Need guidance on how to create sections in songs

spawn666

Question

I seem to be getting the hang of this now, but... having had a play around with setting various section markers, I cannot get my head around how I am supposed to use these to differentiate each segment of a song.

One major problem with this is that the song gets treated as one long section and consequently it thinks I want the player to have every single fret down the entire fretboard covered! The view zooms out to incorporate all these frets.... which isnt very useful!

I'm assuming RS looks at the notes within a section and decides on which part of the guitar to highlight based on that - I may well be wrong.

Is this caused by me failing to use sections properly and if so has anyone written a guide on this? ( I have looked but cannot find anything)

If this issue is nothing to do with the use of named sections, I'd also still like to know how I resolve the 'zooming out' problem.

9 answers to this question

You have to have sections, otherwise Rocksmith will zoom out to accommodate the full range of the fretboard used in the song. Not a problem if the song sticks to a single position, but that's pretty rare.

The easiest way to set sections is just to follow the song's arrangement -- it's usually something like Intro - Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Bridge - Solo - Verse - Chorus - Outro, etc.

I like to keep sections pretty short -- eight measures for a simpler passage, four measures for more difficult stuff. It's easy to combine them in the Riff Repeater, much more annoying to have to go through a 24-measure section just to see the last couple of notes.

When you're setting the section, check the box for creating the phrases as well. This means that all similar sections (i.e.all verses, or all choruses) will level up at the same time, since these usualy don't change much during a song.

Also, when you're setting the section, make sure you click on the beat marker where you want the section to begin before hitting shift-S to set the section.

Lastly, when you've finished everything else, go to the fret hand position list, delete all and regenerate.

Lastly, when you've finished everything else, go to the fret hand position list, delete all and regenerate.

This.

When I'm feeling lazy, which is most of the time, I simply do "shift S", hit Enter on "Intro" and keep doing that, every 4 measures. Done.

If there's a big solo or something, you can start a section at the beginning of it, so it's easier to practice, but I've been doing some pretty conventional songs lately (Alphabet St., for example) that don't really need fancy sectioning. It doesn't really matter what you name the section, so you can save yourself a lot of time that way.

I let the Dynamic Difficulty Creator create my phrases. I don't bother with making any.

• Like 1

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

Yeah I got sick of "naming" every section too.  I always have an "Intro" and an "Outro", but everything in between is a "verse".  When naming sections they get called 1, 2, 3, 4, ...  much quicker than typing out proper names all the time and makes no difference in game (I don't use DD).

I would try to have an Intro and Outro (which actually contain notes) though, as this keeps EoF happy :)

Yeah I got sick of "naming" every section too.  I always have an "Intro" and an "Outro", but everything in between is a "verse".  When naming sections they get called 1, 2, 3, 4, ...  much quicker than typing out proper names all the time and makes no difference in game (I don't use DD).

I would try to have an Intro and Outro (which actually contain notes) though, as this keeps EoF happy :)

How so? I've never had a problem with having 50 billion intros and nothing else, but maybe my arrangements are suffering in some way I'm unaware of. :)

- Billkwando

I've never tried all sections called "Intro", so yeah that maybe works fine.  If you don't have an "Intro" section, however, you get messages from EoF about "Count Phrases" and the easiest way to avoid this is have an Intro section which actually contains notes.

Just the way I like to work, obviously everyone has their own ways too...

I need this tattooed on my forehead. I forget how to do phrases and sections every few months it seems, and then I have to go reinvent the wheel all over again. Future me, you are an idiot! :D

I wish there was a way favorite certain threads separate from subscribing to them (cos I subscribe to every thread I post in).

- Billkwando

Hi,

The name of sections and phrases is not important in RS2014 and DDC.

However, the starting point of a section is important for the DDC logic because it becomes the starting point for the automatic phrases creation inside the section (DDC creates the phrases all x measures without looking inside).

Those who create the phrases manually to separate each occurrence of a same pattern can obtain a better DD result ...

• Like 1

• Administrator

Section name only matter for the RS recommandation to indicate which section he suggest you to work on but that's it so it's not really that big of a deal if you name every single section "intro" or whatever.

• Like 2

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity