Charting a Pick Slide

JoeArchitect

Question

15 answers to this question

I usually just chart it as a bunch of notes in ascending/descending order. There's no notation for it in RS14 but once they player knows the song he'll recognize the pick slide 

The trouble with this would be that the game would have a very difficult time with note recognition here, which would cause the player to "miss" all of those descending notes as far as RS is concerned. Even if the pick slide is actually played correctly.I'd say you'd be better off charting it as a fretted, muted note. Then author a slide down to the desired fret. For example chart a note on the 20th fret (or wherever you think the pick slide should start) and hit SHIFT+X with that note selected. Then hit CTRL+down arrow, and then enter where you'd like the slide to stop.This way, RS isn't going to be looking for any specific note from the player, just any noise whatsoever. Make sense?

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

Since Rocksmith doesn't support a pick slide, there is really no point. But, the previous response very well could be the best option.

I'm Allergic To Stupidity. I Break Out In Sarcasm.

I usually just chart it as a bunch of notes in ascending/descending order. There's no notation for it in RS14 but once they player knows the song he'll recognize the pick slide 

The trouble with this would be that the game would have a very difficult time with note recognition here, which would cause the player to "miss" all of those descending notes as far as RS is concerned. Even if the pick slide is actually played correctly.I'd say you'd be better off charting it as a fretted, muted note. Then author a slide down to the desired fret. For example chart a note on the 20th fret (or wherever you think the pick slide should start) and hit SHIFT+X with that note selected. Then hit CTRL+down arrow, and then enter where you'd like the slide to stop.This way, RS isn't going to be looking for any specific note from the player, just any noise whatsoever. Make sense?

This makes sense, but the pick slide in question would be on the open "E" string, the slide (if played correctly) starts in between the pickups and goes down the neck a bit.

So if I chart a muted slide in the upper frets won't it require the player to fret that note?  

• Administrator

if it's hand muted, RS will take any sound for it anyway.

I think it's better to let a blank in RS so people do what they want to the way they want but that's just a personal opinion. ;)

• Like 1

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

if it's hand muted, RS will take any sound for it anyway.

I think it's better to let a blank in RS so people do what they want to the way they want but that's just a personal opinion. ;)

Thanks for the pointer, and that's a good option, I'd like to include something - is there a way using events to let the player know there's a pick slide?  I suppose I could add a lyric, but that seems cheesy. 

Popup messages worked in RS1 and would have been a good way to tell the user to do a pick slide, but I don't believe RS2 supports these. If you weren't including lyrics in the song, you may be able to just use the lyric track to provide playing instructions, but it wouldn't be customizable for each instrument track.

Popup messages worked in RS1 and would have been a good way to tell the user to do a pick slide, but I don't believe RS2 supports these. If you weren't including lyrics in the song, you may be able to just use the lyric track to provide playing instructions, but it wouldn't be customizable for each instrument track.

Appreciate the reply but you've confirmed my fears regarding pop-up events.

There is a lyric track and luckily the scratch is in the transitional bridge where there aren't any lyrics at that point in time.

I'll try the lyric track to see what I can come up with.

• Administrator

@@Xstatic : every single official DLC with pick slide contain a tapping indicator on the note and use an unpitch slide so i guess it would be better to be as consistant as possible with that.

Also, they sometimes ad tremolo or vibrato to the note and i've used in some the handmute indicator but it's a bit misleading as the fretting hand doesn't mute anything when doing a pick slide

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I always interpret picked slide as unpitched muted slide with tremolo effect(not vibrato like on video above at 1:55) and do ignore option on it to eliminate detection lssues for 100% 

• Like 1