Sorting Suggestion

andrake

Question

Hi all,

One thought I had that I think would be good for the CDLC search is genre type.  Knowing the band name you will know what type of music it is.  However I am seeing band names that I've never heard of.  It would be nice to sort by items like: Pop, Alternative, Funk, Jazz, Blues, Sedimentary, Death Metal.

12 answers to this question

We've had this talk before. What I call rock you call metal. Genre is somewhat subjective depending on your background. I include genre in the tags but that doesn't work from the search side. I think it's something they are working on.

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

If this were Implemented I imagine there would be a need to restrict to the 25 main genres or you'd end up with songs being categorized by a crazy number of sub genres and it'd just be insane

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The other problem becomes, many artists release material that falls under several different genres.  Sometimes within the same album.

As mentioned above, it just becomes a jumbled mess.  Plus it leads to arguments and unnecessary trolling.  The first time somebody lists a Green Day song as Punk, all hell will break loose.

I'm trying to stick to the wikipedia defined genres.

Tagging can be usefull otherwise.. 

The Charters know if his release is

beginner, intermediate, advanced

fast or slow 

Openchords, Powerchords, Bendings, , 

Repeats, Scales, Arpeggios, finger picking

By tagging them that way, the User can find the right songs for the training his wants to do.

From a programmers point of view, it's very simple to implement. The search function could use the http://musicbrainz.org/ web service to get 'tags' (note: tags, not genre. Limiting genre to a single field would be silly, as pointed out above) on a song given the artist + song title.

Obviously there could be some conflicts due to the diversity of music out there so some sort of system could be in place on the user frontend when a song is being submitted to verify that the meta information retrieved from musicbrainz is valid. If the server can't find a valid result, then allow the user to input custom tags.

It'd be a great feature to have on the search function.

• Administrator

These cases aren't edges they are the center of the problem if the tab is wrong (and it will always be to at least one guy) you can't let people fill out with anything they want but if you put restricted choice people will always bitch about the choice that has been made or the possibiities... There's good reason that it wasn't implemented and yet discussed many times, it can be usefull but discussion always end up the same way, there's no good way to implement it correctly at least that we found at the moment.

At the same time you can use other site like this one : http://www.furia.com/misc/genremaps/engenremap.html to found out band or genre that you would like and that are available in here, it's not as direct as a genre information in the DB but it's way better than nothing.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Sorry, "if the tab is wrong"? In case you meant tag, yes, that could be a problem. To overcome it you could prevent people from entering their own tags and only allow meta information to be pulled from a centralized service.