A few hangups

mansonr6

Question

I'm fairly new to the custom world of Rocksmith and just have a couple of questions. First I want to say thank you to everyone that takes the time to make these tracks as it seems like a ton of work. I've picked up so many new songs here and I'm totally grateful. 

Ok, I haven't really had a hard time as I made sure to read a good amount before I even started. Below are just a couple of issues I've noticed and I want to see if there something I can do to fix or if it is something to just deal with. 

- Song Vanish: I'll add a track, I see the art and can play the song just fine. I'll start up another session and the song is gone as if it were never there, though it tends to reappear so often. 

- Some songs freeze the toolkit when I try to convert it, it happens every time I try

- I'll start a song, go through tuning and the game freezes and has to be force closed. 

- Songs convert fine, get moved and just never show up 

Overall I've got a great library so far and will look to contribute as soon as I learn more about that process. Thanks ahead of time!

5 answers to this question

Not all of the customs have been prepared properly. I think this has mostly to do with some of the earlier customs made using earlier versions of the toolkit (and maybe EOF). Some customs don't have any tones assigned, which definitely locks up the game.

A number of people are having issues with losing their saved game data or getting file corruption issues -- this seems to happen to people who keep all (hundreds) of their customs in the DLC folder. It's possible that Rocksmith has a limit on the number of customs it can handle. But it's also possible that a corrupted CDLC can bring down the whole stack. (Personally, I keep a separate folder for my CDLCs and only add them in when I plan to play them.)

I'm not sure what you mean by converting songs -- unless you're on a Mac? Sometimes it's necessary to repack a custom a couple/few times until it works properly. Maybe this is also true for converting psarcs to Mac format.

The toolkit and EOF are both still works in progress. Pretty awesome tools though.

Thanks for the response. I am on a Mac so I have to end up converting them from the pc version if Mac isn't available. I'll have to try the repacking first a few times and see if that does anything.

I have a few of the same problems as you... 

The toolkit hangs when trying to convert some of the customs from PC -> Mac.  Zombie is one example I can think of off the top of my head.  There are a few others, but not that many.  Repacking doesn't always work either, as I get a lot of errors that pop up or the Toolkit just hangs.

And I also have the problem where a custom song will disappear from the song list inside Rocksmith every once in a while.  Usually backing out all the way to the initial load screen (where it says "Press Start") will make them reappear as it forces the game to refresh the list.  It will keep your progress, so it seems to be just a matter of the game not properly creating the list of songs.  "I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett and "Your Touch" by The Black Keys seem to have it happen the most often for me.  But sometimes it's just random.

As far as making customs on Mac, MVega is correct.... EoF and the toolkit are still works in progress and don't work very well on Mac (at least for me) yet.  I've been struggling to create customs for about 3 weeks now and haven't successfully made one yet.  I have a lot of problems getting the music to sync with the tab, creating the preview file (there is a Mac version of that software now, but I think it's still beta), and a ton of problems trying to pack the file in the toolkit.  A lot of errors come up, but most of them are hard to read because of the way they are crammed into the pop-up window.  Some of them don't even show any text.  It's just a blank window.

So hopefully you have some better luck than me...

Two things Mac users can try : 1. Ask the original charter to post a MAC version. I'm sure most people will have no problem doing that, since it only takes a minute.

2. Try unpacking the psarc and then repacking it using the files in that. If the problem comes from the Toolkit's converter (and not the original project), that should work, right?

@@Wepeel : raynebc (who's developing EOF) is really helpful, so if you're having trouble, he might be able to help.

FWIW: You don't sync the music to the tab in EOF. You sync the BEAT MARKERS to the music. For that you need to display the audio waveform and move the beat markers to match the beat. (There are tutorials for this, it's not difficult, it just takes time). Once you've done that, then the tab will sync to the beat markers.

Use EOF to create the preview file -- it just generates a .wav file. Just click on the beat marker where you want the preview to being, EOF will automatically make a 30 second clip.

I agree with the Toolkit's error dialogues... ugh.

Two things Mac users can try : 1. Ask the original charter to post a MAC version. I'm sure most people will have no problem doing that, since it only takes a minute.

2. Try unpacking the psarc and then repacking it using the files in that. If the problem comes from the Toolkit's converter (and not the original project), that should work, right?

@@Wepeel : raynebc (who's developing EOF) is really helpful, so if you're having trouble, he might be able to help.

FWIW: You don't sync the music to the tab in EOF. You sync the BEAT MARKERS to the music. For that you need to display the audio waveform and move the beat markers to match the beat. (There are tutorials for this, it's not difficult, it just takes time). Once you've done that, then the tab will sync to the beat markers.

Use EOF to create the preview file -- it just generates a .wav file. Just click on the beat marker where you want the preview to being, EOF will automatically make a 30 second clip.

I agree with the Toolkit's error dialogues... ugh.

Sorry, I know I didn't really explain myself fully....  I know to sync the beat markers, and how to do it.  The problem becomes sometimes, after saving and coming back later, everything that I synced is off-sync again.  If I do it all in one shot then it seems to be fine.

I've also tried to have EoF create the preview file, but it always hangs.  Gotta love Mac and the spinning wheel of death...

Thanks for the advice though.  I appreciate you trying to help, and I'll see about hitting up raynebc for some more help.