Importing a GP file causes EoF to crash

PC Plum

Hi, it's not any GP fiole it's a specific one which I want to use, this one

https://www.sendspace.com/file/cm1sks

It keeps crashing EoF when i try to import it.  It loads and works fine in GP5.

I have tried r1341, r1338 and even 1334, and they all crash at the same point of import, which is just after I click "No" to do I want to use the GP file's time signatures, and just before it asks if I would like to use the sections as phrases.

Here is the report from Windows

Problem signature:  Problem Event Name:  APPCRASH  Application Name:  eof.exe  Application Version:  0.0.0.0  Application Timestamp:  53a3b944  Fault Module Name:  eof.exe  Fault Module Version:  0.0.0.0  Fault Module Timestamp:  53a3b944  Exception Code:  c0000005  Exception Offset:  000cca0e  OS Version:  6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3  Locale ID:  2057  Additional Information 1:  0a9e  Additional Information 2:  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789  Additional Information 3:  0a9e  Additional Information 4:  0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Anyone any ideas?

I think it may be because there are named sections in the GP file, but it does not name any of them until bar 6...  and I don't know GP well enough to just remove bars 1 through 5, which I won't need anyway.

Any help would be appreciated :)

I studied the problem for a while before I realized what was going on. At the end of the tab where it switches to 5/8, Guitar Pro is writing the empty measures with whole note rests. This is musically inaccurate because the empty measure is supposed to be 5 eighth rests instead, and then the math goes wrong because EOF was assuming the note durations were proper and ends up expecting the rest note to be 8 beats long instead of the expected 5. I don't know if this is something Guitar Pro commonly does, but I hadn't run into it before.

I verified that if I manually authored the correct rest notes in the empty 5/8 measures (one half and one eighth rest for each) in every track, EOF imported that without crashing so GP's careless notation was the problem. I'll add some logic to try to correct these timing errors when they are found in the GP file.

Wow, you like solving problems more than me :)

Thanks man!

It's also the first time I've seen it (a certain GP file crashing multiple EoFs), but to be fair it looks like the first U2 live GP file made by Edge1996, probably my all time favorite GP file maker - and he was only 15 at the time (if his sig is to be believed)...

I dunno who I like more, you or Edge1996  :D