Tech Notes Tutorial ... Authoring Complex Bends and more

Berneer

When I saved the project, it looked like the arpeggio was saved right. Make sure you're using the Rocksmith 2 format XML file though (file name includes "_RS2"), because the Rocksmith 1 format XML file will have the arpeggio as a normal chord, since Rocksmith 1 didn't support arpeggios.

Thanks for taking the time to look, Raynebc.  As noted in my edit (above the post) I found that save seperate RS2 file wasn't checked in my preferences.  Oddly, I had been using the Part_Real_Guitar_22_RS2.XML file all along, so I don't know how that file was even being generated by default.  I backed up all of my "part" files and then re-saved the EOF and the new XML file works like a charm.  It was quite perplexing.

Sometimes I use big words that I don't completely understand, just to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

• 1 month later...

After reading the tutorial several times I think I got my head around it, excellent tutorial. I Posted my question in the Eof thread and it was suggested I check this tutorial out which I did, but I don't think that the tutorial answers it.

I hope I'm not sounding dumb but bends, prebends and their many variations raise the pitch of the note by 1/4,1/2 ,1 etc. why I want to do is to actually bring the pitch of the note down to, -2 or -21/2 on the low E string which wl bring the E note down to C then back to the E.The song is Jailbreak by AC/DC and Angus Young does it by detuning the E string with the Tuning peg. You could use the tremolo bar to do this and I would like to put a negative number in to reflect this dropping E note but I don't think I can. I hope this makes sense and I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks

• Administrator

A tremolo in music doesn't correspond to the "tremolo bar" name give to what is in fact a whammy bar if you want to name it correctly...

The tremolo indication in EOF doesn't correspond in anyway to what actually do a tremolo bar on your guitar!

And RS doesn't handle negative bend or any kind of effect lowering the pitch of the note but it does handle tremolo as in music notation which is simply the fact that you have to pick the note multiple times during the whole sustain.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I think the closest you can get is authoring a pre-bend. Basically you're authoring the dipped note, and then placing a tech note at the very beginning of the note to define that the note is bent however many half/quarter steps at the beginning, and then placing a tech note of the same at the point where the dip starts, another tech note at the bottom of the dip (with a bend value of 0, which represents a return to an unbent note, ie. the pitch of the regular note is now sounded), and then more tech notes to define where the tremolo bar is released (by defining the bend value again). For example:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/raynebc/Simulatedtremolobar_zps2e2d9a53.jpg

The note equivalent to fret 12 on the D string is played (fret 10 bent two half steps) for a beat, and then the note dips down (fret 10 bent 0 half steps) and back up centered over the second beat.

Thanks firekorn.Yes I did read up on the tremolo as opposed to the whammy bar I though tremolo in Eof meant the whammy bar, my bad.

Thanks raynebc I'll try what you suggest and test it out and see what happens if it doesn't sound right then I'll just write it out on the notes .

Thanks for both your help

Cris

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's just me having this issue, but there seems to be an issue with arpeggios caused by tech notes. So basically I noticed that if I create an arpeggio technique, then later in the song use a tech note to create a complex bend (not within the arpeggio). When I go back to the arpeggio, the technique is removed but the ghost notes are still there. This isn't a big issue because I can simply replace the technique then save, but I felt it would be best to post here. Is this just happening to me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It is a good example I can add in the community examples section, or even in the upcoming Chordify tutorial which will be a sequel of sorts to the Tech Note tutorial since Chordify makes heavy use of Tech Notes. If you search in the EOF setion in general and EoF hotfix subsection for the word "Chordify" you will see what it is about.

I had to pause work on the Chordify tutorial from July 2016 to February 2017 but will resume soon. After making the Chordify tutorial I will make a minor update to the Tech Notes tutorial, with a few changes made over the years as well as removing the large section that currently explains the inability to author what Chordify now could since April-May 2016.

Sorry for the slow progress, I am sorta starved of free time. Only way I can eek an hour of "me time" is to wake up at 5am every weekday and work this labour-of-love before heading off to work. :) It works except for the days when the wife says, "What about me, I want your free time too?" ... :)

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

Check out the Tech Notes Tutorial Version 1.1 // Chordify Tutorial Rough Draft.

• Administrator

@ you don't need any tech note to do that though and your screenshot indicate that there's a wrongly placed linknext status (the notehead of the 10D isn't appearing).

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

@ you don't need any tech note to do that though and your screenshot indicate that there's a wrongly placed linknext status (the notehead of the 10D isn't appearing).

You are correct. But I'll still put an example in the Chordify tutorial where a 1 string of a chord sustains without technique and then Tech Notes are needed on the other string(s) to make that string behave differently than the no-technique string(s).

"A dreamer is someone who wants beyond what is reasonable. A hero is a dreamer who cannot take no for an answer." (Martin Spina)

My Released CDLC - Blaze Bayley - Stare at the Sun & MacGyver Theme Song & Iron Maiden - No More Lies

• 5 months later...

I can't see anything cuz freaking "photobucket.com/p500"

Hmm never encountered that. I'll see as soon as I can how I can fix that but please bear in mind that I'm quite tied up lately and it may take some time. In the meantime time the top of the post contains a PDF version of the tutorial.

Cheers and thanks for trying to chart fun solos :)

Holy crap, Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party hosting (putting photobucket links on this web site) with the free Photobucket membership. When I tried to upgrade the upgrade costs $399. Are they insane???

I will need time to migrate everything. Any suggestions anybody for a more enlightened, stable and more permanent place for hosting the pics in this tutorial?

• 1 month later...

I tried doing pre-bends (just two tech notes) by placing a half step bend note of 1 on the sustain of the note where the bend begins and a 0 where it releases, but in Rocksmith it starts the bend right at the beginning of the note which then bends more and more until it releases where I placed the 0. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

• 6 months later...

OK, I caved in. It breaks my heart for you guys not to have access to this necessary information in the OP and throughout Customsforge. Darn photobucket.com charges U$100 per year to allow what they call 3rd party hosting, for example, posting here links to pictures I host with them.

Now my thousands of pictures posted here will work again after almost 1 year not working.

I figure moving forward it'll be my way of donating to this site by ensuring this site stays relevant and helpful.

Cheers!

Now if only I could find the time to make the sequel tutorial to this tutorial: "The Chordify tutorial", but my real life commitments are making a mess of my leisure time. I'll watch from the fence for a long while, hoping you guys and this site thrives long after my return.

• Like 2