Tutorial for proper GP tab sync, section/phrase authoring and more

shrubbery

I download tuxguitar 1.3 snapshot ver per the Shrubbery link to convert my gpx to gp5 to be able to upload my .xml to EOF but I'm getting error when launching with JVM. I've updated java so I'm not sure what else to do.  Any advice?

With tuxguitar you can save the tab you got to GP5. And then use that tab on GPA

9A7alLl.jpg

I download new version of tuxguitar and it runs fine but don't see a conversion for gpx files.  Found out you can convert this in GP6 which I have so I'm good. Thanks anyway.

Load the GPX file, then put "Save As" and you can see that you can convert the GPX to GP5, GP4, GP3 and more 

9A7alLl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the right Bpm can be a nightmare. 

While working on Lay Down, Priestess, the Bpm from the mp3 was 122.

The Guitar Pro tab was 120, but the first beat started in 3/4 at 184 to the end which was not imported in EOF.

Manually, I found the perfect Bpm at 183 for EOF. 

This was still easy, compared to other songs, but I never can see the math logic in this.

I experienced Goplayalong with Hurry Sundown, Outlaws,

I linked the first note and the last, then some between, then auto-sync added another 20 links

Exported and imported xml in EOF. Ten minutes work, and no trouble with illogical maths.

When the Tab is good (lenght equal to the mp3), Goplayalong is best choice.

Every beat in EOF is anchored though, I hope this doesn't have negative issues. 

So I'm kind of stuck here. Wanted to import my gp5 file into EOF, but the first 2 Notes are missing. I can't seem to find an error within the tab, since there are just plain 8ths for the bass part. Is there an option to add a beat in the beginning of the chart? Can't seem to find one. 

P.S.: yay, new user :)

If a note isn't importing from the GP file, it's usually something like it's on one of the alternate voices (ie. not the lead "voice" in Guitar Pro) or it's a ghost note or something that isn't expected to import. You can add a beat to the currently selected beat's location in EOF using the Beat>add function, but only if you have anchored (ie selected and pressed the A key) one of the beats that is further into the chart. Then you could author the missing notes manually.

• 5 months later...

Help please! When I try to import the xml file into EOF, EOF just crahses... Some time before whe I tried to import I got an malformed xml error - that was because the filename of the gp file in the xml was not correct(I think)... i changed that but now it just crashed.... Everything was fine a few days ago... I don't know what to do when I try to import just the gp-file it crashes too.

(PS:For some reason EOF always tells me that there are more than 6 strings used,,, why is that? - normally i just click on thickest and i am fine - bu now: crash)

If you can send me the GP file I'll look into it. The prompt about more than 6 strings is usually because the drum track is encoded in the file as having 8 strings. I'll eventually improve that warning to only show up if the user tries to actually import a track having more than 6 strings.

• 2 months later...

Hello again!

One question: If I don't replace any repeats will it get imported incorrectly? Because in GPA it seems fine... did you have any issues with that? And what was the problem with gp3? Because right now I am workign with a gp3... should I just save it as gp5?

Hello again!

One question: If I don't replace any repeats will it get imported incorrectly? Because in GPA it seems fine... did you have any issues with that? And what was the problem with gp3? Because right now I am workign with a gp3... should I just save it as gp5?

Well, you'll see if it imports correctly, mostly it should work. Unwinding repeats is useful also for phrase/section markers and because real songs tend to do variations. Fixing multiple identical sections by copy-pasting is also easy so there's no huge reason to keep them.

I really don't remeber, it might even be corrupting EOF or maybe that was another bug. Anyway it's better to resave as GP4/GP5 to avoid issues.

• Like 1

Hello again!

Well, you'll see if it imports correctly, mostly it should work. Unwinding repeats is useful also for phrase/section markers and because real songs tend to do variations. Fixing multiple identical sections by copy-pasting is also easy so there's no huge reason to keep them.

I really don't remeber, it might even be corrupting EOF or maybe that was another bug. Anyway it's better to resave as GP4/GP5 to avoid issues.

ok - thanks!  yeah i normally would copy-paste the sections but I somehow just looked at the gp-file in GPA and there the repeats were not visible... so I started syncing and realized later that there were those repeats in the file.

Well - I will see...

Hello again!

ok - thanks!  yeah i normally would copy-paste the sections but I somehow just looked at the gp-file in GPA and there the repeats were not visible... so I started syncing and realized later that there were those repeats in the file.

Well - I will see...

Repeats are not a problem for GPA, it always unwinds them internally and you can replace them any time.

• 1 year later...

I just tried GPA for the first time and it worked fine for a short simple song, but when I loaded a 8 minute song with a complex GP5. All went fine until it got stuck half way through syncing and kept returning to the first bar. I managed to export the xml but EoF gave an error on import and ditched. "Error parsing sync point 0." Rather disappointing. Has anyone else run into this? Maybe GPA is limited on file size or length. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I rebooted and tried over a few times. No luck.

Unaccredited Charter

Update: Thanks to @@raynebc's testing, I discovered the issue was with my gp5 which worked on GP5 my machine, but not his. So I did a hasty fix getting rid of grace notes, triplets and dots off a lot of the 32nd notes and suddenly it synced in GPA. So thanks to Raynebc, the project is back on track.

Also GPA is worth the $20.00 after all. I judged it harshly when the issue lay elsewhere. (I think it was the dotted notes.)

Unaccredited Charter

• 1 year later...