How to use Custom DLCs in RS2014 Remastered [Updated for 2023]

Izzy

guys i need some help. i ve been an early bird to rocksmith which means i got cherub rock for free with the preorder...steam says its installed. but when i put that dll in the root of the folder and try to run it from steam the game crashes. when i try the alternative method and log in with uplay the cherub rock dlc doesnt show up and neither do the cdlcs... any help? 

I purchased DLC's recently but unfortunately the current version of the Custom Song Toolkit does not have my DLC's listed. Is there a way to update the pull-down tab to contain the app id's and titles of the DLC's I purchased?

I just downloaded a cdlc AC/DC 'You Shook Me All Night Long' and its app id is Cherub Rock. I just purchased 3 KISS songs on DLC and their app ID's are not in the Rocksmith ToolkitGUI

he is correct in saying this..  but if you purchase just "one dlc" (Cherub Rock), they will all show up in your program as long as the cdlc's have been tied to "Cherub Rock"..

• Administrator

I'm running Windows 10 and I've followed the tutorial using all the different options.  I bought both the game and Cherub Rock.  The game runs fine using the dll file that came with the game.  All of my dlc and cdlc files show up, but the cdlc files crash freeze after tuning.  When I replace that dll file with one of the ones in the OP, the game crashes during startup.  Running the game with the patcher exe starts the game, but no dlc or cdlc show up.

Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 10 and I've followed the tutorial using all the different options.  I bought both the game and Cherub Rock.  The game runs fine using the dll file that came with the game.  All of my dlc and cdlc files show up, but the cdlc files crash freeze after tuning.  When I replace that dll file with one of the ones in the OP, the game crashes during startup.  Running the game with the patcher exe starts the game, but no dlc or cdlc show up.

Any ideas?

You must not have followed the instructions correctly. Your best bet is to remove any/all custom .dlls and start over. You need to literally follow the directions word for world to ensure that you have not missed something.

Also, if you've tried multiple times with different .dll files, it's worth noting that you should only have ONE in the root folder (not the dlc folder) and if you've added the same .dll multiple times, it cannot have a (2) in the file name. 

The Led Zeppelin Discography thread

learning to chart > asking someone else to do it

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

I followed the instructions.  I even uninstalled/reinstalled and tried again last night.  I get the same results.  It's not a complicated process, so I'm sure I'm doing it right.  Don't know what else to consider.  Is 129k the correct size for the downloaded dll?  Seems odd as the original is 1.8mb.

That should be the correct file size, yes.

I'm certainly not saying that you're incapable of following the tutorial's directions, but rather that it's more likely that you'd find a quicker solution via the tutorial steps than through one of us guessing your specific issue among the many possible scenarios.

I can't tell you how may times I've seen someone that said "I followed the tutorial, but..." only to discover that they missed a step. Couldn't to run through it again step by step. 

I you could post a screenshot of your root folder, where the .dll file is, that could end up being helpful in discovering the problem.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Lester Bangs

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I have posted about this in help an support but so far Ive not gotten far with this issue. What i know if when I download and install the DLL listed as PC alternative from the op's post and put in my CDLC library I keep geting a glitch of master mode where it will try to turn it on even when I have it set to off and level up also to off.  I dont mind MM most times but on some songs or some times I just dont want it on.. There is also an issue with my tones not sounding quite right also..  I dont know if its the DLL file or if its a custom song causing this but those 2 issues effect more then just my CDLC they also effect official DLC like when I was playing foreplay/long time from Boston or Fear of the Dark by Iron maiden for examples. If this is not a glitch caused from the DLL file I wonder if it may be because of the Dance of Death CDLC.. That is another song Ive notice these issues with but I cant be sure.. Im hoping someone here has some insight.

PC alternative 1:

DOWNLOAD Copy to Rocksmith 2014 root folder;
Run the game by normal Rocksmith2014 executable app (will popup a console debug window, it's normal, don't worry)
Thanks to Zephyrix for this patch.
If first one doesn't work, use this updated version:
Updated version -> DOWNLOAD

@@JoeCow - I've never heard of anything like that happening before. Are you using the most up to date version of Rocksmith? Maybe this was a bug that has been addressed by one of Ubisoft's updates.

I doubt it would work, but perhaps try using the patcher .exe (option right below the .dll link in the tutorial) instead of the .dll.

Tried all 3 solutions the last one for steam I can't make much sense of.

It says to Extract it anywhere and then to run the app as normal but, the problem is... There is nothing to run.

It's all just files but no exe or anything.

Check to make sure that you're following the PC instructions (if you do in fact have a PC, and vice versa). The above sounds like the Mac instructions.

If you weren't able to have success with either of the .dll files, then it probably means that you did not place it in the correct folder. It goes in the root folder, not the dlc folder. Also, check to make sure you don't have multiple .dll files, or ones that have a "(2)" in the name. If you do, it will not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm new to Rocksmith, I bought it on steam (mac).

I'm struggling to get things to work, I saw other videos for mac and read tutorials on sites and they said i had to install "Rocksmith Custom Song Toolkit". So I did that and when I tried to open it it said i needed "mono framework" so i downloaded and installed that. Now the problem is I don't know what to do next, i installed Mono but the toolkit still says i need mono framework and I don't know where i can find the installed mono program. 

What should I do??

UPDATE:

I found the mono framework in my library so i'm sure it's installed. But i'm still confused as my toolkit won't work

Hey,

I'm new to Rocksmith, I bought it on steam (mac).

I'm struggling to get things to work, I saw other videos for mac and read tutorials on sites and they said i had to install "Rocksmith Custom Song Toolkit". So I did that and when I tried to open it it said i needed "mono framework" so i downloaded and installed that. Now the problem is I don't know what to do next, i installed Mono but the toolkit still says i need mono framework and I don't know where i can find the installed mono program. 

What should I do??

UPDATE:

I found the mono framework in my library so i'm sure it's installed. But i'm still confused as my toolkit won't work

There's a specific thread in the tutorials section for mac users. You may want to check that out.

• 1 month later...

I have the D3DX9_42.dll file installed and the cdlc in the dlc folder. I have the cherub rock dlc downloaded as well. The songs show up in my learn a song but after the tuner nothing happens it just sits there and the song does not start. Using the pc version.

I have the D3DX9_42.dll file installed and the cdlc in the dlc folder. I have the cherub rock dlc downloaded as well. The songs show up in my learn a song but after the tuner nothing happens it just sits there and the song does not start. Using the pc version.

It's very likely that you've either placed the .dll file in the wrong folder, or it is not named properly. 

It must be in the root folder (the same subfolder that contains the .exe file that you use to start the game) and there cannot be duplicates. Also, check to make sure that the .dll file does not contain a "(1)" or "(2)" in the file name, as this will cause it to not work.

It also wouldn't hurt to try playing a different CDLC or one with lots of downloads and/or no reports of problems, as it could be that you've been trying to play a CDLC that simply does not work.

• 2 weeks later...

It's very likely that you've either placed the .dll file in the wrong folder, or it is not named properly. 

It must be in the root folder (the same subfolder that contains the .exe file that you use to start the game) and there cannot be duplicates. Also, check to make sure that the .dll file does not contain a "(1)" or "(2)" in the file name, as this will cause it to not work.

It also wouldn't hurt to try playing a different CDLC or one with lots of downloads and/or no reports of problems, as it could be that you've been trying to play a CDLC that simply does not work.

im having the exact same issue as this guy you said the .dll cant have a 1 or 2 in the name? so should i rename my d3dx9_42.dll to just d3dx9_4.dll or something so that there is no 2 in the name?

im having the exact same issue as this guy you said the .dll cant have a 1 or 2 in the name? so should i rename my d3dx9_42.dll to just d3dx9_4.dll or something so that there is no 2 in the name?

This only refers to the numbers in parenthesis that are added when a duplicate file is added to the folder. You don't wan't to delete anything in the filename otherwise.

Sounds like you're missing a step in this tutorial.

This only refers to the numbers in parenthesis that are added when a duplicate file is added to the folder. You don't wan't to delete anything in the filename otherwise.

Sounds like you're missing a step in this tutorial.

im pretty sure i caught everything i had this working on win 8.1 but ill re check everything thank you for your time:)

Why does it need a DX9 dll?  I located the file in my windows directory and copied it to the root folder, but I still have the same problem with the song not loading after tuning.

Do you have to use a modified version of the dx dll?  Was this file altered to allow importing custom songs?  With the old Rocksmith client, there wasn't any need for a custom dll or hacking the executable.  Did they try to prevent this in Rocksmith 2014?

• Administrator

@@cf9onwasd Yes the file is needed, it basically bypass Rocksmith verification that there's no duplicate APPID in the DLCs

The first Rocksmith also needed alteration to it's game files to allow custom songs to work if i recall correctly.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Hello Everyone... have a macbook with steam on it and of course Rocksmith 2014. Just new to this CDLC thing.

Here is my issue...RSInjector does not open Rocksmith2014. For your information, I am a linux engineer so performing the task explained on the tutorial is quite easy for me.

Here are my facts before starting to make questions about what I did:

1. followed all the steps well.

1.1 Rocksmith2014 has been purchased from steam. Cherub Rock also has been purchased from steam and shows on the list. I did not play with it but I will after finishing this comment.

2. downloaded mono, toolkit and worked fine (yes, took some time to start the first time, after that the toolkit opened fast)

2.1 used toolkit to change pc CDLC to mac and seems to work fine, even changed the UID to the 

3. Have a secondary HDD and have the steam games on that HDD, So , yes...did the symlink...('DISCO 2 MAC' is the 2nd HDD)

here is the return of: ls -l on the /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/  

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  51 Jun 12 20:59 common -> /Volumes/DISCO 2 MAC/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/

4. Downloaded the RSInjector from this tutorial...no output, no Rocksmith2014 start, the process stays running in background (have to kill it) 

5. Downloaded another RSInjector founded on other place (it claims that it could not found Rocksmith2014.app)

6. I can cd to /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Rocksmith2014 without problems

7. made chown (changed the user/group ownership) to the RSInjector but same thing.

8. The CDLC downloaded are shown in Rocksmith2014 (Paradise city, highway to hell, back in black) but wont play. I executed Rocksmith2014 from steam...RSInjector does not open Rocksmith2014.

Here is my system, maybe there is a know issue with the versions I dont know:

OSX Yosemite: 10.10.4 (14E46)

Mono JIT compiler version 4.4.0 (mono-4.4.0-branch-c7-baseline/5995f74 Thu Jun  2 15:13:10 EDT 2016)

Could not find the steam version but I guess it is the latest as it auto-upgrade itself.

Searched on the git-hub about RSInjector and seems looking the software in the right place and my symlink seems ok.

I dont want to install cocoa and development framework to just compile RSInjector... maybe is the only way.

My 1st HDD (system) has 128 GB and has 18 GB left...the 2nd HDD is 750GB with plenty of space...it is the best option to save all the CDLC I want...I dont want to install Steam and Rocksmith2014 in the first HDD.

Known issues? something I miss in here? sorry about this large comment, but I think it will save some time on the questions about what I did.

Best Regards and thanks in advance for any information that could help.

Hello Everyone... have a macbook with steam on it and of course Rocksmith 2014. Just new to this CDLC thing.

Here is my issue...RSInjector does not open Rocksmith2014. For your information, I am a linux engineer so performing the task explained on the tutorial is quite easy for me.

Here are my facts before starting to make questions about what I did:

1. followed all the steps well.

1.1 Rocksmith2014 has been purchased from steam. Cherub Rock also has been purchased from steam and shows on the list. I did not play with it but I will after finishing this comment.

2. downloaded mono, toolkit and worked fine (yes, took some time to start the first time, after that the toolkit opened fast)

2.1 used toolkit to change pc CDLC to mac and seems to work fine, even changed the UID to the 

3. Have a secondary HDD and have the steam games on that HDD, So , yes...did the symlink...('DISCO 2 MAC' is the 2nd HDD)

here is the return of: ls -l on the /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/  

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  51 Jun 12 20:59 common -> /Volumes/DISCO 2 MAC/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/

4. Downloaded the RSInjector from this tutorial...no output, no Rocksmith2014 start, the process stays running in background (have to kill it) 

5. Downloaded another RSInjector founded on other place (it claims that it could not found Rocksmith2014.app)

6. I can cd to /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Rocksmith2014 without problems

7. made chown (changed the user/group ownership) to the RSInjector but same thing.

8. The CDLC downloaded are shown in Rocksmith2014 (Paradise city, highway to hell, back in black) but wont play. I executed Rocksmith2014 from steam...RSInjector does not open Rocksmith2014.

Here is my system, maybe there is a know issue with the versions I dont know:

OSX Yosemite: 10.10.4 (14E46)

Mono JIT compiler version 4.4.0 (mono-4.4.0-branch-c7-baseline/5995f74 Thu Jun  2 15:13:10 EDT 2016)

Could not find the steam version but I guess it is the latest as it auto-upgrade itself.

Searched on the git-hub about RSInjector and seems looking the software in the right place and my symlink seems ok.

I dont want to install cocoa and development framework to just compile RSInjector... maybe is the only way.

My 1st HDD (system) has 128 GB and has 18 GB left...the 2nd HDD is 750GB with plenty of space...it is the best option to save all the CDLC I want...I dont want to install Steam and Rocksmith2014 in the first HDD.

Known issues? something I miss in here? sorry about this large comment, but I think it will save some time on the questions about what I did.

Best Regards and thanks in advance for any information that could help.

You'll find fully working instructions for using CDLC on a Mac here:

http://customsforge.com/topic/10547-how-to-add-custom-songs-on-mac/

You need to install Rocksmith 2014 into the default directory.  It won't work if it's installed somewhere else, even with a symlink.

• 3 weeks later...