Leverage the Community to Improve our Suite of Tools?

kring

Question

I was wondering the admins and communities thoughts on using CustomsForge as a way to raise funds to support development of our customs tool suite. The reason I ask; there is an amazing tool that was started but died a few months back that could use some developer attention. Would CF be willing to be a vehicle for and support the raising of funds and identification of developer willing/able to take over the effort and future tool efforts?  

Sort of like a kickstarter type role for CDLC related projects. I personally would be willing to donate additional funding that would go directly to specific causes. Maybe it starts as a simple forum area setup where the community can post ideas, hash out appetite and options and come up with a concept. If it looks like it could get traction allow people to do non-committal funding pledges to see if there's a real willingness to contribute, if it gets enough attention it could then move to sourcing phase where people would have to send actual donations (all no guarantee of course) marked for that project and CF community of developers could offer to take on the work and get paid for it.

I know I make it sound simple and there's probably some legal crap that could bind things up but maybe this could help us progress the toolset.

BTW -  RS Tab Explorer is the tool I'm referring to. I think it's as important as EoF & the Rocksmith Toolkit to this whole customs project. It has massive potential in my opinion.  

Links for reference: 

http://customsforge.com/topic/5420-rocksmith-tab-explorer/?hl=explorer

https://github.com/andulv/RSTabExplorer/releases

Not when it crashes 6/10

Make sure you're using the latest version of the Toolkit.  I've got 350+ customs installed right now, and have downloaded 400+.  I've only had problems converting 2 of them (Zombie by The Cranberries and Glycerine by Bush).

• Administrator

Not when it crashes 6/10

Make sure you're using the latest version of the Toolkit.  I've got 350+ customs installed right now, and have downloaded 400+.  I've only had problems converting 2 of them (Zombie by The Cranberries and Glycerine by Bush).

I'm pretty sure I am but I'll double check. I've tried to convert some customs over and over and they always crash the toolkit

I'm pretty sure I am but I'll double check. I've tried to convert some customs over and over and they always crash the toolkit

Try re-downloading them as well.  Sometimes they get corrupted during the download (the toolkit seems pretty picky).

However, if you find some that continually crash or hang the toolkit, try contacting the charter to see if they will convert it on their end.

Oddly enough, I've had a few customs that the charter has uploaded a Mac version, only to have that version not work in RS.  Downloading their PC version and converting it myself makes it work just fine.

It's odd.  Both the situation, and the toolkit.  

However, I'm in agreeince with you.  I wish there was a fully fleshed out, fully Mac compatible Toolkit.

Weepeel - Zans, can you please take that topic to another thread, it's not relevant to this topic and it's taken a 1/2 page already.

Engleg - that might be a good way to start, maybe we could create a forum area that's dedicated to new capabilities & enhancements requests of the entire suite of tools. I think we need more than just a forum, we probably need more of a "form" to gather and track requests similar to how we have the great CDLC search page and the ability for the community to give a vote of support so they end up getting prioritized by the community. 

Is that something the Site Dev/Admins would be interested in starting?

Also, I'd suggest we try and design the form to abstract the capability/feature from the tool. as an example, rather than say "Give print ability to Tab Explorer" it should be requested as "Provide Print capability of tabs within PSARC files" - the method is up to the developer willing to take it on how best to implement and in which tool.  

Weepeel - Zans, can you please take that topic to another thread, it's not relevant to this topic and it's taken a 1/2 page already.

Engleg - that might be a good way to start, maybe we could create a forum area that's dedicated to new capabilities & enhancements requests of the entire suite of tools. I think we need more than just a forum, we probably need more of a "form" to gather and track requests similar to how we have the great CDLC search page and the ability for the community to give a vote of support so they end up getting prioritized by the community. 

Is that something the Site Dev/Admins would be interested in starting?

Also, I'd suggest we try and design the form to abstract the capability/feature from the tool. as an example, rather than say "Give print ability to Tab Explorer" it should be requested as "Provide Print capability of tabs within PSARC files" - the method is up to the developer willing to take it on how best to implement and in which tool.  

Oh no!  Not half a page...

Don't worry, I'm done with this thread.  Your idea is dead in the water anyway.  It's pretty obvious you've never developed software, and never worked with crowd-sourced funding.  You want something done, but you aren't willing to pay the money or take the risk yourself.  You want to leverage the community to do it for you.  So lead by example, and put up $200 (or whatever the dev wants) yourself to get the Tab Explorer project finished, and you'll see how complicated it will get.  See if you get your money's worth.  And after you've paid $200 for it, and everyone else gets it for free, see how you feel about that.  

As I said earlier, and firekorn echoed, raising money beforehand is a terrible idea.  There's a reason why crowd-source funding based software projects fail 90% of the time.  There's also a reason why only 5 people have bothered to chime in on this thread.  There is no interest.  There are 36,000+ members of this site, and only an average of 250 per day are actually active at one time.   That's less than 1%.  And of that 0.69%, most of those users are charters uploading stuff or users downloading stuff.  Very few of us actually take the time to post in threads and try and help people out.  My point?  That customs are what bring users here, and the already existing tools are more than sufficient for their needs.  Most of them never even use the Toolkit or EoF.

And what Zans and I are talking about is incredibly relevant.  You're not a Mac user, so it doesn't concern you, and you therefore don't care.  But it concerns us, because it sums up my exact issues with your ideas.  There will never be decent Mac support.  Zans issue has to deal with that exact problem.

Ask another professional developer and they'll tell you the same thing I am.  It's smarter to build the app and sell it for cheap afterwards.  I'd rather sell a $2 app to 1000 people than do the same job for peanuts, which is what fundraising will get you.

But I get it, you don't want to hear from anybody who disagrees with you.  

(Oh, and you can't "provide print capability of tabs within PSARC files".  You can't provide print capability within ANY file.  Printing is software based, not file based.)

• Like 3

Calm down please, this is not the place to be offended or offend others.

(Oh, and you can't "provide print capability of tabs within PSARC files".  You can't provide print capability within ANY file.  Printing is software based, not file based.)

If you read that line like

"Provide print capability of tabs which are included in PSARC files"

the sentence makes perfectly sense.

But to get back to topic:

Even though I support the initial idea, I must admit that the total feedback / number of supporters of the idea does not really seem sufficient at the moment.

Nevertheless we can collect ideas for additional feature of Rocksmith-related software. If we end up with a reasonable amount of things on the list, we can start thinking about how to integrate it into this site in a more functional way (maybe the revamped song request system will give us some ideas as well :-))

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.