Hi everyone,

I'm working on my first CDLC ever (You Can't Hurry Love by The Supremes) and I'm thinking about many more Motown old school classics for future posts. The thing is, I'm a bassist so I started with a bass tab only. And when I started trying to add a rhythm guitar track I had a really hard time and simply gave up.

So I wanna know if any guitar player is willing to help me with this project of Motown Classics? Maybe a pack of 4-5 songs to start with.

Cheers

Fred

(Click me)

** See my releases and WIP here **

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

If you have a tab or any information at all on what the guitar is doing I can try to help you out.  The guitar is buried in the mix a bit on this song but I can hear it hitting chords on 2 & 4 in some parts and strumming in other parts.

What other songs are you thinking of doing?  I love me some Motown so if I can help out I'll be happy to.

Thanks @@cstewart ! I'll send you a PM with the link to the guitar tabs I found.

My other ideas are :

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammy Terrell

Baby Love - The Supremes

My Girl - The Temptations

Reach Out I'll Be There - The Four Tops

Stop! In The Name of Love - The Supremes

Where Did Our Love Go - The Supremes

You Keep Me Hangin' On - The Supremes

Of course there are many more Motown classics so I leave it up to you guys to give more ideas...

• Like 1

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

Thanks @@cstewart ! I'll send you a PM with the link to the guitar tabs I found.

My other ideas are :

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye & Tammy Terrell

Baby Love - The Supremes

My Girl - The Temptations

Reach Out I'll Be There - The Four Tops

Stop! In The Name of Love - The Supremes

Where Did Our Love Go - The Supremes

You Keep Me Hangin' On - The Supremes

Of course there are many more Motown classics so I leave it up to you guys to give more ideas...

Man I would kill to have these customs. ! :wub:

:wub: My mother said I could grow up to be anything I wanted

So I became an Asshole. :D

@@Bornwild well it would help me a lot if you could find Guitar Pro tabs for the songs you wish me to do and more important test these tabs, play them and see if they sound right.

Rhythm tracks will be just fine, since Motown songs usually don't have crazy Van Halen-like solos anyway ;)

Thanks!

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

@@Bornwild well it would help me a lot if you could find Guitar Pro tabs for the songs you wish me to do and more important test these tabs, play them and see if they sound right.

Rhythm tracks will be just fine, since Motown songs usually don't have crazy Van Halen-like solos anyway ;)

Thanks!

I can do that !

:wub: My mother said I could grow up to be anything I wanted

So I became an Asshole. :D

I just found this site:

http://musicnoteslib.com/search.html?text=SUPREMES

It has scores (as in standard notation) for a bunch of Motown songs, including some on your list.  The scores often show bass, horns and piano too.You want the "piano" arrangement in the list, since the chord and tab arrangements will be the worthless tabs you can find anywhere on the internet.

From what little I've seen, it looks like the role of guitar in this type of music is mostly accenting beats 2 & 4, similar to ska or bluegrass mandolin.  That might be ok though since the piano and horn parts are there and you can probably adapt either of those for guitar and end up with something fun to play.

• Like 1

Ok, I've downloaded it and converted it to a Mac psarc, and it works just fine.

I ramped the difficulty on the whole song up to 100% and got on with playing it. :)

It's far beyond my playing skills at the moment, as I've only been playing about 6 months, but I do think there may be some missing notes in there?

I've played the whole song through, and noticed I was hitting notes that did not appear, nothing unusual for me so far...

As I only got about 75% in the song, I decided to put the first bar on riff repeater.  I think I spotted a missing note right towards the end of the first bar - there's a slight pause that appears, but I think I can hear a note on the backing track.

As I say, I'm a noob, so I don't know how useful this info is to you.

Thank you for all your efforts.  (I really must start work on some Abba! lol).

Edit: I am of course talking bass, and only bass.

@@missis sumner I would be very interested to know how you turned my PC file into a Mac file, did you use a specific software?

As for the missing note, I'm pretty sure the tab is correct because I took it from an "official" nook (Motown Bass Classics published by Hal Leonard, they're usually accurate). I'll listen to it again just to be sure.

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

@@missis sumner I would be very interested to know how you turned my PC file into a Mac file, did you use a specific software?

As for the missing note, I'm pretty sure the tab is correct because I took it from an "official" nook (Motown Bass Classics published by Hal Leonard, they're usually accurate). I'll listen to it again just to be sure.

I used the Rocksmith Custom Song Creator Toolkit, linked on here somewhere, I'm sure?

I'll look for the link, if you need it?  Of course, I'm using the Mac version, but I'm sure there is a PC version also?

Maybe the missing note is a sync issue, or then again it could be my ears.  As I say I've only been playing bass six months.  :)

@@missis sumner I listened to the intro over and over again and I'm almost 100% sure that I tabbed it correctly. You can find the full tab here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6m_wq3XxyzrZTJEZkpuZ2hDUms/edit?usp=sharing

About the RS Song Creator Toolkit, yes I have it but I just didn't know that it could also be used to edit a psarc file, I thought it was only meant to build one. Do you need to do anything specific to turn a PC file into a Mac file?

(Click me)

Pink Floyd DLC list

Queen DLC list

The Beatles DLC list

@@missis sumner I listened to the intro over and over again and I'm almost 100% sure that I tabbed it correctly. You can find the full tab here : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6m_wq3XxyzrZTJEZkpuZ2hDUms/edit?usp=sharing

About the RS Song Creator Toolkit, yes I have it but I just didn't know that it could also be used to edit a psarc file, I thought it was only meant to build one. Do you need to do anything specific to turn a PC file into a Mac file?

No problem, and sorry if I've caused you bother - it could just be my ears!  I'll take a look at the tab, tomorrow though.  My neighbours won't thank me for it tonight… ;)

Nothing really specific, no.  You choose the source format (PC), and the target format (Mac/PS3/Xbox) and have Cherub Rock, or whatever song the original psarc used selected in the box, and just hit the "convert" key.  It's usually done in 10 seconds or less.

Edit: Just a thought though - I notice Cherub Rock is greyed out when I try to select a target of PS3 or Xbox, so I don't know if you need to have it in the particular format of your intended target file.  Obviously, I bought the Mac version to run on my Mac.