Tester wanted for Iced Earth - I Walk Alone

irongoats

Been working this for a few days and tried it on mine but having somebody else always works best. Please test and gve me good feedback i.e. needs better syncing, etc....Only rhythm section as lead is rather short and IE likes to use more than one guitar to fill.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, Thanks. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0213Fp8ImdcZXdqMTZ4NDZ1eDA/edit?usp=sharing

1 - Song doesn't show up in Rocksmith. Solution: change app id to Cherub Rock (which is what most people here would expect).

2 - Everything seems to be in sync

3 - Notes don't register (I'm not a good guitar player but I didn't miss 600+ notes!). My guess is that the tuning in EoF isn't set right (or RCST? Can't remember what causes this problem).

4 - It sounds like the tuning of the original song is lower (Bb instead of Eb?). I'm not really knowledgable about guitars, maybe that isn't achievable with a regular guitar. Otherwise you might want to try the trick as described in http://customsforge.com/topic/5227-5-strings-bass-and-low-note-recognition/ .

5 - adding sections is helpful when using Riff Repeater

6 - adding phrases is helpful when using Dynamic Difficulty. This is really easy with DDC in RCST, you don't have to add phrases or difficulty levels manually .

7 - adding bass is really little effort if you've used the vertical bars in EoF to sync and there's a bass line in your source (there seems to be in http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/i/iced_earth/i_walk_alone_guitar_pro.htm ).

All 'my' CDLC's are free to be improved upon and re-released by anybody. Constructive comments are welcome as well :)

1 - Song doesn't show up in Rocksmith. Solution: change app id to Cherub Rock (which is what most people here would expect).

ok

2 - Everything seems to be in sync

3 - Notes don't register (I'm not a good guitar player but I didn't miss 600+ notes!). My guess is that the tuning in EoF isn't set right (or RCST? Can't remember what causes this problem).

I thought the same thing but I can't figure that out yet

4 - It sounds like the tuning of the original song is lower (Bb instead of Eb?). I'm not really knowledgable about guitars, maybe that isn't achievable with a regular guitar. Otherwise you might want to try the trick as described in http://customsforge.com/topic/5227-5-strings-bass-and-low-note-recognition/ . You're right it is lower but I figured there's a lot of songs here in the E standard or half step down. I'll change to original. 

5 - adding sections is helpful when using Riff Repeater

Again I haven't seen this in the tutorials so I have no idea what sections are

6 - adding phrases is helpful when using Dynamic Difficulty. This is really easy with DDC in RCST, you don't have to add phrases or difficulty levels manually .

I tried making a DD but it wouldn't load in RS

7 - adding bass is really little effort if you've used the vertical bars in EoF to sync and there's a bass line in your source (there seems to be in http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/i/iced_earth/i_walk_alone_guitar_pro.htm ).

The power tab I got (tabbest.com) didn't have the bass line go figure

Thanks for the suggestions. It is fun and irritating at the same time haha. 

3 - open notes.eof in EoF and look at the left side. Tuning you're using is Eb so there you should see EbAbDbGbBbEb. If that is the case (which I hope isn't, because then the solution is simple :)), check in RCST what tuning is selected at the arrangement. Whatever you choose to be the tuning, these two have to match.

4 - you don't have change it, some players will prefer Eb tuning because then they don't have to change tuning for your song. Your CDLC, your choice :). You can also do both: copy the notes to another arrangement and change tuning there so you can add Bb as a bonus arrangement.

5 - see http://rocksmithcustoms.wikispaces.com/DynamicDifficulty .

6 - maybe after creating sections, if not, then I also don't know the issue

It takes a while to learn how to create CDLC. At first syncing seems to be the most important, but there's a lot more to it. On the other hand, you're more than halfway :) I've made a topic about the problems I encountered: http://customsforge.com/topic/5096-cdlc-troubleshooting/?hl=troubleshooting .

All 'my' CDLC's are free to be improved upon and re-released by anybody. Constructive comments are welcome as well :)

- shows up in my list :)

- bass seems to be in sync and generally just works :)

- lead and rhythm still don't seem to register. I gave you some hints but since you don't reply to them (did you try to find out what I said? What are the results?) I can't help you any further.

- you've created (IMO) too few sections to be helpful, less than 4 in a song is probably too low. If I see it correctly you did make phrases. You don't have to create phrases if you don't add difficulty levels and if you do want to add difficulty levels, you can let DDC do it for you. You maybe want to make a section of every phrase you made and then let DDC sort out the rest. Sections are helpful when using Riff Repeater to learn how to play a small piece of the song and if I have to play through 2 minutes of song I can play to practice 10 seconds I do want to practice, it's not very efficient. (Just as an example)

I answered your questions in the third post I wouldn't turn down help believe me. I'm a little confused on the phrasing/sections part. Some tabs come with them and they show up automatically in EoF and I tried to add phrases where appropriate. I'm also confused about the difficulty leveling and where does it come from? Do I insert in EoF? I haven't seen a tutorial explaining that part. When I play lead/rhythm they show so I don't know about what you're getting as it's no where near missing like it was. I'm holding steady at about 77% give or take. 

Apparantly my bad, I tried a little piece yesterday (the high notes, not the chords) and notes didn't register, but now played the whole song and also getting 76%. Maybe my volume was too low or something, I tried to make little noise as it was late :)

---

You can divide a song into sections, for instance:

Intro | Verse | Chorus | Verse | Chorus | Solo | Chorus

In Rocksmith, I can select a section in the Riff Repeater. This helps me if I, for instance, want to practice the solo. If the song is one giant section, I can't select the solo in Riff Repeater and have to practice the whole song (which I might already be able to play). You can insert sections in EoF, I believe with ctrl+shift+s, or the menu option.

Phrases are little parts of sections. Every repeated riff can be a new phrase. Phrases are used by Dynamic Difficulty. If you have multiple difficulties (which you don't have to make by hand but can let automagically create by DDC in the toolkit), Rocksmith adapts the number of notes to your playing level. Phrases are repeated riffs: lets say you play the same riff 4 times in the verse. If you play it right the first time, the next phrase (2nd time the riff is played in the first verse) Rocksmith adds more notes until you can play all notes. Phrases are needed so Rocksmith knows which parts are 'linked'. Since phrases can be placed by DDC you usually don't do this by yourself (which you could do in EoF).

Riff Repeater (and thus sections) and dynamic difficulty (and thus phrases) are bonuses, the song is already playable as it is, but can be really helpful for people trying to learn the song.

----

Got 77,2% the second time on lead. Might still be something wrong, I would've guessed I should've got around 90%... Can't be the original problem though :D If i find out more I'll let you know.

Thanks man, I've seen a few like that where the whole track is one and you're right I want to slow it down on a particular section to learn it properly. I believe a few Metallica songs are like that. 

I tried letting EoF insert Dynamic Difficulty to another song I'm working on Van Halen 316 instrumental and it worked haha. Will look at this one (I Walk Alone) again. Thanks for the replies.