Will Rocksmith support 5 Sting Bass Guitars ?

Darkphonix

Question

HI !

The Question is not if a 5 String bass guitar works, 

The Question is does anybodey know if Rocksmith 2014 or next Rocksmith generation will

suport 5 String Bass in Game ( That all 5 Strings will showen up in game)

Many Bands like Dream theater uses a 5 String bass and I like to play this songs

but with 4 stings its not realy possible.

Enemy inside from Dream Theater is a song thats allready needs a  5 String bass guitar but

don´t need the last string so anybodey makes this as Custom sond ( thanks to the person)

But songs like As I am from Dream Theater needs all of the 5 Strings.

Will Ubisoft make an update or can we make an idea to write an email to them or somthing else

that that can be made with an update?

Greetings  and sorry for the tippin mistakes  my english is not the yellow from the egg ^^

12 answers to this question

I'm not confident that Ubisoft will add support for 5 string bass transcriptions, but you could try authoring it in a 6 string guitar track, and just set the tuning to match that of a 5 string bass guitar (you'll have to fudge on the one extra string though). The game may or may not have problems detecting notes lower than bass's low E though.

• Administrator

It won't in RS2014 for sure, it's a too big modification to be considered as a simple patch especially since they are probably already working on the next rocksmith already and might not want their dev to work on an old game while creating the next one (only minor update to make sure of the stability of the games are made in almost every AAA game).

But looking at the fact that we were able to make it possible in RS2014 might alert Ubisoft that it is something people want to have in the game. Looking at the history behind all Ubisoft games it is very rare to loose feature unless they were unwanted by the players that's already a good point, but adding some feature can sometimes be hard but 5/6 strings bass seems realistic enough for me to be able to see it in the next release of rocksmith.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

you think they work on next rocksmith?

have you read about that ?

But I don´t understand why it won´t work with patch.

As i see Cdlcs uses the Guitar part for the 5-6 string bass so the notes are correct and you can play

songs with 5-6 string bass and create them.

Only thing they must to is to copy past the Rhythem guitar set,  Name it Bass 5- 6 string 

Change the guitar into a bass

And it will work cause it works allready with the Rhythem set so its not many work.

The only thing is, that they must make Songs für them. ( cause i dont think they will add the feature only for cdlcs )

• Administrator

It's sure that a new RS is in dev since it's how so many studio work on a IP that it only make sense that they are working on a new one. It's how the industry work.

About the fact that it won't be a patch is simply due to the ressources needed to change the game (there's poblem with note recognition for the fifth strings of a bass at the moment) so looking back at we had to do to make it work in RS2014 make it likely improbable that it will come as a patch.

It's not that it is complicated but RS2014 won't handle it correctly without major work on some part of the game that means manpoer on something they might already trying to correct for the next version.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

Basically, with custom DLC, 5-6 string bass guitars work fine.  They just require some weird workaround settings:

First, Ubisoft originally said that their note detection system didn't work very well for very low notes.  If you mess around with a 5-string bass (or a normal 4 just tuned very low), you'll notice that the in-game tuner(s) don't register a low B correctly.  Tune a 5-string guitar into standard BEADG outside of the game, then plug it into the game, and play an open B.  The tuner will bounce around like it knows that it is hearing *something*, but it refuses to register as a B0 as it should.  This is because Ubisoft programmed in a hard cap exactly at B0 -- anything at or lower than that won't register.

That sounds like a game-breaker for a 5-string, or a 4 in BEAD, or anything with a string tuned to B or lower.  And it was for quite a while, until somebody (whoever it was deserves a BIG pat on the back!) figured out that you can work around that hard cap by (ab)using the setting that allows for songs in a tuning off of standard A440.  Ubisoft didn't sanity-check the input there, so it is possible to tell the game that the song is "slightly" flat of A440, at A220.  That results in the game being "slightly" flat to the tune of an entire octave.  Then, a custom is set up with the tuning an octave off.  The two octave shifts cancel each other out, and result in the game thinking that the B0 in your 5-string is actually a B1, which is above the hard cap in the game so it registers fine.  Quite a few customs now make use of this workaround, and in my experience the note detection on the B string is just fine...  Dunno why Ubisoft decided to set the hard cap there that necessitated the weird workaround, but it doesn't really matter because it works OK.

BUT, the problem of a bass arrangement only allowing for 4 strings is still an issue.  If a song only makes use of the BEAD strings on a 5, it can be kept in the bass path and you just ignore the unused G string.  If you want a custom that uses all 5 strings (or 6 on a BEADGC / other tuned 6-string bass) the only way to do it is to use the tuning workaround AND put it into a lead or rhythm guitar arrangement, tuned correctly with the octave shift weirdness of the workaround.  Then to play that, you have to switch paths to lead or rhythm to access it in-game.

So, with those workarounds, you can get songs for a 5 or 6 string bass to work in RS2014.  Kind of clunky and weird to both set up and access, but it does work.

Another downside is getting used to the string color-coding (red = E, yellow = A, blue = D, orange = G), and then having that switch around for customs that are set up for a 5-string (red = B, yellow = E, etc.).  I hope that Ubisoft adds proper support for 5 and 6 string basses (and 7-string guitars) in the next version (or a patch for RS2014, but I think that it quite unlikely), with a different color for B strings in those setups.  Maybe a dark blue or something.  Songs for a 4 could still just show 4 strings with the same colors, but if a song is flagged as requiring a 5-string, go ahead and display the 5th.  OR, allow the player to tick a checkbox saying that they are using a 5-string bass (or 6, or 7 guitar), and the extra strings would show up all the time when playing whether any notes occur on them or not.

I'm sure that if/when Ubi adds official support for these instruments, the interface will be polished appropriately to accommodate them.  But for now, at least we can get them to function using the workarounds.

• Like 2

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

Honestly, I hope they do. I'm buying a 5-string soon and I would like to play some 5-string songs I know on RS.

As for when it will be added? Almost certain not in 2014. It's way too big of a modification to add to the game. However, someone could make a mod somehow and I've actually been contemplating doing it myself. Just no time for anything really. D:

But yeah. I really hope it is added eventually. Same with 7-string guitar support.

NOW OFFERING 1-ON-1 LESSONS ON HOW TO CREATE CDLC.

• Administrator

However, someone could make a mod somehow and I've actually been contemplating doing it myself. Just no time for anything really. D:

It's already available without any modification of the game and you can test it with those songs : http://search.customsforge.com/?q=ii_5stringbass

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

However, someone could make a mod somehow and I've actually been contemplating doing it myself. Just no time for anything really. D:

It's already available without any modification of the game and you can test it with those songs : http://search.customsforge.com/?q=ii_5stringbass
Oh! Thank you! I wasn't aware, lol. :P

NOW OFFERING 1-ON-1 LESSONS ON HOW TO CREATE CDLC.

... And it was for quite a while, until somebody (whoever it was deserves a BIG pat on the back!) figured out that you can work around that hard cap by (ab)using the setting that allows for songs in a tuning off of standard A440.

*ahem* :P

• Like 3

... And it was for quite a while, until somebody (whoever it was deserves a BIG pat on the back!) figured out that you can work around that hard cap by (ab)using the setting that allows for songs in a tuning off of standard A440.

Good to know -- any chance you are a programmer or computer science type?  The elegance and simplicity yet "outside the box" thinking of that workaround strikes me as something that would most likely come from a programmer or symbolic logic type of thinker.  :)

Meant as a complement, I just find that solution very inventive and interesting.

-----------------------------

Milkman Dan

My YouTube channel  (bass playthrough videos)

My Customs Download Folder  (my customs)

Good to know -- any chance you are a programmer or computer science type?  The elegance and simplicity yet "outside the box" thinking of that workaround strikes me as something that would most likely come from a programmer or symbolic logic type of thinker.   :)

Meant as a complement, I just find that solution very inventive and interesting.

I'm not that good with computers but I study physics. I don't know that much of music theory either, I got my first bass just 6 months ago.

It all started when I saw a graph of notes and frequencies. I kinda visualized the note C1 as this "wall of death" behind which Rocksmith doesn't register notes anymore. Then I realized that the pitch is essentially a variable to change the shape of that graph and remembered that there's an option to change the pitch in the toolkit, so I thought it was worth a try.

I made a graph visualizing the workaround:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8gl3l5r01hf0w3/rsf.tif

• Like 2