USB Audio Interfaces

Dugg Funnie

Question

Hey everybody!  I searched around a bit and couldn't find anything here addressing the question so I'm asking now:

Is there any way to use a usb audio interface instead of, the RealTone cable? I'm currently playing RS 2014 through my macbook pro, but I want to start using customs too and since most of them are PC (and I have a pc with nice studio monitors and a focusrite 2i2 interface), I'd much rather get my setup going through my computer than laptop; but the realtone cable is too short to reach my usb slots and haven't seemed to be able to get my in-board soundcard to function properly anyways.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

24 answers to this question

You can convert 99% of the customs to Mac versions with no problems whatsoever.  I'm a Mac user (Macbook Retina and Mac Mini), and I've only ever had problems with 2 customs not converting properly (Zombie by The Cranberries, and Glycerine by Bush).

However, usually if you ask the charter they will convert the file on their end and post a Mac version.  Several charters include Mac versions whenever they upload customs right from the start.

If you really want to use your PC you can also just buy a cable extender.  When I play on my Mac Mini on the big tv my realtone cable isn't long enough either, so I just use an extender.  It's essentially just a regular 1/4" mono cable with an input on one end, and an output on the other.  The extender plugs into my guitar, and the realtone into the extender.  As long as you buy a quality cable, there is no signal degradation or any kind of delay.

I use a Behringer UCG102 Guitar link, works like a charm with Rocksmith No cable, Guitar rig, Amplitude3, Ableton ect.

It has a 1 and a half metre cable, Direct guitar input, earphone socket, volume.

I also use a 5 metre guitar cable in and take the earphone out to the mixer, I can not recommend this product enough, works on Mac, PC and is recognized as a soundcard by windows, it has a nice big beefy clear sound.

It's worth your time checking it out, you will find one on ebay for about £30.

I use a Behringer UCG102 Guitar link, works like a charm with Rocksmith No cable, Guitar rig, Amplitude3, Ableton ect.

It has a 1 and a half metre cable, Direct guitar input, earphone socket, volume.

I also use a 5 metre guitar cable in and take the earphone out to the mixer, I can not recommend this product enough, works on Mac, PC and is recognized as a soundcard by windows, it has a nice big beefy clear sound.

It's worth your time checking it out, you will find one on ebay for about £30.

I wouldn't recommend it.  For one, it's ugly, big, and heavy for what it does.  I wouldn't want to be dragging that around attached to my guitar.

Secondly, it's about $60 Canadian (+/- $63 US), which is pretty expensive.  It also gets pretty horrible reviews.  It causes a lot of latency problems, and PC driver support isn't very good.

On top of that, you still need a standard patch cable anyway... So why not just spend $15 on a cable extender?

@Weepeel you don't drag it around, you blue-tack it down and plug a 5 or 10 metre mono guitar cable into it, I've not tried a wireless link yet, and it's about the size of a 10 cigarette packet.

If he's using it to extend the cable to reach his PC, what's the point of tacking it down somewhere?  Is he going to tack it to the floor?  Or tack it to his desk, which would negate the need for the UCG102?

Yes, it's a working solution.  But it's overkill for what the OP wants.

I use with DAW's no latency, It's all in tweaking you ASIO settings, I use ASIO4ALL and it's rock solid.

And that's great for you.  But not everybody wants to fiddle around with drivers and settings to get something simple to work.  Especially after spending $60 for the adapter, and another $15 for a cable.

And no, the UCG102 is not a first class solution.  There's a reason why it barely sells and gets an average 3.5 star review.  Most music shops don't even carry it.

Mate I don't want to get into some sort of war with you, I'm trying to give constructive advice but you keep trying to shoot me down.

Do some research on it. I have spent a lot of time on computers and building computer music systems so maybe I fly a little high without realizing, but at the end of the day I would give my advice to him on how to set it up, or anyone else for that matter.

It's just not a game to me, happy days.

• Like 1

Mate I don't want to get into some sort of war with you, I'm trying to give constructive advice but you keep trying to shoot me down.

Do some research on it. I have spent a lot of time on computers and building computer music systems so maybe I fly a little high without realizing, but at the end of the day I would give my advice to him on how to set it up, or anyone else for that matter.

It's just not a game to me, happy days.

My advice is just as constructive.  You're the one who seemed to want to argue.  If it seemed like I was arguing, I apologize.  My point was, for the $75 he would end up spending on your solution, there are a lot of better and more elegant solutions out there.

And I have done some research.  The reason why I said I wouldn't recommend it is because I've owned a UCG102.  It was crap, and not worth the hassle.  My iRig HD beats it every day.  Not only does it connect to my Mac/PC, but it also connects to my iPhone and my iPad.  And my PS3.  And it was built specifically to work with Amplitube and Guitar Rig.

But I was recommending a cheap alternative, instead of an $80+ one.  Hence the extension cable.

Anyway, in the end, the OP can go whatever route they choose.

I think this thread has been de-railed a bit.

I already have a USB audio interface and standard patch cables, loads of 'em. My issue is that I can't run Rocksmith 2014 through it and I HAVE to use the RealTone Cable and was wondering about other solutions. the cable isn't long enough to reach the computer while I'm at my chair and able to see the screen, so I've been forced to use my macbook pro, which has a much lower number of available CDLC and I'd like to open my options and use my USB interface and my nice pc  to run RS, if there's no solution I can just use my laptop, no big deal. But I really want to use my pc, and my audio interface and all that.

a.peter I'll check your post out as it's the only one that seems actually relevant to the thread. lol

LOL... Sorry I tried to help.  Not sure how my suggestion of using the realtone cable with a standard 1/4" extender isn't a relevant solution, since it works perfectly fine....

But hey, I'll just stay out of it...  Good luck to you.

Some examples:

http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-52-extension-guitar-cable.aspx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6-35MM-6-3MM-GUITAR-EXTENSION-CABLE/dp/B0058NCHXW

http://www.amazon.co.uk/6-35mm-Inch-Mono-Socket-Coupler/dp/B0039ZGUHK/ref=pd_cp_MI_0/280-8623867-0759940

Do you have exclusive mode turned on for both your audio devices? Also are you running rocksmith full screen? Lastly do you have any other audio software running?

Better to get the program running with the RS cable before thinking of patching it to work without.

• Administrator

An extension for the cable either on the USB (with a HUB for exemple) or in the Jack part should not modify the way the cable act, if RS tells you that there is a problem with the output device, you might want to check the audio parameter in the .ini RS file.

Set the audio exclusivity on unless you want to record yourself.

RS doesn't act correctly with non-onboard audio card, try using RS with the onboard card of your PC.

Apart from this maybe try checking RS file with steam because having those issue isn't normal, this message should only pop-up when RS isn't the active software.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

Because I  still get the "no output device detected" and that's if I have my output set to my usb interface, OR my onboard Realktek soundcard.

Is your PC version of Rocksmith legit?  Because the "no output device" is usually only a problem with pirated versions (which we aren't allowed to discuss here).

If it is legit, check your settings for your input devices.  If you have more than one, Rocksmith may be trying to use one that isn't active or plugged in.  For instance, it could be looking for the guitar input on your soundcard instead of the usb.

To help more would need play around with your setup. If I had your kit I would keep playing on the mac, convert cdlc ysing the tool kit and route the output from your mac to the pc.

Usb sound systems can be a pain (I blame ms for changes to the audio system that have cripeled many sound cards).

I was getting the no output detected message using my laptop and found out that the USB port was not powerful enough.  I only have one USB port so I couldnt try a different one. I bought a powered USB port and it fixed my problem.  You plug in the USB port and then plug in the realtone cable into the powered USB port.