How do you feel about dynamic difficulty?

devindog23

Question

I don't mind it. As a beginner going intermediate, for some songs, I need DD. Though RR has more of a learning impact most of the time. There are some songs I like, but haven't downloaded because of how tough it'll be with no DD even with RR. Most songs I can get through fine with lots of practice.

• Like 1

DD is pointless imo. When the difficulty increases you often have to readjust your fingering.

You're better off learning with 100% difficulty and slowing the speed down to a manageable level then increasing the speed as you go. a much better way of learning songs imo.

• Like 4

DD would be great if it was smartly made. I mean: if the missing note were well chosen.

Most of the time the missing notes make the song truly hard to memorise.

So I don't use DD.

My dream is customs with 2 or 3 difficulty levels that would be easyer versions of the song (some kind of a new arrangement of the song)...

• Like 1

personally i like the DD , some time ago someone posted up some malmsteen tunes with no DD and i thought jeez guys why haven't you put in in to give some of us at least a fightiing chance !!

in that comment do i in anyway wish to sound ungrateful to who posted them up ( I am a viking and disciples of hell)

really great work guys

• Like 1

As a newbie I like the option to play DD.  Initially I would not download any songs without DD.  But with the song creator software available it is easy to take a non dd song and make it DD.  I'm still not sure of the difference between a Rocksmith made song with DD, a CDLC song made with DD and a CDLC song that was not made with DD that I ran through the software to create the DD file. Is there a difference between a CDLC dd and one where I took the CDLC and created the DD through the software or are they both the same? 

• Like 1

It's more fun with DD to learn a song I don't know that good yet since I can learn the timing and the notes little by little. However, some streaks are more difficult with some notes removed than with all of them in place, and if I really want to learn a song I go to the riff repeater (which I do when I reach my limit on DD as well).

All 'my' CDLC's are free to be improved upon and re-released by anybody. Constructive comments are welcome as well :)

I used to ignore dynamic difficulty, and just open riff repeater and level the whole song to 100%. But this way I was having trouble learning sections with many notes, even when I slowed it down. I also noticed that this was making the game less fun to me, and I was getting frustrated.

This week I decided to use a different approach. I configure riff repeater to don't accelerate, and left the difficulty untouched. Then I just repeat the section in a slower speed (depending on the section, but usually about 70%), paying attention to fingering position, until I manage to level up and reach 100% difficulty. Just after that I turn on acceleration and start increasing speed. It's working better for me so far.

• Like 1

There is only one reason why I don't include DD in my customs anymore, at least not as the main arrangement: there's a bug that levels you down if you miss too many notes in a phrase/section, even if Level up is set to off. This does not happen every time, but it happens often enough to be annoying. I don't know if it's introduced by using the "crack"  to use CDLCs in the first place, or the way the DDC works. But there it is.

My first few months I really did benifit off DD but now I dont use it at all. If the song is too hard I will either try the whole song at a comfortable speed and use it more as a guitar lesson rather then a song to jam to or I will just remove it. I have a whole folder of cdlc's like this so I can re visit when my skills improve.

Im more used to playing along with the song at the speed its at. when the scroll screen slows down it throws me off now and id rather play the song the way its meant to be played or not play it at all.

DD was very usefull for my first 3 months. When just holding a guitar was overwhelming. I think its a great tool for beginers to get over that hump.

As for riff repeater. I would absolutly love if they included a more customized version of it in the next rocksmith.

I play a lot of songs at slow speed from begining to end but theres always parts of the song that i am up to speed with.

If we could play a song at regular speed and have it slow down at requested parts like solos where some may be not up to speed I feel like people could benifit off that.

• Like 1

I think Azrael hit the nail on the head earlier in this thread.

Isn't it about choice? I am disappointed by expert players saying it should be gotten rid of, because I would argue it is part of Rocksmith's success. Like many beginners, I was put off learning an instrument because of the tedious stage of playing "Row Row Your Boat" songs as they are easy. I wanted to play the songs I love! I wanted to feel like a rock God!

So RS was a godsend. Sure, at the start I was hitting one note every 5 seconds but it sold me on the illusion of being able to play songs like my heroes. And even if it was an illusion, it was a convincing enough illusion to motivate me to stick with it, something other methodologies had failed to do. So now, I am still a beginner really, but when I compare where I am and what my fingers can now play now compared to when I started, I can only sing RS' praises - and DD plays a big part of that.

Some DD is better than others. For example, the official DLC of Pearl Jam's Alive is awesome because even at the lowest levels, the song comes through and riffs would be recognisable even without the backing track - key to good DD.

Some have said RR slowed down is the best way - FOR THEM - and I do use that too for tricky set pieces I need to get down, but whilst it is really great and essential for actually improving and learning, it is not really fun as such. Last night, when a buddy of mine (also beginner) came over, we just wanted to have fun, so played for 4 or 5 hours in Multiplayer, and DD allows us to just enjoy the buzz of hitting notes to a song without being overwhelmed.

I would like to see DD tweaked slightly in a future iteration of RS. Sometimes, I play a sequence well at the limit of my abilities and suddenly RS cranks it up to beyond my abilities. I would love to have more control in LAS (as well as RR) in the form of a slider, which allows me to take some of the 'dynamic' out of DD when I so wish, but that's a small point.

In closing, Santa is bringing an electric guitar to my 7 yr old daughter for xmas, and I think DD will be key in getting her into RS. Sitting and concentrating on notes to a muddy slowed down song in RR will never cut it for a beginner 7 year old child.

• Like 3

I know that nowadays DD is under a big debate being either good or bad, but for people like me going directly to the full version of songs like this is way too much. I'd love to be able to play without, but I still need a few years of experience (which I will gain in time). I'm working on phrases, I'm maximizing the levels where I can (manually), but there are solos which cannot be played (at my current level of practice).

I envy all of you guys which state that DD is useless, because it means that you can play the songs almost as lead guitarists in bands.\

But, as many more before me stated, the first RS brought me in front of my (newly bought) electric guitar for the first time. How could I have learned to play without DD? I think that in RS the most amazing and motivating thing is that you can actually play and feel that you are part of the band, of the song and when you know the song and you don't play it with full notes then you always want to improve and you'll do it.

I have gained a lot of experience since my first song played, but I still cannot manage the hard solos without DD. When i try a new song I play it once how it is to get familiar with the music. Then, I check it in the riff repeater and I try to maximize all that I can and resume playing.

There are many songs which I can play now >90% with all maximized levels but I still need a lot of practice and learning to do (and sadly I also have to work :P so my guitar practice hours are limited).

So, for all of you which are so good that you can create amazing CDLC please add the DD to allow newbies to taste the experience and the feeling of playing the song without the frustration of seeing tens of notes rushing.... Remember one thing: everyone which wants DD would gladly trade this for the capability of playing without it.

Regarding the repeating of phrases in RR, you can do it up to a point. Me, as a Pink Floyd fan, I dream about playing Comfortably Numb. I studied it in RS1 (when I was a real newb) and here also. Now, I can do the first solo with maybe 2-3 missed notes but the second still troubles me. I've been practicing these solos in RR for many hours, and this is only one song and I still cannot master it. Just  imagine a normal person, which can dedicate 1 hour per day for playing guitar, to get stuck for 20 hours (3 weeks) with just one song in RR. The fun to play goes away.

So I vote yes for DD but I hope that I will master my guitar technique to be able to play without DD one day.

Calin

• Like 4

I like dynamic difficulty very much for the following reasons:

- Seeing how difficult the parts of the song are in the top of the screen is nice to have

- It looks better! In a song without DD I always feel uncomfortable because of that unesthetic straight line in the top

- It's great when you want to get to know a new song withouht beeing overwhelmed by it's complexity.

- Also, lately I found myself trying to fill the gaps in the notes (due to lower DD) on my own, just by listening. When I found out that I was right, that was really cool!

When you really want to learn the whole of a song in the shortest possible time, of course in terms of effectivity it's best to set the difficulty to 100 % and accelarate every part on it's own until you play it perfectly.

BUT there is an important difference between effectivity and motivation.

- I feel like a lot of advanced players tend to forget what it feels like when you're a beginner. There is simply no chance you can play that song on 100 % difficulty - no way - it will just be frustrating. When you are at this stage, dynamic difficulty is super important for your motivation! When I played Rocksmith for the first time, I fired up "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden. And even though I would only play every 20th note or whatever, I felt like a superstar. It was awesome, just rocking along to the music. This feeling is extremely important for the motivation, and it's something that is unique to Rocksmith (you cannot to it with TABs)!

The last point is my most important one, and the reason why I think everyone should include DD in their CDLCs.

I am with you. I also consider myself a beginner and find it really helpful to have DD. The straight line at the top makes me uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I find it's a great idea, but I REALLY REALLY wish that it would not level down (it still does when you do the riff repeater trick but it just isn't as often)

If I want it to level down, I would have turned the damn level up thing off...

• Like 2

it's a mixed impression.    I have been using it for almost a year.  In the very beginning, I liked it because I was able to simplify things a bit, especially for areas that I struggled.     However, maybe 3 month in, it was almost a hinderance.    Its almost like trying to learn the same song and half dozen different variations of it.   Now I just crank up to 100% and go for it.   Sure there is going to be spots that I may struggle, but would rather attempt to learn it at 100% and no make it, than to keep having to tweak what's played as you level up.  It would be great if you could just turn if off when you don't want it. with a just a click.  

it's a mixed impression.    I have been using it for almost a year.  In the very beginning, I liked it because I was able to simplify things a bit, especially for areas that I struggled.     However, maybe 3 month in, it was almost a hinderance.    Its almost like trying to learn the same song and half dozen different variations of it.   Now I just crank up to 100% and go for it.   Sure there is going to be spots that I may struggle, but would rather attempt to learn it at 100% and no make it, than to keep having to tweak what's played as you level up.  It would be great if you could just turn if off when you don't want it. with a just a click.  

The riff repeater tricks works for the most part, but it will still level you down in spots if you do bad enough, which I really find annoying

It depends on what are you trying to accomplish with Rocksmith, if you just want to have fun and not really care about learning the song or such, DD can be usefull, you can play the song with a little challenge but not too much. It's also a good way to see your progression for perfect beginner because the mastery will relate to what you can do or not and it can be really good to see that you finally get to 100% mastery.

But it's clear it isn't for people that just want to learn and master a song where playing it slowly at 100% mastery will allow you to memorize the riffs and solos more quickly and more efficiently but can be less fun for a perfect beginner that just want to play.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish for many player who wants to get better quickly slowing down at 100% mastery will be more efficient to learn so DD will be useless, but if you just playing for fun and not for challenging yourself, DD can be good to use so that you won't get frustrated with hard solos/riffs that you can't play at the moment.

Fun with DD? Are you kidding me? I just don't share your  point of view for fun. :unsure:

It sucks. DD is for kids or ppl who know absolute nothing of playing guitar what is somehow contradictory for the game,RS is for ppl that know at least the basics. Eventhough if you have been playing for a while, could be boring to stick with. Is like exercises for morons.Marty Schwartz from guitarjamz told that when he was learning guitar for the first time,his professor put him to work lessons like DD IN easier difficult.Very paced chains of single strumming positions in sequences and he felt like an ass.Playing at maximum difficult you feel like you are really learning the real stuff.Like many already told DD slows your way of learning unnecesarily. Would be better to try not so difficult songs in 100 percent difficult. I just hope if Ubisoft dare to release a new RS in the future,remove that shit or just include some spider finger lessons. That would be better.

Pretty useless, Its fun to play a tune which normaly would be too difficult to pay for someone. And now they can play something that sounds the same/partially the same which is easier. But, if you REALLY want to learn something, you shoudn't leave notes away. You either choose another song, or keep practice-ing until you get it right. One cant just play some songs in RS and expect to do it flawlessly all the time, but when they learn it out of RS, with good old tabs, they might learn it better.

Greetings

It sucks. DD is for kids or ppl who know absolute nothing of playing guitar what is somehow contradictory for the game,RS is for ppl that know at least the basics.

RS is for learning and playing guitar. And if it is NOT designed to cater for absolute beginners as you seem to suggest, you should point it out to Ubisoft because they happen to have wasted a lot of time on beginner level lessons ("how to hold a pick") not to mention implementing the DD system.

There should be no music snobbery here. RS is for ALL levels of player and if you dont like DD, just set the levels to 100% and have done with it - should make no difference to you. Why rob others of the helping hand DD offers, just because you dont like it?

• Like 4

Mmm... it was fun for me when I started playing, but then it just got in the way of me actually learning a song.

I play Rocksmith to learn songs rather than having to use a boring tab on Guitar Pro, and with DD lowered down you're not actually learning the song, you're just playing some notes of the song. Whether you have fun playing half the song or not is up to the player I guess, but for me the way to go is slow down difficult parts, and speed it up as I learn it. I guess a beginner can lower the difficulty and play a very difficult song, but in the end he's not really playing the song anyways.

I'd say the best strategy to learn and practice is slowing things down and playing them over and over until you get them. For example, scale exercises, you start out very very slow and then you start going faster and faster and that will help you with your overall playing. If you grab that same scale and play out of the 30 notes 5 notes... you're not doing anything in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Guitars owned:

Schecter Damien Platinum-6 FR (EMG 85-81) | Ibanez GRG20Z | B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Warbeast (EMG 85-81) | Jackson Pro King V KVT (Duncan SH-6).

Playing since:

November 11, 2013.

Favorite Genre:

Heavy Metal \m/ (specifically Death Metal, Power Metal, etc. and the heavier stuff) 

It's a bit of an hate and love relationship. For a total beginner like myself the thing's pretty neat; helps you get accustomed to the whole idea of playing a guitar, but quite fast it becomes something that can (and will) mess up with your playing since it's essentially teaching you to do something that you shouldn't be doing.

But yes, it's fully optional so no need to cry over it.

I'd say the best strategy to learn and practice is slowing things down and playing them over and over until you get them. For example, scale exercises, you start out very very slow and then you start going faster and faster and that will help you with your overall playing. If you grab that same scale and play out of the 30 notes 5 notes... you're not doing anything in my opinion. 

What I find bemusing is the EITHER/OR argument on display here.

I don't disagree with you at all; eventually if you want to play songs the way they are meant to be played, you have to outgrow DD. But for a beginner, repeatedly plugging away at Riff Repeater can eventually get demotivating and stop RS being fun.

I personally have taken advantage of DD AND RR to improve. I push DD further until it the song seems beyond my capability, then head into RR to work on those riffs I found too complex at the level I am at. Eventually, I start to nail it, and I again have fun playing the song, until the DD moves up again and I return to RR. This way, I am improving but having the pleasure of playing a song at the same time. 

I don't see why there is an argument for one way over the other, unless you are an expert player already. For those of us who aren't, the two tools working together make a great team.... :)

• Like 2