Rocksmith Custom Song Toolkit (toolkit) Q&A

• Developer

@MadMax  Well that took too long to understand/identify sorry.  Fixed a bug that was hiding in Ogg/Wav to Wem converter file path naming.  Should be working now.  Thanks for hanging in there with us.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

@MadMax  Well that took too long to understand/identify sorry.  Fixed a bug that was hiding in Ogg/Wav to Wem converter file path naming.  Should be working now. 

confirmed, that generate works fine now. I need to test the generated psarc in the game but it looks good so far. Size of the psarc is a little bit smaller by a few bytes, i guess that its because of the showlights improvement done in the last revisions. Anyway big Thanks guys :)

@MadMax  Thanks for hanging in there with us.

No problem im a heavy user of the toolkit and EOF, its in my interest to help as much as i can ;)

I apologize for my ignorance and also if someone else asked this before me.....

With the latest toolkit build, when I import a .psarc, below the vocals it shows an arrangement called "showlights". (I still don't know what the purpose of that file is)

My questions is, why does it show now as an arrangement and do I have to do anything with it?

For example, when I import a custom to remove DD, I always import the .psarc, then I use the DDC tab to remove the DD (I never drag the .psarc to the DDC box, I always drag the .xml's), I add the new NDD arrangements in the "Creator" tab and generate the NDD .psarc file.

Do I need to add/remove the showlights arrangement because the lead/rhythm/bass are without DD?

I hope it's not too much trouble to answer those, I don't need any technical details, just wanted to understand a little bit about this.

Thanks guys.

• Developer

@Kaijin  Sorry for not providing a description of the new feature here.  It is briefly described on Github but not much.  This actually came about because of your questions and problems with showlights.  I am actually excited about this feature because it gives you more potential to customize game play.  How it works.

Showlights.xml are now treated much the same as any other arrangement xml file.   You can add, edit or delete it.  So why would you want to do that?  Well some existing CDLC have really cool show lights effects and others do not.  Now you can decide if you want to keep existing showlights or generate new ones.  How do you do that?  Well when you use "Import Package" on an existing CDLC the Creator GUI will also pull in the existing showlights.xml if it exist in the CDLC.  If showlights does not exist or you are creating a new CDLC then don't worry about the showlights arrangement.  The toolkit will auto generate showlights for your CDLC based on the beatmap of the song.

So what if my CDLC has showlights.xml that I like and want to keep (reuse)?  Simple don't touch the showlights arrangement in the toolkit arrangements GUI (leave it alone) and click the "Generate" button.  The toolkit will reuse the existing showlights for the CDLC.  So how can I add showlights from one CDLC that has cool effect to another CDLC that I am creating?

First unpack the CDLC either with the Unpacker or with the Creator Import Package.  Next grab the showlights.xml file then fire up Notepad++ and edit the Time events to mach the ebeat times in your new CDLC song be sure not to change the Note event numbers as these are what created those cool effects in the first CDLC.  Once you are done editing the showlights.xml file add it to you new CDLC arrangment list.  When you click "Generate" your new CDLC will have the same effects as the first CDLC if you did a good editing job.  Eventually, I'd like to create a GUI for creating showlight effects but that is off in the near distant future.

Hope this was enough of an explanation to get you going.  Bottom line is don't worry about the new showlights feature if it is not important to you.  For me it was a way to save existing cool showlight effects while Alex perfects the algo for the custom showlights generator.

Are you tired of AV False Positives???  Now accepting donations on my website (Click Here)  Your donation will be used towards buying a code signing certificate.   CGT is now compatible and safe to use with Rocksmith® 2014 Remastered ... 

Latest Build of Custom Game Toolkit (CGT) w/ Game Save Gigbox       Latest Build of Rocksmith Toolkit       Latest Build of Customs Forge Song Manager (CFSM)

All bug reports and help requests please include your: OS, CPU, AV, .NET Framework versions along with a description of the issue (include screenshots of error if possible).  It should go without having to say ... make sure you are using the latest build before submitting bug reports or asking for help.

*  Remember to use your magic words (please and thank you) if you would like a response.  Don't use phrases like 'thanks anyhow' as it is demeaning.

Wow @@cozy1, that was more than enough, thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. :)

Now I understand why I never noticed anything regarding the visual effects.... my PC is pretty old, when RS2014 came out I really thought I would have to upgrade mobo, CPU, RAM and graphics card.

When the game came out, I knew I had to turn off all visual settings, the ones that didn't allow to turn off, I knew I had to set them to the lowest value possible to be able to play the game without losing performance.

With the help of a program called Razer Cortex and 10% overclock on the CPU (Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 2.5Ghz, with the overclock, 2.75Ghz) the PC handles the game extremely well and I can even record ingame footage + webcam footage without losing much performance.

I've seen videos from others and when they start playing a song, I noticed the background kind of "opening the curtains" and an audience shows up with light effects and such... I always wondered if the showlights.xml file had anything to do with it, you just clarified my suspicions.

Sorry for bothering you guys with this, specially since it's a feature that I don't even notice/use, but I hope that, at least, this helped to improve the toolkit even more (sometimes I wonder when you guys are gonna stop implementing so many cool features :D).

As always, if you guys need anything that I can help, you know how to reach me. :)

Thanks

@@Alex360

how do i add a bass arrangement right.

I unpacked one of the official dlc  and it does show the bass tuning like this:

<tuning string0="-3" string1="-3" string2="-3" string3="-3" string4="-3" string5="-3" />

string 4 and 5 have offsets like the other strings

my custom does have the bass tuning like this (yeah i know different tuning):

<tuning string0="-4" string1="-4" string2="-4" string3="-4" string4="0" string5="0" />

string 4 and 5 have the offsets at 0. Shouldnt string 4 and 5 also be at -4? The game does show that arr as custom but it should be actually c standard in the game.

If i edit the arr in the toolkit and add -4 instead of 0 for string 4 and 5 after i hit ok they still stay at 0

@@Alex360

<tuning string0="-3" string1="-3" string2="-3" string3="-3" string4="-3" string5="-3" />

<tuning string0="-4" string1="-4" string2="-4" string3="-4" string4="0" string5="0" />

string 4 and 5 have the offsets at 0. Shouldnt string 4 and 5 also be at -4? The game does show that arr as custom but it should be actually c standard in the game.

If i edit the arr in the toolkit and add -4 instead of 0 for string 4 and 5 after i hit ok they still stay at 0

Just to confirm, I have actually managed to get that bass arrangement I linked to say "Eb Standard" in game.  It is correct as it sorts with all the other Eb songs in the game.

What I did:

- Pull the arrangement into the toolkit

- In the top left box of the Tuning Box (UI Name) I typed "Eb Standard"

- Hit OK

- Left "Add as new tuning" unchecked

Just in case anyone else has trouble, that's what I did.  Good luck :D

@@Alex360

Just to confirm, I have actually managed to get that bass arrangement I linked to say "Eb Standard" in game.  It is correct as it sorts with all the other Eb songs in the game.

What I did:

- Pull the arrangement into the toolkit

- In the top left box of the Tuning Box (UI Name) I typed "Eb Standard"

- Hit OK

- Left "Add as new tuning" unchecked

Just in case anyone else has trouble, that's what I did.  Good luck :D

I dont get it, in the description above it mentions eb but eb is already in the toolkit.

In my case the tuning is C standard and C standard is already in the toolkit too. When i add the arrangement in the toolkit, the toolkit does already autofill the tuning as C standard, there is no tuning Editor popping up. I just hit ok and thats it. When i look in the tuningdefinition.xml there is then this entry:

<TuningDefinition Version="RS2014" Name="C Standard" UIName="C Standard" Custom="true">
    <Tuning string0="-4" string1="-4" string2="-4" string3="-4" string4="0" string5="0" />
  </TuningDefinition>

it was automatically added after i hit generate.

And yes I know bout that tuning bug, just have no time to work on tuning part, sorry

So its actually a bug?

@@MadMaxx it is probably because you have already messed with your "standard tunings" in that toolkit installation i.e. the reason the tuning editor does not pop up.

Try this

- Unpack the toolkit to a new folder (so it's a fresh "install") and run it

- Type all the info out again from scratch (to avoid loading a template save and potentially adding more problems)

- When you pull in the bass arrangement do it as I have described, except call it C Standard not Eb

I had lots of tuning issues before and it was only solved by making a fresh "install" of the toolkit and resetting it's tuning list.

• Developer

Because toolkit is storing any tuning changes made earlier to TuningDefinition.xml.  Do like Plum suggests and do complete fresh install.  Or if you want to poke around have a look inside the file and see how C standard is stored.

EDIT: if this is how it works then you teach me something new.  PM me song name plz and I will fix.

Slayer - Angel of Death is all strings -1

Avenged Sevenfold - 2 weeks is all strings -3

@@MadMaxx it is probably because you have already messed with your "standard tunings" in that toolkit installation i.e. the reason the tuning editor does not pop up.

Try this

- Unpack the toolkit to a new folder (so it's a fresh "install") and run it

- Type all the info out again from scratch (to avoid loading a template save and potentially adding more problems)

- When you pull in the bass arrangement do it as I have described, except call it C Standard not Eb

I had lots of tuning issues before and it was only solved by making a fresh "install" of the toolkit and resetting it's tuning list.

i did a fresh install but again in the default tuningdefinition.xml c standard is already inside because its officially supported by the game. If i add a bass arr the tuning gets automatically selected by the toolkit, there is no tuning Editor popping up.

Anyway i got it to work, what i did was to open the tuningdefinition.xml and delete the c standard tuning inside it. After that i added the arr and the tuning editor popps up. I changed all strings to -4, added a name and hit ok without "add as new tuning" pretty much as you said.

I now unpacked the bass arrangement from the custom and the toolkit wrote it like this:

<tuning string0="-4" string1="-4" string2="-4" string3="-4" string4="-4" string5="-4" />

so it looks exactly like from official DLC with all strings filled. In the game the arr is displayed as C Standard instead of Custom Tuning.

Its a nice workaround but it will hopefully be fixed correctly.

Edit: The workaround does have a weakness, after generating the project the tuning gets automatically stored in the tuningdefinition.xml even without adding it with the "add as new Tuning". The next project would need to having the tuning deleted again from the tuningdefinition.xml else the toolkit will again write 0 to string 4 and 5.

To have the workaround to work you basically need to delete the stored tunings every time you create a project.

• Developer

So made fix so that toolkit does not zero out string4 and string5 on bass arrangements.  Checked bass.xml and tuning appears to be ok now.

So made fix so that toolkit does not zero out string4 and string5 on bass arrangements.  Checked bass.xml and tuning appears to be ok now.

confirmed, xml output is all -4 and in the game its C Standard. Ill repack my other stuff and see if its working too but it looks like you fixed it. Big Thanks. :)

• Like 1

• Developer

You are welcome.

Templates from old versions will probably not work with new version. The paths are probably wrong.   I will put in error check.  Create new template or don't use template.

I've been following the @@MadMaxx / Cozy1 discussion: regarding the system shutting down. Having the same problem with the songs I've downloaded for my son. Don't have the computer savvy to understand entirely what you're talking about or how to fix it but we open up a song and the Rocksmith stops working or shuts down altogether. Is it something with the version of the toolkit we are using (we downloaded on May 20) or something we are doing wrong? Want to keep the momentum with my son's playing and new content. Your advice as to how we can get the new content working properly would be much appreciated. He's crazy about playing and we're grateful for what you are doing here as Rocksmith and Steam content doesn't always meet with his musical preferences. Thanks for everything.

• Developer

@Gibson "we open up a song and the Rocksmith stops working or shuts down altogether" This is different problem than MM and I were discussing.  MM issue is now fixed.  In addition to what Alex360 has asked you to provide us, you can check the following yourself:

Does RS shut down for all CDLC or just some?  If just some then you need to get CGT program and check for corrupt CDLC (follow my signature link to download CGT).  The new CDLC Manager or Statalog tools will tell you if you have corrupt CDLC and will quarantine them.  After corrupt CDLC are quarantined you should run Game Save Gigbox tool and "Sync" which will cleanup your game save profile (which can also cause game crashes and hangs if corrupted).  Give CGT a try and let me know results.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. - Privacy Policy