Where Are We All From? Who Are We? What Brings Us To Rs?

Nitemares

I'm Daniel and I live in the white north known as Canada. I am 18 years old.

Here is how my journey into music began. As I recall, when I was 5 I started to appreciate music, I think the first bands I actually knew the names of were Blink-182, System of a Down, and Linkin Park (They were introduced to me by my older brother). As I got older I started learning lyrics to my favourite songs and I also learned the difference between a Guitar and a Bass.

I think when I was 9 or 10 I discovered the band "Children of Bodom" I couldn't believe how heavy it was but still melodically beautiful. From then on I slowly got more and more into listening to Metal. It was also Children of Bodom who got me into Keyboard. I took keyboard lessons for 3 years, and once I realized that I'll never be as good as Janne Wirman, I quit my lessons.

Many years later the video game "Rockband" came out, I played that game day and night. I eventually was able to play on expert and get 95%+ on every song in the game for Drums. So then I begged my Parents to buy me a drum set, which I still play everyday.

When I was in Grade 11 I decided to create a band, I'm the Drummer. We are currently recording our first album, and it is taking way longer than I thought.

In January I decided to get Rocksmith 2014, I never played guitar so I was curious about how good of a teacher it is, and I must say that I am impressed. I then found this website and was so amazed how easy it was to get custom song, I decided to make my own customs after that. 

• 4 weeks later...

Born - Stirling Scotland.

Grew up - Gosford NSW Australia

Currently living - Bogota Colombia

I wanted to learn guitar for ages, but had some of "those" mates in high school, that are just absolute musical maestros. They could pick up any instrument and given 5 minutes, be taking requests (flute, violin, guitar, saxophone - I'm not kidding). That was rather demoralising in school, so I stuck to piano then.

Fast forward to my 32nd birthday. I now work from home and have adequate free time for learning the guitar. WIfey saw me checking out some Rocksmith videos on YouTube, asked why I never learnt to play a guitar - 5 minute conversation which results in her saying, "Well, I know what your birthday present is this year".

• Like 1

Hey all. My name is Eric, and I'm a programmer living in San Francisco.

I bought a guitar 2 years ago, inspired by Jari Mäenpää of Ensiferum and Wintersun fame, but didn't pick it up until 2 weeks ago when I found and bought Rocksmith on a whim. I'm practicing a half hour to an hour every day now and hope to be able to play some sweet metal riffs eventually.

Check my last.fm and let me know if we have any favorite artists in common http://www.last.fm/user/zeeky

Cheers

o/

I'm Al, a grand old 33 years old, and I live just outside Glasgow, Scotland. I don't really do anything much - I've been ill with one thing or another since my 3rd year at university, and despite several attempts to move on with education(microbiology is interesting to study, but most jobs in the field are boring as hell), I've ended up having to drop out.

Anyway, music related stuff. The first CDs I bought were Appetite For Destruction and Ride The Lightning(was kind of filling in holes in my brother's collection, because I 'borrowed' his stuff a lot). A few years later, at around 15 years old, I went to my first gig - White Zombie at the Barrowlands. At 18, I bought my first guitar, only partially motivated by the thought that telling girls I played might get me some(spoilers - it didn't). Joined a 'band' a couple of years later, but we were not good(I think the other guitar player and the drummer were both trying to get fired into the bass player). Joined another band a couple of years later, playing bass this time - only 4 strings, so it must be easier, right? - which went better.

I say 'better', we weren't great, but it was fun, and noone threw stuff at us at gigs, so I count that as a win.

Anyway, while my first guitar was consigned to the dump a few years ago(dropped while stripping the paint to refinish, and buggered the neck), I've been steadily building the collection, so here's a pic(damn you, new mobile phone camera, showing up my need to stop vacuuming around them).

http://i61.tinypic.com/1zlr5vb.jpg

(And yes, those are boxer shorts. The Gibsons have a nitro finish that would react with the rubber of the stand, so that's why those are there. And they were off the clean pile, so no skid marks.)

I'm Bam (not my real name but only blood relatives call me by my real name anyway.) TBH, I'm quite used to being called "Dark" or "DarkAngel" textually as well as it has been used in some way for the 10 years in my web handles as well.

I'm 29, born and raised just north of and some of my life in, Detroit, Michigan.

I been into electronics (circuitry) for most my life but all those jobs seem to go to the Chinese or Koreans now (no offense.)

I picked up web programming over 10 years ago as a hobby and worked as a freelancer developing for a couple years before I determined the effort wasn't worth the pay.

I've never bought a manufactured computer in my life. Since age 12 I have been either frankensteining computers or commissioning my own builds.

I always said if they make it a video game I can learn it. Rocksmith seems to challenge me on that claim, although I will admit I have learned a lot, as well as some bad guitar habits I'm sure. I alway had the desire to learn an instrument but never really had the motivation. I picked up RS when it originally was released for PC and it has successfully achieved both teaching me and motivating me.

Also, I'm into rock and metal so it's nice to be able to play along to the songs I love :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all, and it is nice to see us all here.  I have been spreading the word of Rocksmith and Customs Forge far and wide downunder.  I have also been a little busy myself.  I have now possession of 10 guitars....having built three bass guitars myself in that lot.  Some were cheap, some I fixed, some I made....but love them all.  One day a big Gibson or Fender will grace my house.  But until then I can dream and follow along to Rocksmith.

:)

Greg

Hello all,  My name's Adam, I'm 35 (i think?...yeah...35) and I live in the hell hole that is south east Missouri.   I've wanted a guitar since I was about 15 (parents laughed me out of the room when I asked for one), but didn't get my first until my 30th birthday...from those same parents.  I have no idea why i didn't go out and buy myself one as soon as I had my own income.  

Dinked around with the guitar trying to learn from tabs over at ultimate guitar for a few months but I just wasn't having much fun with it and gave up pretty quick.  Bought Rocksmith on PS3 and it did light a fire under me for a little while.  Struggling with chords and barring frets and getting frustrated with my hands just not doing what I wanted them to do I stopped playing again.  There was still an itch to learn to play and i wondered if maybe bass could be a better fit.  March of this year I dropped into one of the local pawn shops and grabbed an Aria igb-40 (pretty sure, can't find a model number on it anywhere) for $100 and I've probably played it more in the few months since buying it than I played the guitar in the 5 years I've had it.

As far as finding customsforge...I'd been learning with Rocksmith on PS3 but the audio lag was killing me.   Then one day RS 2014 for PC went on sale for 15 bucks,  no way I could pass that up.   After having the game for a few days I wondered if there were user-made tracks for the game so I googled and there you where, so here I am.    

Thanks for being here!

• Like 2

I'm Shannon, from Toronto. 

I'm hear because my wife is awesome.  Last year, I bought her a leather jacket for her birthday and on our way home we got caught in a brutal rain storm.  We were across the road from a music store and so we went in.  I had been going on for about a year about how much I wanted to play again.  I fully intended to just tool around for a bit, but we ended up with a Squier P-Bass starter kit.  I started playing around with some tab books, online tabs and a resource I haven't heard anyone here mention, songsterr.  It's a great tool - I highly recommend it. 

Anyway, I got bored a bit, so I demoed RS.  Liked it and bought it and 14 when steam had the fall sale.  Found smithy's, was digging the customs, but then I don't know what happened but there was some real negativity going on.  I left the site around the time, CF was announced and focused on Bandfuse, which sadly died, but was great in it's own way.  (Not trying to start a flame war, but I do prefer the tones in BF). 

I just came back to RS about 2 weeks ago and decided to check the customs out again.  So here I am.  My goal is to get up at a local bar's open jam and play 2 or 3 songs in the next few weeks. 

• 4 weeks later...

HI all,

OK well I will bump up the Aussie quotient. I was initially born in Oldham, near Manchester, UK (Hi James!) but moved to New South Wales - Australia back in 99, after a 10 year stint in London during my 20s when I worked at London Heathrow airport.

I recalled buying an electric in my 20s from a catalogue and kind of struggled to even tune the thing. Back then, in the 90s the Internet was not awash with tutorials etc so I ended up taking it to a music store where the counter clerk probably ripped me off by telling me the guitar was so crap it would probably never tune and then took it "off my hands" for a couple of tenners.

Fast forward to a few years back, living in Sydney, Australia, and finishing my Masters degree at the age of 43. I kinda like keeping myself learning something new but was over studying and wanted to do something fun. So my wife surprised me with a "well done for getting through 5 years of study" present and got me a Squier entry level Strat and a copy of RS1. 

I loved it, but after a while started to plateau, and became a little disconsolate about the fact my fat short fingers seemed totally unable to manage many of the chords being thrown at me. Barre chords seemed to require an extra joint in my fingers, and even power chords were painful to reach. Then I noted how I liked mostly playing my top strings and for a change, hit the bass emulation and was hooked. Shortly after I sold my Squier and got a Jaguar Bass and find that although I still have plenty of learning to do, I can actually play many basslines - and it is exhilirating. Many a time I have a few stressful work days, I can pick up my bass and bash out a Pearl Jam song or similar on RS2014 and pretty soon, I am grinning and revisiting that feeling I had when I was in my 20s, living it up wild and responsibility-free.

(As an aside, I was recently chastised by an old feller who said my 'short fingers' excuse was just that - an excuse and others have persevered despite similar - and worse - difficulties. I thought about it and am considering having another go, when I can afford a cheap 6 string. You US guys get guitars waaayy cheaper than we do in AUS! :) )

Anyway, back to my tale. I introduced a work colleague to RS2014 (and CustomsForge) and he is learning a 6 string Epiphone. So we occasionally hook up and play a multiplayer and it is the closest I ever came to that dream of being in a band (I so miss that event feature from RS1). I also have been getting my 7 year old daughter into playing the arcade games on my bass and we may well be putting her in for guitar lessons next year ( so no doubt she'll be shaming me with crazy riffs in a few years time!).

And maybe.....maybe....one day I will get on a stage and play some numbers with a few friends. We'll see. Until then, I will keep playing for fun, and I am trying to learn how to make customs so I can start contributing to the great work on here.....

All the best guys,

David

Im shawn. Im 33 years old and from columbus ohio. I have played guitar off and on (mostly off?) for 17 years. My hand began to get carpel tunnel like symptoms after too much use so I kinda quit playing a lot at 17. Went back off and on but things like my guitar being damaged or  my hand pain or just life in general or even boredom with my progression would get in the way. It was really hard for me to learn guitar because I like complicated/talented music and it really takes an expert to play what I like or even the classical pieces I tried to train myself with. Playing music slower than its meant to be played just doesnt sound right.  I switched to drums eventually cause rockband came out and all bands seemed to be missing a drummer but my hip and knee hasnt been the same after a few years of smashing a drumset for hours a day so im more focused on guitar now. People always told me I was good and I didnt believe it. After playing a handful of times on rocksmith I actually think I am good this time.  I think I found rocksmith customs on reddit just recently. Its got a handful of music I actually know and like so I dont even play the rocksmith official songs anymore.  Its really nice for me to have a learning tool that helps so much with complicated music. Im also an avid gamer so this is right up my alley. Ive had  ton of people ask me to play with their bands; but most them fell thru (no drummers anywhere apparently) or recently I declined since I was focusing on *learning* drums still (again that huge multi year long learning curve to play what I like). Normal people often think im in a band cause how I look so I guess I should try again sometime soon with my new skills.

Keep up the good custom work!

• Like 1

I just came back to RS about 2 weeks ago and decided to check the customs out again.  So here I am.  My goal is to get up at a local bar's open jam and play 2 or 3 songs in the next few weeks. 

Hey Shannon, that wouldn't be at Grossman's would it?  It's a blues bar on Spadina, near College.  If that place is still open, it's a dive, but the music was great.  A very inspirational friend of mine would play there on their open mic nights when we were in high-school.  Ahhh...  Good times, good times...   :D

As you might have guessed (or looked at my tag), I am also from Toronto.  I play bass, and barely enough guitar to make a tone for a custom.   ;)   I've been playing bass since RS came out for PC, but I only found CF about half a year ago.  And it changed my world.  Now, I chart and play RS a LOT.

I have been playing PC games ever since my Dad brought home an IBM PC Jr. back in the 80's, but my main other passion is Dungeons & Dragons, which I guess you could say, I make customs for too - I write adventures for my friends and I to play.  I studied fine arts in college, but never went professional.  Rocksmith customs and D&D offer me great creative outlets, and I'm happy to share them with you all.  I hope you enjoy my cdlc's.

• Like 1

Keep smiling. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

See my Workshop here.

Hi All,

I'm Anssi, 29, from Porvoo, Finland. I played piano around 2 years as a kid. I also played trumpet for 3 years but quit when I was 12 or so. I wish I hadn't. Learnt pretty much music theory and all back then, but managed to forget most of it.

As a teenager I heard a Korn song on the radio, and was instantly hooked on low tuned guitar riffs. I started to listen to Linkin Park, Soilwork, In Flames, Nicole, and other similar bands. I thought a long time about buying a guitar, but never did quite do it. In last December I borrewed a acoustic guitar and started to practice with it. I Learnt quite a lot of chords and basic theory, by reading a guitar book. But pretty soon I started to want to try out electric guitar and ended up borrowing my brothers old guitar, bought Rocksmith 2014 and started to play real songs. Pretty soon managed to find this place and now I visit this place daily. I've started doing a few CDLCs, and maybe they will be finished sometime soon.

I've also played records as a DJ for 10 years as a hobby (mainly house, drum'n'bass and techno). Regarding what I do for a living: Don't worry, I'm an engineer.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been here a while, and I think I'll be here a while longer. Might as well introduce myself properly!

Yo! I'm Gamut, or Jared if you prefer. I'm 25, and I live in Ontario, Canada. In the real world, I'm a web developer and computer wizard by trade. But off the clock, my world is music and video games.

I've been a drummer for 12 years, and across them, I've been in five bands. Some rock bands, some metal bands, a folk band.

My love of music also came out in my choice in video games. I got into rhythm games starting with Dance Dance Revolution, which led into playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band competitively. I firmly believe I have these games to thank for turning my brain into a rhythm machine.

Even before I was a drummer, I wanted to play guitar. Naturally, when they made a rhythm game out of guitar, I borrowed my brother's old beginner axe and picked it up immediately. And once I found out that I could put custom songs in the game, well, I found my way here!

Lead guitarist at heart. Only been playing two years, but I'm impressed at how fast Rocksmith is training me - sometimes I do a shreddy bit and realize, "Wow, I just melted faces, didn't I?"

In terms of other video games, I play a lot of DotA, RPGs, hack and slash, and fighters.

In terms of other hobbies, I also enjoy reading, writing, film, and photography!

• Like 2

Gamut now active again on Youtube!

Gamut on Twitch

Gamut on Twitter

Gamut Customs

~

Come join us in the Rocksmith Championship!

Pasi, 40, Finland.

I bought my 1st guitar about 10 years ago, learned few riffs from tabs then retired :). Five years ago I bought a new guitar (better one), learned the same riffs again and retired again.

Few years ago I bought the first RS and was hooked for about 1 month and then retired :). About few weeks ago I started to get into these customs, now I enjoy practicing the songs I love so much that I actually changed the strings and fixed the intonations for the first time to this better guitar :).

As a gaming dad of 2 young male terminators it's not easy to find enough free time for rocksmith but it's the customs that make every minute count.

• Like 3

Pasi, 40, Finland.

As a gaming dad of 2 young male terminators it's not easy to find enough free time for rocksmith but it's the customs that make every minute count.

If they are not TOO young - grab a kids size guitar or bass and another cable and terminator time becomes family time with Dad. You may need to add in a basic drum for the odd one out to bash on.

• Like 1

Pasi, 40, Finland.

If they are not TOO young - grab a kids size guitar or bass and another cable and terminator time becomes family time with Dad. You may need to add in a basic drum for the odd one out to bash on.

Pasi, 40, Finland.

Older one is 4 years and he loves to play RS with my RG320, he may not hit many notes but at least he loves to play. Both like to play with our keyboards too. I kinda own 50% of a drum set too so in a few years (maybe 10 :) ) I have a solid kiddo metal band :D. I also have a cheap Harley Benton SG but even the kids won't touch it, it that bad :D

10394791_535511896579849_395088625850486

• Like 2

@@Palander, I've got 2 boys too, 1y/o and a 6 y/o. Surprisingly, the older one cares not one bit about my bass but my 1 y/o, he's well up for plank spanking, a ukulele and mini electric is on the cards for christmas. Hoping that by the time my #1 son gets to his teens he'll realise that playing guitar is cool :) If only my 6 y/o could sit so nicely as your kid and play along side me :)

Mortalo, on 11 Feb 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Ok, because of poor results and overall lack of skill @NoonyDeloony gets downgraded to Advanced. She would be forever remembered as shameful person... and then she'll make another charming video and we'll forget about that.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/NoonyDeloony/videos

Twitching bass unskillfully, here: https://www.twitch.tv/noonydeloony

Chlipouni, 45 years old, from Paris (France)

I have got two boys too  ;) (18 y/o and 16 y/o)

I bought a guitar at Christmas 2011 for my oldest son and he played with it only for two weeks  :blink:

I got the guitar and tried to play with it but without music knowledge (only with Youtube videos, one year before the first release of Rocksmith)

I am now a passionate and it reminds me of my teens rocked by the metal music that I can now play in RS ...

I like to make my own CDLCs because the process gives me a bit of knowledge in music theory.

I love this community and try to contribute when I have enough free time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Mate!

yep, me either are not gonna write any kind of an novel, hah.

Well anyway, I'm from Finland and i am 21-years old student. Basically i bought the first rocksmith game, because

i wanted to learn play guitar. I have now played for almost 2-years and I can say that

i have gathered some "experience". I'd like to play various types of genres metal, rock, pop and so on.

So that's all.

I'm Evan, hailing from St. Charles, Missouri, age 18.

Probably one of the youngest persons that is subscribed to this site (Beaten by Luiza). Started playing guitar about December 14th, 2013 and have been playing guitar almost every-day since. 

When August 12th, 2014 comes around, you may never see me again for nearly a year or more. I will be long gone, somewhere far, far away as a 68W (Combat Medic) in the U.S. Army. I like a wide variety of music, sticking mostly to the Rock genre, I love cars, and of course; guns.

I love bringing out cdlc for you guys and watching the numbers go up as people appreciate my works, as it gives me the motivation to bring more and more!

The Les Paul is my favourite style of guitar.

Feel free to add me on Steam, as I have a wide variety of games and open to conversate!

Nice Meeting everyone!

Evan

Good luck for the Army!

Be safe of course.

Hello World

I'm 47, I'm from Madrid, and I've always wanted to play the guitar. When I was 14 I faced a difficult choice, buy a guitar or a videogame, and the latter option won. So I've still wanted to try to shred for many years. And six years ago I decided it was then or never. I purchased a Washburn Wi200 Pro and had small progress but I had a son and I did not have the time for practicing. Some time later I heard about Rocksmith and I knew it was the way to go. I purchased it and had some fun but no regularity at all. 

When Rocksmith 2014 appeared I did the review of it in Applesfera, a well known Spanish blog related to Apple where I write (as well as in Xataka Home and Xataka, other blogs belonging to Weblogs SL group). I've been playing for around 350 hours since then. I like it so much that I did a second review of RS 2014 one year later relating how this year has been in terms of learning and fun. Original review here and review one year later here (in Spanish). Apart of the reviews, I've recommended Rocksmith to a lot of folks at work and all of them are enjoying it very much.

This December I plan to make some custom songs, a new challenge. The Three Wise Men (equivalent to Santa Claus in Spain) are going to bring my son (now he is five) a Ibanez Mikro (already purchased, waiting for some DR Neon strings for it) on Jan the 6th and I hope to have a lot of fun playing with him. 

Have fun, keep on rocking and take care / Fernando

• Like 2