <tone time...> to reflect the names as defined in tonebase/tonea/toneb etc. After I did that manually, the package generated without errors.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I tried to convert Rocksmith 2012 CDLC to Rocksmith 2014 CDLC using the latest available toolkit. 

The song is U2 - One and is available at http://www.mediafire.com/download/6objb4rzc1d9a62/onebeta3.dat

I couldn't import tones because of json parse error, but I imported two arrangements and tried to generate a package. The settings and the result are on the picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3uXlknE4eJrcUJJMVBnSkk3NmM/view?usp=sharing

Sorry for russian language, it's written "Index of out range" with references to files and rows.

I will appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

• Developer

@comp @Alex360  I think there is a problem with that song.  Other RS1 CDLC are still converting ok.  I am investigating.

EDIT:  So the problem is that the Bass arrangement xml element is wrong in the RS1 CDLC file.  It is currently set to "Lead". 

Here's how to fix this CDLC song.  In the Creator GUI, press Import Package.  Select the song.  After the toolkit loads the RS1 song into the GUI.  Select (highlight) "Guitar -Rythm" and press Remove.

Now open up "Part REAL_BASS.xml" in the GR\Behaviors\Songs folder and manually edit it.  Change "Lead" to "Bass", save and close.  Then back in the Creator GUI manually adding the three arrangements back.  Press Add and select each XML file again from the GR\Behaviors\Songs folder.  Adjust the tones for each arrangement or leave as default.  Then press Generate.  Your song should work.

I will try to add an exception handler to the toolkit so that users are alerted of this condition and the need to manually edit.

I am nice guy, I will just automate these types of repairs in next release.

• Like 2

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

@@cozy1 Thank you very much for the help!

Indeed, I changed the xml element and the song was generated fine.

I have one assumption about the root of the problem. In Rocksmith 2012 this song contains 3 Lead arrangements (no bass), where the 3rd one has been converted to the Bass arrangement in the Toolkit. That's why the XML file contained Lead. 

Is there a way to make the Bonus Lead track out of it instead of the Bass arrangement?

• Developer

@comp  Ah ... interesting and unusual.  May be able to fix by using Lead (Part 1), Lead (Part 2), Lead (Part 3).  You could confirm by manually editing the xml's arrangment and part elements and following the same procedure to manually generate the CDLC.  Let me know if it works.

EDIT: FYI original charter authored the song this way, probably in EOF.  Toolkit does not change the arrangement XML file names it only reads them.

@@cozy1 Thanks for the advice, I tried to change Lead/Rhytm/Bass strings in XML files to Lead (Part 1)/Lead (Part 2)/ Lead (Part 3) but I faced the same error during generation as I posted above. 

I think I stick to what I have now. It's more or less enough :)

• Developer

@@firekorn I am unable to reproduce the error without having SmellyOrc project files.  Interesting SmellyOrc and I responded here after his initial post and now our responses are missing.

@@firekorn I am unable to reproduce the error without having SmellyOrc project files.  Interesting SmellyOrc and I responded here after his initial post and now our responses are missing.

I think the admin had to restore an old backup of the forum database, thats why those posts are missing

I have uploaded a project here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/67b3zu5xs18vu6m/Amorphis%20-%20Day%20of%20Your%20Beliefs.rar?dl=0

This is my workflow:

1) Create tone change.

2) Give a descriptive name, like  "Acoustic", "Distortion" or "Lead", for example.

3) Save project in EoF.

4) Add XML file as arrangement

5) Toolkit loads the descriptive tone names

6) Add real tones to my tone list

7) Edit arrangement to change the tones to the ones that I have loaded.

8) Make everything else correct in toolkit

9) Save

10) Generate

11) ERROR

Note: it does not matter if I load the real tones (the ones that I'll use/try out) before or after I add the arrangement.

The problem is that the toolkit changes the XML file to reflect the changed tone names in the <tonebase> <tonea> etc fields, but not in the ones after that, the fields that specify the time of the tone changes:

http://puu.sh/i4QN1/e8e89524b5.png

So in the above case, the EoF tone names have been changed from Clean and Distortion to Clean_Reverb and endofhope, respectively. Done manually, by me. In the Edit arrangement box. The <tone time> stuff still uses the old tone names, and therefore returns an error. If I manually edit those tone names to Clean_Reverb and endofhope, the package generates just fine, and the song plays just fine as well.

If you need anything else, let me know.

PS: The project I've uploaded is a different project from the one described here.

• Developer

@SmellyOrc  Thank you I will look at the project files.

"PS: The project I've uploaded is a different project from the one described here."  ???

• Developer

@@SmellyOrc

I am able to produce a working CDLC from the project files that you provided with toolkit version 9312319f (screen shot of my setup after I clicked Generate).

I think the problem is with your workflow steps 6 and 7. 

6) Add real tones to my tone list  (DON'T use Add button.  Use Edit button and then Load Tone button to overwrite the existing incomplete/unpopulated EOF tone.)

7) Edit arrangement to change the tones to the ones that I have loaded.  (DON"T  edit the arrangement.  If you add tones properly using Edit the toolkit will automatically update the arrangements with new tone names.  Editing the arrangement only breaks the tones.)

See my step 3 below for more detail.

Here is my work process that produces working CDLC.  In the toolkit Creator GUI I did the following:

1.  In Arrangments groupbox ...

Add Lead (PART REAL_GUITAR_22_RS2.xml)
Add Rythum (PART REAL_GUITAR_RS2.xml)
Add Bass (PART REAL_BASS_RS2.xml)  Toolkit pops up Tuning Editor form warning you because the Bass EOF xml tuning element has:   You can correct this by clicking the red X (upper right corner) on Tuning Editor form popup to close it and then select the proper bass tuning in the Add Arragment form Tuning combobox, I used E standard.

Also my personal choice, I changed tuning on the guitar parts from D Standard to E Standard so that I wouldn't have to retune my guitar for testing.

2.  In Files groupbox ...

Add Album Artwork (folder1hj.dds).
Add Audio (guitar.ogg).

I did not find any custom tone files in the project folder so I added my own for Clean, Lead, Distortion, and Lead End.  

3.  In Tones groupbox ...

I added custom tones using the Edit Tone form and clicking Load Tone.  The tones I used were named Bass, Clean, Acoustic and End.  The toolkit successfully renamed the tones according to what was loaded.
You can also generate CDLC without adding tones and toolkit will use default tone values (which may not sound too good).

If you click Generate now toolkit will throw an error because Song Information, Year and Version fields are not filled in so fill these in first and then Generate.  The files described in the steps above are the only files I needed to generate a CDLC for this song.

The toolkit works as expected and produced working (confirmed by testing) CDLC from the project files you provided.

If you follow these steps you should be able to produce a working CDLC too.

I did find one bug in the Tone Editor which is unrelated to your original issue.  The Load Tone and Save Tone are not working as expected which has no effect on CDLC Generation.  I could not load tones from my archived tones2014.xml files and saved tones are not being named correctly for reuse.  I will fix this in a future release.

Please note that I did not use the "Amorphis_Day-of-Your-Beliefs_RS2014.dlc.xml" with Load Package because my system paths are different than yours.  Also using Load Package can also result in some errors.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the toolkit now overwriting arrangement XMLs to reflect tone edits?

Scenario is I had tones set up, Lead1 and Lead 2.  Everything working fine, tested in game.  I wanted to swap Lead1 and Lead2 around to try it out, and when I edited them in the toolkit it seems to have overwritten the XMLs permanently so that they now expect Lead2 first instead of Lead1.

At first I thought it was no biggie, I just reloaded the Toolkit save and started again, going to try to edit the tones in a different way.  But now every time I pull in an arrangement they expect Lead2 as the base tone not Lead1.

So is this the toolkit?

• Developer

@PC Plum  If you edit tone name with toolkit then toolkit will change tone name in XML arrangement.  See above response to SmellyOrc, make sure to use Tones Edit and not the Tones Add button if you have multiple tones in one arrangement and you are simply wanting to make changes to existing tone names.  Toolkit does not change times when multiple tones are applied.  You can also use "Load Tones" in Edit Tones mode to select a different predefined tone and toolkit will handle name changes for you.   PM me if that doesn't answer it.

Hey guys, I've been away for a while and I was trying to catch up on this thread..... so many posts in a short period of time.

Anyway, I read the last posts talking about tone issues with the toolkit, but from what I gathered, you were just talking about changing tone names or the order of the tones....

Well, I've experienced an issue related with tones when removing DD (I don't know if the same happens when adding DD to a custom).

Unfortunately I didn't take any screenshots when the issue occurred, since it was just a few times, but given the "line of posts", here's the situation (I'll take screenshots on the next custom that this happens).....

1st I should describe the method I use to remove DD from a custom.

I import the package in the toolkit. Once the toolkit is finished and I have the custom imported, I add the letters "NDD" to the end of the title of the song, go to the DDC tab, select the .xmls inside the "arr" folder created by the toolkit when imported the package, Ramp-up model "ddc_dd_remover", Config File "ddc_default", Phrase length "40" and I click the check box "Overwrite original files" (that way I don't have to add the NDD arrangements and remove the DD ones on the "Creator" tab) and click "Remove DD".

This is what I've always done and it always worked perfectly.

I don't know which build of the toolkit started to do what I'm going to describe next, but it must be one of the latest builds, since this only happened recently, in the last month, maybe 2.

So, I do everything I described above but when I click the "Generate" button to create the _p.psarc file, I receive an error and all the times I read something related to the tones. Every time this happened, the behavior is always the same and I was "lucky" to discover why I was getting the error after removing DD, since that never happened before and this only happens on customs that have tone changes.

For some reason, DDC changes the names of the tones on the lines that have the tone time code in the .xml(s)

When I look above, where it's set ToneA, ToneB, etc., the names are correct, but DDC changes the names after that, on the lines with the time codes.

Since this happened 4 or 5 times so far, the only thing I find in "common" is that DDC replaces the names on the lines with the time codes for the "Tone type" name of the tone.

For example, a tone called "tone_dist", where the tone type is "Distortion", the unpacked xml has all the names correct, after removing DD with DDC, the name that shows on the line with the time code is "Distortion", instead of "tone_dist".

To demonstrate (this is just an example I manually edited to reflect what I described)....

This:

<tonebase>IKYRH_lead</tonebase>
  <tonea>IKYRH_lead</tonea>
  <toneb>IKYRH_delay</toneb>
  <tones count="2">
    <tone time="375.924" id="0" name="IKYRH_delay" />
    <tone time="388.624" id="0" name="IKYRH_lead" />

After removing DD show this:

<tonebase>IKYRH_lead</tonebase>
  <tonea>IKYRH_lead</tonea>
  <toneb>IKYRH_delay</toneb>
  <tones count="2">
    <tone time="375.924" id="0" name="delay" />
    <tone time="388.624" id="0" name="distortion" />

Every time this happened, I just replaced the incorrect names on the tone time line(s), clicked "Generate" in the toolkit and the _p.psarc is generated without any error.

Just thought you guys should know this is happening and I don't know if this is related with the toolkit or DDC.

As soon as I have another custom that this happens, I'll take screenshots and make a more detailed post.

Thanks again for everything, as always. :)

• Developer

@@Kaijin maybe @Chlipouni can give us some input on this.

As long as you are not using "Add" Arrangements or "Add" Tones then the toolkit will not change the tones names the way you are showing above.  If you can confirm you are not using "Add" buttons in toolkit Creator GUI then it could be how DDC handles tones or something else.  I will be glad to investigate after we hear from Chlipouni.

@@Kaijin maybe @Chlipouni can give us some input on this.

As long as you are not using "Add" Arrangements or "Add" Tones then the toolkit will not change the tones names the way you are showing above.  If you can confirm you are not using "Add" buttons in toolkit Creator GUI then it could be how DDC handles tones or something else.  I will be glad to investigate after we hear from Chlipouni.

Yes @@cozy1, I don't add anything, neither arrangements or tones, I leave everything as it is when the toolkit imports the .psarc file, the only "modification" is adding NDD to the title of the song and removing DD from the .xml(s).

When I pack my own customs, where I have to add tones and arrangements, the last 3 I did all had tone changes and I didn't experienced none of what's described in the posts above.

Since I never add DD to my customs, I only use DDC to remove DD, that's why I only can confirm the issue when removing DD, I have no idea if the same issue might happen when adding DD to a custom using the method I described to remove it.

I wasn't sure about what could be the cause, but after reading your post I'm leaning towards something related with DDC, instead of the toolkit.

Since I usually remove DD from customs every week (because of the songs selected for the championship that have DD), I'm pretty sure that this will happen again and when it does, I'll take screenshots and make a detailed post with step by step.

Btw, I forgot to mention on the previous post, the error window I get when the issue happens is almost the same as the one posted by @@SmellyOrc on post nº 381.... I can't be sure of the entire text, but the 1st 5 lines are the same or very similar.

Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy