How to use Custom DLCs in RS2014 Remastered [Updated for 2023]

Izzy

Hello, i have read all the pages and havent found anyone with the same problem as me...

Im using steam version on pc, bought the cherub rock DLC to make things easyer

I followed the tutorial and everything worked great, downloaded some songs as a test and they worked great, then i downloaded some more, and when i try to play them i get a weird error, where the music get stuck at 100% dificulty. I made a video showing the problem because i know that my english is not good enough to explain in details what happens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4keCYps9fM

Any help will be greatly apreciated...

@@cholerae Not all customs are created with dynamic difficulty levels (the one in your video doesn't have DD).  If they don't have DD, they'll behave like the difficulty is locked at 100% even if it says 0% in Riff Repeater, just like you're experiencing.  

You should be able to use the custom toolkit to add it yourself if you really want DD though.  The subforum for the toolkit is located here with the download link and some guides on how to use it.  The specific tool is called DDC (Dynamic Difficulty Creator).

• Like 1

@@cholerae Not all customs are created with dynamic difficulty levels (the one in your video doesn't have DD).  If they don't have DD, they'll behave like the difficulty is locked at 100% even if it says 0% in Riff Repeater, just like you're experiencing.  

You should be able to use the custom toolkit to add it yourself if you really want DD though.  The subforum for the toolkit is located here with the download link and some guides on how to use it.  The specific tool is called DDC (Dynamic Difficulty Creator).

Thx a lot man, of the last 35 customs songs i added only 3 had the dynamic difficulty :( since im a real begginer gona have to choose some and try to add DD myself.

edit: Just made a test with the same song and it worked :)

Hello i have the problem that when i start the song and after the tuning, the game just freeze and nothing happens just can see the speakers and thats all. I have the dll 1.8m version because the 129kb doesn't work on my game. What can i do? i downloaded like 20 songs and none of them can play :S

@@dscottintexas It sounds like you are doing everything correct. Strange that only 1 custom is showing up at a time. I have over 100 showing up in my learn a song menu.

All I can suggest is just double checking everything. Make sure you have the correct D3DX9_42.dll file and that it is located in the Rocksmith2014 directory.

I have seen two versions of this file. One has a size of about 129kb and the other is about 1.80mb. You want the smaller one.

Have you tried the rocksmith 2014 patcher.exe file that is listed as PC alternative 2 at the top of this thread?

Make sure your cdlc's are placed in the Rocksmith2014/dlc folder.

Sounds like you are following the correct steps using the toolkit. Unless the song already has the AppID of a song you own, I don't think the song will show up in the learn a song menu if you haven't changed the AppID. 

If you have not watched this video you might watch it just to see if you are missing something.

http://customsforge.com/topic/938-video-guide-how-to-use-cdlc-pc/

Great news; I located the link to the smaller dll file and BINGO, the songs are playing just fine now. Thank you sooooo much.

FANTASTIC! I downloaded the correct (smaller) dll file and installed it and everything is working perfectly now. Thank you so much for the help. Please post this information in the FAQ where it can be found easily. I'm sure there are a lot more with the same problem. I had to search for yours before I found it here. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I have done what the vidoe said but I cant seem to get the dlc to play (PC) I'll Dl the song (metallica- Master of puppets. also seek and destroy) and I'll see it in my list of songs to learn but when i click the song I'm only able to tune my guitar. after that, the game wiill freeze up (I wont be able to  back out of the song) but I can still play my guitar. anyone have any suggestions to fix this??

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this was already covered, and I missed it. I use to play RS 2014 a while ago back in the Smitty Anvil (or whatever is was called) days. Before, you didn't need an actual song download to do this fake song id stuff. You just downloaded the songs, dropped them in DLC, and they showed up in the game the same as all the original songs. What happened with doing it that way? Did they catch on and start blocking it?

• Administrator

@@GreenNova07 first go to the toolkit dedicated part of the forum : http://customsforge.com/forum/56-rocksmith-custom-tool-kit/

And then i think you might need to be a little more precise about any error that you might get so that the dev can actually help you.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Hey guys, new to this, but I'm also having problems with playing cdlc's. I managed to download the songs and put them on the dlc folder, but they wouldn't even show up in the song roster. Then I realized I had to get the d3dx9_42.dll on the same folder, so I tried to download it from the links in the video. After a while I managed to "download" d3dx9_42.dll, but then my PC asked me to search the web or browse my software to find a way to open it. I got OpenFreely, but It opened it as an adobe acrobat file, and when I opened RS the song wouldn't even show again. I deleted OpenFreely and moved the (unopened) .dll file to the dlc folder, but I got the same results. I have tried to find a solution on my own, but honestly I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. If any of you can help, I'd truly appreciate it. Thank you sooo very much.

• Administrator

@@Bloodigan The dll go in the root folder of rocksmith not the DLC folder, and no need to open the dll just put it in the same place as Rocksmith executable (.exe) and you should be good to go.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Hey man, Thank you so much for the tip :) I manage to get the cdlc's on my song list, however, now I'm getting stuck in the amp page prior to starting the song (right after tuning). I have both the .dll and the patcher (.exe) in the general RS2014 root folder, and I've reinstalled the game twice. Really no idea what's going on or if there's a solution for this.

• Administrator

You should only have one of those option at the same time, both can actually make none of them active and therefore explain why your games hang after starting a song.

Get rid of the patcher first and put only the .dll file in RS root folder. Once you've done that try to play 1 CDLC, if it works, well don't fix it if it ain't broken. If it hangs again, delete the dll and use the patcher..

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know you have to buy one song though Ubisoft/Steam in order to get cdlc's to work.

You also want to make sure the official DLC you have purchased isn't something so recently released that the Toolkit hasn't been updated to allow you to change the AppID. Most of us that pre-purchased RS2014 got the CherubRock as a free dlc, so that is what most of us use. It might be worth buying CherubRock just so that you don't have to mess with learning how to change the AppID in the Toolkit (although that is definitely a core skill you want to develop).

How do you change the AppID in the Toolkit? 

• 2 weeks later...