Rocksmith 2014 sales and Amazon ranking

Joe

Question

I've kept an eye on Amazon RS2014 sales and today is the first time, IIRC, that I've seen it out of the top 20 for Xbox 360. As of this writing it's at #21. 

Considering that RS2014 has been out more than seven months, you'd think it would be hailed as a spectacular success. Besides the additional money from DLC sales, the Rocksmith team is presumably much smaller than the staffs of many of the games that have come and gone in the interim.

The only info I can find on sales is a February statement from the company that RS2014 had "lower-than-expected sales." So, what's the deal? Wouldn't a game that ranked that highly for that long be considered a hit? 

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

I showed some friends what is the potential of RS, because they were put off by the songs on the cover, and what is happening here at customsforge, and they ran out to buy Rocksmith 2014.

I gess this is happening worldwide.

• Like 2

I think marketing it as a video game was a mistake. This is the BEST thing to ever happen to learning guitar and/or bass. With a TAB I couldn't just play whilst looking at it for the first time, but with RS, I can learn riffs in  seconds, solos in minutes; it is truly revolutionary. 

• Like 7

I guess the Marketing as Tool for that Budget was hard, considering Marketing sections of Publisher tend to be cought in the old ways. Can be seen very well looking at the Medieval realistic RPG Kingdome Come: Delieverance. On their Odyssee to find a publisher they were also hitting a wall when the Marketing didn't know how to sell a game without dragons and Magic. I guess same thing happened for Rocksmith "wait its with guitars but a tool? yeah we dont know how to seel that...give it game aspects and we can ride the Guitar hero with real guitars train to town".

They are doing marketing?  I've not seen any advertizing for RS except for when I go searching for it.  Then, of course, it shows up in the adds section of every web page I visit.  The only reason I have RS is because my former surpervisor who wants to learn how to play guitar purchased the original version.  We have both purchased RS2014.  I've move from an OK player that takes a couple of months to get a song playable to being able to get a song "good enough" in a week.  My supervisor would be one of the few that RS hasn't worked well for.  Give him a bucket and he still can't carry a tune ;).  He does OK on Black Magic, bass part.  He does loose the beat from time to time still.

It would be nice if they give a push out to the TV market before Christmas.  Maybe get Hanna Montana to put her wig (and clothes) back on and advertize on Disney.  That would grab a bunch of kids attention.  Heck, while you are paying her, she could also advetize during adult swim (with out the wig).

• Administrator

Depend on the country too. In France there wasn't any advertising and people that know that RS exist is mostly due to people talking about it and not Ubisoft advertising it at least in France.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

I remember seeing Rocksmith 2014 TV ad's at least a dozen times during every NHL / NFL game I watched before last Christmas. Usually I would be playing it on my second screen during games when they would pop up almost every commercial break. 

Cheers for linking that video, hadn't seen that advert. If I was on the marketing team, I'd really push the note highway, and how quickly you can learn a song, not guitar as a whole.

A few days after my first post it was back in the top 20 (#17) -- and now it's on sale for $29.99 and has jumped up to #2!!

I don't think I ever saw a single commercial for either Rocksmith. In fact, I didn't know the original RS existed until I saw it at Best Buy the Christmas after it was released. Saw the cover and was like, "Where the hell did this come from and why didn't I hear about it before?!?!"

They should certainly do a tie-in of some sort with Guitar Center. A coupon for a strap and strings with every copy, or Buy a guitar priced over $ x.xx and get a free copy of RS2014, etc.

• Like 2

For the love of god, people, no bitching/whining/complaining. If you don't like something, either state it constructively...or keep it to yourself.

The next thing they need to do is release an add on pack for drums of use with an electric drum kit, that would keep the wifelet happy as she wants to learn them,  we could then jam together in multiplayer mode

• Like 2

Guitars: ESP LTD F-54 Bass, Tanglewood Curbow4 Bass, Stagg BC300-N Bass, Yamaha BBN5bk (5String), ESP LTD AX-360, Plus a cheapo no name acoustic

• Administrator

Rocksmith sold pretty good during the Steam Sale. Member registration for the site was pretty high during the sale week :).

• Like 4

Community Admin | Send me a message if you are having trouble with something | Teinashu's Hall of Glory
Steam -

I was a bit of a gamer - I own a PS3 and an Xbox360, and was well into Guitar Hero but I didn't know Rocksmith existed until it was mentioned to me on a car forum.

Still selling well enough at $49 to rank at #11 -- more than nine months out (released October 22, 2013)!!!

Amazing.

That bodes well for more future Rocksmiths!! Heck, Watch Dogs is only one spot ahead, is $10 cheaper and has only been out for two months.

• Like 1

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

Well, i think there are at least 2 reasons they HAD TO PROMOTE IT AS A GAME, not a musicians tool...

First the Gamers market is a huge one, the guitarist market is close to non existent when it comes to "search for expensive Software that makes me better", besides there are a lot of tools that promise that.

Second gamers like to game and are willing to donate their time into practise. Close to everyone knows someone with a guitar and if you are a Rockband/Guitar Hero gamer and see the first time how well the recognition of RS works you are in... As a matter of fact i showed RS to a close friend of mine (massive PC and PS3 gamer) - after trying his first song he told me to order a guitar of my choice rightaway for him :) and he is playing at least an hour a day for 2 months now....  

I for myself am extremely happy to have stumbled over RS for it made me pick up my go Gibson SG after 10 years again :) and i am spreading the word...

I hate to have to say it but it´s a true pitty it´s Ubisoft for the Publishing and Promotion... and there are signs this one is gonna be driven agaist the wall, too ( though unthinkable at the Moment regarding the sell and dlc numbers )...

How ever it may be - we have that great Piece of Software in the curent state and if it is not gonna be "improved" by more Features like Drum/Keyboard/Vocal Support or at least local 4Player MP, Online MP - so be it, most of us guitarists wont give a damn.  :huh:

R.

P.S.: if you haven´t please buy your copy of RS2014 on any platform you use :excl: 

• Like 1

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

• Administrator

i don't get why you say that it is a pitty that Ubisoft is in charge of Publishing and Promotion of this game, when i've seen the conference about their new Dance game at E3 i thought it was really cool and almost make me wanna buy the game while other casual game presented at E3 wasn't that well showed to the public.

I would really love to know what are the signs that indicate that this IP is going against the wall, looking how good they do with AC or Rayman to make live those IP through time compared to other game publishers i don't really see on what you base yourself to say that this one will go down at the moment.

Even though i have to admit that any IP at one point will always go down even for a short period of time but Ubisoft doesn't seems like a publisher that just stop something while their is a lot of potential behind.

Firekorn's workshop
In Flames Discography

#FirekornHasDoneNothingForTheCommunity

• Rocksmith Championship Organizer

i don't get why you say that it is a pitty that Ubisoft is in charge of Publishing and Promotion of this game, when i've seen the conference about their new Dance game at E3 i thought it was really cool and almost make me wanna buy the game while other casual game presented at E3 wasn't that well showed to the public.

I would really love to know what are the signs that indicate that this IP is going against the wall, looking how good they do with AC or Rayman to make live those IP through time compared to other game publishers i don't really see on what you base yourself to say that this one will go down at the moment.

Even though i have to admit that any IP at one point will always go down even for a short period of time but Ubisoft doesn't seems like a publisher that just stop something while their is a lot of potential behind.

Thx for the reply, the slight signs they might not be pushing this series too much for me is that first there is about no Advertising for RS in europe which is really strange

- german Amazon Ranking in Games atm steam #449, PS3 #1424 XBox #1148

and second the official Statements for a Sequel are that there is no Sequel planed atm, they are gonna concentrate on DLC for the title ...

Does anyone know if there is any Promotion in asia?

R.

-= Building a Guitar from Scratch with Absolutely No Woodworking Experience =-
-= ROCK - Rodmans Course for Kids and Beginners =-

-=GET RID OF ON DISC SONGS IN THE SONG SELECTION LIST? , FULL SETLIST MANAGEMENT? - YOU NEED A ROADIE !!!=-
-= SPOTIFY Rocksmith CS Playlist =-
-= Use your DLC library on multiple PCs w. autoupdate =-
-= Build your own RS Toneswitch Fb =-

-= Join the Championship - cause the Championship is good for you =-
-= What´s my RANK again??? - check the 10-weeks Leaderboard and PLAYER Level =-
-= Put the Songs you want to be played into SONG SELECTION LIST =-

On 11/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Vodka said:

I hated Royal Republic prev. time. I hate it this time too.

UPD: OK. I hate every song. I guess I need to stop.

I showed some friends what is the potential of RS, because they were put off by the songs on the cover, and what is happening here at customsforge, and they ran out to buy Rocksmith 2014.

I gess this is happening worldwide.

Now that you mention it. I think most RS2014 default songs are pretty shitty, or well I don't like them,is a questions of tastes. But thanxs to the cdlc,for the people who made this possible, the experience is charming. Have to say if no cdlc were possible I would quite sometime ago. To be sincere I don't like the program all that much.

Not selling as well lately, it's #44 on Amazon (US/cable/xbox360). Last week it was in the 30's IIRC.

Still, impressive staying power for something that's been out as long as Rocksmith 2014 has.