Unable to make a "chord" with fret hand mutes in EoF

Billkwando

Question

Just wondering if this is by design?

I'm trying to make it so you only sound the one note, but you strum into it like a rake and hit all 3 strings (holding the 5th fret with the 3rd finger, while doing a light bar/barre with your first finger across the strings behind the note to mute them, if that helps you picture it lol), It's a Prince song, haha.

E------

B------

G------

D--X--

A--5--

E--X--

Whenever I try to make the 2 strings fret hand mutes, it mutes the note in the middle.

Thanks for any help you can offer. :)

Edit: Oh and the note is accented (and by extension, I suppose the chord is too....but I added the Xs after the fact))...I bet that might be a factor.

Words of wisdom for CDLC charters:

"When in doubt, steal a tone from Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son"

- Billkwando

Download my L'Arc~en~Ciel Ken "Love Driver Cat" custom Inlays here

19 answers to this question

I guess I can't reproduce that behavior. Make sure you're authoring it along the lines of this:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/raynebc/Partialstringmute_zps22f8c3b3.jpg

Keep in mind you can't just press CTRL+X, because that changes all gems in the selected note to be string muted, you have to use the "Edit pro guitar note" (N) or "Edit frets/fingering" (F) functions to define that only some of the gems are muted.

I guess I can't reproduce that behavior. Make sure you're authoring it along the lines of this:http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/raynebc/Partialstringmute_zps22f8c3b3.jpgKeep in mind you can't just press CTRL+X, because that changes all gems in the selected note to be string muted, you have to use the "Edit pro guitar note" (N) or "Edit frets/fingering" (F) functions to define that only some of the gems are muted.

I was doing it with N rather than F. As soon as I hit apply, it would put a "muted" check next to the 5. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

I'll make you a video real quick.

- Billkwando

Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9F1eVSFB9M&feature=youtu.be

Thanks!

Edit: Once I get it working, will it appear in a chord box? Hope so. :)

In-game it only shows the 5 with a light X over it, and the other strings don't appear at all.

- Billkwando

Set the mute type to neither, otherwise that status applies to the entire chord. You only want two of the three gems in that chord to show as string muted. If you set the mute type to "string", it will override the mute status of all gems no matter what you change. If all else fails just delete the note and reconstruct it with settings similar to the screen capture I posted and it should work the way you want.

It's just giving me a chord box with the 5 with a light X through it. Nothing for the strings above and below.

- Billkwando

Sure

Posted Image

What I want is a regular 5, with an X above and below, in the chord box, to indicate that the other strings are raked. It would be hard to transcribe Give It Away, for example, if you can't combine rakes with fretted notes, cos I think the whole song is played that way.

- Billkwando

The project file and the timestamp of the chord in question would help. If I don't see anything wrong with the XML EOF creates though, we'd probably have to involve one or more toolkit developers to determine what the problem is.

Somehow I missed the notifcation for this! :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cbccu1iyu37u6co/notes.eof

The pos number was 25829 and it's note #40?

Thanks!

- Billkwando

Hi!

Just checking in, wondering if you'd gotten a chance to take a look yet.

Thanks!

- Billkwando

You need to author Mute, but you authored string mute(that unsupported with fretted notes), this how this in xml should look(theoretically, I didn't tested ingame) 

<chord time="25.829" linkNext="0" accent="1" chordId="0" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">          <chordNote time="25.829" linkNext="0" accent="1" bend="0" fret="4" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="1" leftHand="1" mute="1" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>          <chordNote time="25.829" linkNext="0" accent="1" bend="0" fret="5" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="1" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>          <chordNote time="25.829" linkNext="0" accent="1" bend="0" fret="4" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="1" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>        </chord>

You need to author Mute, but you authored string mute(that unsupported with fretted notes), this how this in xml should look(theoretically, I didn't tested ingame) 

<chord time="25.829" linkNext="0" accent="1" chordId="0" fretHandMute="0" highDensity="0" ignore="0" palmMute="0" hopo="0" strum="down">          <chordNote time="25.829" linkNext="0" accent="1" bend="0" fret="4" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="1" leftHand="1" mute="1" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="0" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>          <chordNote time="25.829" linkNext="0" accent="1" bend="0" fret="5" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="1" leftHand="3" mute="0" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="1" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>          <chordNote time="25.829" linkNext="0" accent="1" bend="0" fret="4" hammerOn="0" harmonic="0" hopo="0" ignore="0" leftHand="1" mute="1" palmMute="0" pluck="-1" pullOff="0" slap="-1" slideTo="-1" string="2" sustain="0.000" tremolo="0" harmonicPinch="0" pickDirection="0" rightHand="-1" slideUnpitchTo="-1" tap="0" vibrato="0"/>        </chord>

I'm not at home right now, but it did the same thing when I tried to do a palm mute instead. Also, does that explain why the 5th fret note is muted when it isn't supposed to be?

What's the proper method to author a rake mixed with one or more fretted strings?

If it can't be done, is that a limitation of Rocksmith, or of the authoring tools?

- Billkwando

Those just overlay of open strings Fret hand mute, instead of fretted Hand mute, like here, but with different frets and one usual note.

http://i39.tinypic.com/282m1bn.jpg

So the real problem was that I had the nonfretted strings as X instead of 0?

- Billkwando

EOF exported that chord and handshape as follows:

I'm not seeing anything wrong with this XML, maybe somebody can confirm whether the gems in a chord will still display if the chord template gives -1 (undefined) as the fingering for a string as long as the fret value for the string is given. EOF will automatically export a fret value of X as an open note that is string muted.

Ok, so I thought I'd been over all this before asking for help, but I went back to make sure. When I try to make the 2 strings fret hand mutes, even with open strings, it still turns the 5 into a mute and makes it Xs on all 3, just like that screenshot.

I was positive I tried everything, but I wanted to test one more time and make sure I wasn't wasting you guys' time.

Gonna poke my eye out soon.

- Billkwando

Apparently I'd already tried that before, because that's what you asked me to do initially. To my knowledge, that's how we got that screenshot I put up. The only thing I haven't done is deleted the chord and started over, because I don't know how I will get back in that exact position. How do I do that?

Edit: It's right on the measure, so that shouldn't be a problem, but it would be good to know for future reference.

Edit 2: Deleting and re-adding it worked. I was picturing it as 2 gems with Xs and a 5 (not possible I assume?), but this will work. Thanks!

Here's what I got:

Posted Image

- Billkwando