How to trim the audio at the end of an existing project?

Billkwando

Question

I'm currently working on the song Purple Rain, and there's a really long string section at the end that repeats 3 or 4 times. I've realized that nobody is going to want to sit through 2 minutes or whatever of no guitar, so I want to add a fadeout sometime after the first repeat.

My question is, how do I trim the audio and the chart properly without having to start over? (it was a pain in the ass even with GPA) I mean in regards to EoF, I can add a fade with Audacity just fine. I'm sure it's simple, but since it's not something that comes up regularly I thought I'd better ask here.

Thanks!

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

13 answers to this question

Will that force the custom to end at the end of the audio, in game, or will it keep scrolling in silence until the end of the chart?

- Billkwando

You may be able to put in an END phrase to let it know when to cut out.  I usually let EOF generate that for me but I think it's possible.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to place an End phrase. I guess that's really what I'm asking for.

- Billkwando

Same way you place any phrase I think. Shift+p and name it "END".

EDIT: It's shift+p, not control+p.

Wow, it's that easy? I have some songs that drag on a bit too log at the end that I need to go back and fix! LOL

- Billkwando

You could:

1. Cut the OGG file (that you use for the project) short in an audio editor.

2. Open the EOF project. There should be a red line showing the end of the audio, which you could get to quickly with one of the Song>Seek functions.

3. Delete notes, phrases, sections, etc. that occur after that point in each track.

4. Save the project (in another folder if you prefer) and the chart will have the appropriate length WAV file created and so on.

You could:1. Cut the OGG file (that you use for the project) short in an audio editor.2. Open the EOF project. There should be a red line showing the end of the audio, which you could get to quickly with one of the Song>Seek functions.3. Delete notes, phrases, sections, etc. that occur after that point in each track.4. Save the project (in another folder if you prefer) and the chart will have the appropriate length WAV file created and so on.

How does the END phrase get added? Is it automatic or do you still have to do it manually? I ask partly cos some of my songs take a while to end, even though there are no notes or anything, the chart keeps scrolling.

- Billkwando

EOF will add it automatically (if you didn't manually define it) to the first beat that occurs after the end of the last note in a track. If you have a project that doesn't have it manually defined (you can use Beat>Events to review the manually defined phrases, sections, etc), but it's being placed far after the last note, please send it to me so I can check it out.

• Like 1

EOF will add it automatically (if you didn't manually define it) to the first beat that occurs after the end of the last note in a track. If you have a project that doesn't have it manually defined (you can use Beat>Events to review the manually defined phrases, sections, etc), but it's being placed far after the last note, please send it to me so I can check it out.

Okies, thanks! :D

- Billkwando

Ok, I edited the audio, and now, inexplicably, I'm getting no audio from EoF. Not even claps. Weird huh?

Edit: I found the problem. I wish there was a way to switch the audio device while EoF is running. I use headphone on my front output to work on customs, and the read spdif to play RS through my receiver, and if I change it, EoF stays stuck on whichever it started on. So..... it was still stuck on headphone, but my audio device was set to rear, so when I restarted the program with my headphones on, I wasn't hearing anything. LOL

- Billkwando

There's probably not a good way for EOF to handle the default audio device changing at this time. Maybe when EOF is ported to Allegro 5 it will be able to have better handling for it.

Yeah, plus I'm sure it's not an issue for many people cos I doubt many change the default audio device and default monitor constantly, like I do. :)

- Billkwando