Scanning tabs into GP/XML format (not possible yet, but could be)

Billkwando

Hi all!

I don't know if everyone has heard of OMR software (optical music recognition), but there really isn't one that I'm aware of the that's 100% able to read scanned tabs. I have tried one, called Audiveris, that is about 75% accurate when scanning, in my tests with it.

https://audiveris.kenai.com/

It's an open source program that, on the homepage, says "no tablatures yet", which leaves the possibility open that the author intends to add it.

I've posted on their forum in the past, when trying to get the program working with tab, and recently returned to their forum to see if they had made any headway. Since nothing was mentioned, I started a thread, politely requesting that they try to add tab support, and also explaining what Rocksmith was, and why tab support would be such a huge deal if they could add it. I also included my Computer Blue video, as a case for Rocksmith's success as a learning tool.

If you have the time, I would suggest stopping by my thread, and posting some friendly and polite encouragement to the program's author. You can find the thread here:

https://kenai.com/projects/audiveris/forums/message-forum/topics/533281-Any-progress-on-Audiveris-reading-guitar-tabs-

Their forum is pretty dead and the program is relatively unknown, but it has a lot of potential (try it!) and I think any buzz we can create will hopefully help motivate the author, and make it clear that we're not just a couple guys asking for it (though that's likely exactly what we'll be! lol)

Thanks all!

Bill

• Like 2

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

I posted.  Good find.

I saw! I actually mentioned it before you did. :p

Thanks!

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"