Rocksmith friendly Laptops

dave

Thinking about moving to a laptop from my desktop for playing Rocksmith on the move but not sure which laptops will be able to run RS without spending a fortune.

Can anybody who is using a laptop for RS2014 please list the Laptop they use and maybe a quick word on how well it runs and whether you have to reduce graphic settings etc. to be able to play.

Hopefully we can get a helpful list of laptops to help myself and others make a choice.

Thanks in advance. 

I see a lot of tales of woe from people saying they cant get it to work on ????? laptop so dont want to end up unable to play it on a laptop I buy as it's all the laptop will be used for mostly.

I'm playing RS2014 on a Samsung laptop with an AMD-E6 processor (1.5ghz) with integrated Radeon graphics.6 GM of RAM.  I've turned off all of the visual effects (which don't do a whole lot, in my opinion) and I also turned off the venue/crowd bit -- I used to have that turned on, and it ran, but not as smoothly. with the crowd turned off, playback is quite smooth. This computer's a couple years old already, so I'd have to assume more recent models will handle it better.

It seems to me people with intel/Nvdia combinations have more trouble with Rocksmith. At least, it seems to me most of the performance complaints came from people using these.

I'd definitely look for a laptop with more memory -- not easy to find them with more than 4 GB.

I'd definitely look for a laptop with more memory -- not easy to find them with more than 4 GB.

Upgrading memory after buying a laptop is usually cheaper, especially if you buy a mac.

I have a late 2011 macbook pro 13.3" with an intel i5 and Rocksmith runs really well on the integrated graphics if you turn the graphical settings off.

In the name of Myung, Rudess, Mangini and the Holy Petrucci, grant us the power to melt face and blow minds. Amen

HP DV6T i7 radeon 6770M graphics. Runs RS on an external LCD TV and reaper w amplitube all day. Great for using your own amp for tone and RS for the band. 

'99 Fender Power House Strat Deluxe Series Black

TBX tone pot Vintage American Noiseless Pups Active MidBoost

Dads Samick Torino 2 Red

Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 Behringer FSB1010 Reaper Amplitube 

Twin in Training Alex and Daniel

HP Pavilion G6 sw-1350 with integrated intel HD series 4000 graphic -> I have to reduce graphic settings a bit to play w/o lags or FPS drops... (often is enough to turn off venues)

To record video from songs I 've to raduce a bit more grpahics - but it's still OK...

Feel free to edit my CDLCs, use tones etc.

I have an ASUS V550CA. It runs RS fine. It rarely lags. 3rd Gen I7 and  8gb of ram. But....for as much as I've loved Asus in the past; this thing is a dog. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but my worst enemy and even then I wouldn't want my reputation as someone who knows computers to suffer that much. From Asus's proprietary software that is supposedly better than windows at the utilities it manages, but uses way more resources and crashes more often, to the build quality, to the specs compared to other laptops in it's price bracket I would not recommend it. It's barely  8 months old and already falling apart (case in point I have to use the 8 key on my number pad to write this because the one at the top of the keyboard mysteriously stopped working one day) I bought it as an emergency laptop before I came to Korea because one that I had bought and customized from Costco wasn't going to arrive on time. So I had to cancel it (a really sweet HP with discreet gfx) and find a replacement. I would have sent it in for repair long ago if I didn't rely on it everyday. But yeah. Absolute crap. Don't buy one of these even though it runs Rocksmith. Oh and it bluescreens at least once a day. Sometimes more. I can't wait to get back to my desktop.

I really only bought mine because it was one of the very few (Win7) models I could find here that gave me the OS in English and a matte screen. I hate glossy screens. But then I'm not a huge fan of staring at myself in the mirror all day.

The fact that it runs Rocksmith really well is just a nice bonus.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X220T with Intel Core i7-2620M CPU (Intel HD 3000 onboard Graphics), 8 GB of RAM and a SSD.

I play Rocksmith on my external monitor and with 720p everything works just fine! I once changed the resolution to 1080p but then the video lessons started to lag... So now I play with all the graphic settings at default.

While the fan is working pretty hard, overheating was never a problem. And the volume of the fan is no problem either, since I always play with my headphones on.

This laptop is now almost three years old, but it's powerfull enough for everything except hardcore graphics gaming... plus having the touch & pen screen is great for university!

Check out my easy tutorial on how to add a metronome to your CDLC: Mute the original music, play only with the metronome and find out how good you really sound! Also: Find CDLCs that have the metronome enabled!

Want a USB-Footswitch that you can use to control the tone selection and all the menus in Rocksmith? Check out Rodman's Tutorial and my additions to that!  Footswitch_Logo.png

My CDLCs: Devin Townsend - Life, Deep Peace, Ih-Ah!, Deadhead; Farin Urlaub - Ok

My ideas for new features in Ignition, e.g. filters for Multitrack CDLC and Metronome CDLC.

I run it (winter months - long story) on my Samsung laptop.

i5 3rd Gen with Intel 4000 gfx.

12GB ram and an SSD.

Runs fine at 720p and graphics slightly reduced (turning off crowd).. I needed to fiddle a bit with the settings but it is definitely easily playable.

I wish my 15.6 inch screen was bigger though. Projector maybe?? ;)

Oh, you will need something to eliminate ground loop, if you're feeding it through a HiFi or Amp.. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I run it on a stock Macbook Retina (late 2013 model) with 8GB RAM and Intel Iris graphics.

It runs fine on default settings, and doesn't get too hot.  I play in 90 to 120 minute sessions (or until my battery dies) and the only time I get issues is when the battery drops below 5% remaining.  Oddly enough though, it's never a graphical issue, but a sound issue.  I know my battery is getting close to done because the audio in Rocksmith gets choppy and grainy.

No need to worry about a ground loop for me either.  I run the audio through my amp or Denon 7.1 receiver using either a standard 3.5mm audio cable or through Airplay.

• 4 weeks later...

I run Rocksmith on my 11" Macbook air now (OS X 10.7).  It gets a bit hot but seems to cope.  The sound is shite though - I either use headphones, or run a lead out from it to my amp.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an ASUS tablet hybrid.  It only has one USB port and a mini HDMI.  I use a powered USB adapter to support the USB slot and have turned most of the graphics off.  I also picked up a mini to regular HDMI chord that plugs into my 70" HD TV.  Initially it slowed down a lot but by tweaking some of the settings I can use it.  I'm trying to figure out how to configure an XBOX controller to navigate the menus instead of having to constantly get in front of the tablet to change songs, etc.

I have an MSI GT 60-0NC with an Nvidia GTX 670M gpu + Integrated intel HD graphics 4400and I must say with the discrete gpu It runs buttery smooth at max settings which costs $1k+ which it shouldbut switching to integrated graphics (which most laptops do have especially the cheap ones)I have to set the resolution to 1366 x 720 and lower some more settings to obtain playable framerates(60 FPS is a MUST for me especially this is a rhythm game, below that it's pretty unbearable for meespecially when it affects responsiveness and latency)^ this btw can be bought with a laptop priced as low as 400 bucks or even low

• 2 weeks later...

I recently sold my desktop and got a gaming laptop - ASUS G750. I bought it second hand for 750€. It has Intel i7, nVidia GTX770m with 2GB of VRAM, 8GB of DDR3 (with 2 free slots), 256 GB SSD and 1TB 7200rpm hard drives.

Needless to say this laptop is a BEAST! I played Assassin's Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty Ghosts either on ultra or high settings. They run like a charm. As for Rocksmith, it looks so smooth on the matte 17" display. 

The only problem I have is that Rocksmith keeps complaining that the guitar volume is really low and the cable is not configured properly. Maybe cause all ports are USB 3.0... I have no idea why, but the game still works.

So if you have that kind of money (and I think it's a bargain considering all you get), it's an amazing laptop. And its so quiet too, never gets hot and has incredible back-lit keyboard. I have been using computers for 14 years, but this is by far my best one.

Just keep in mind that it's not exactly small or light, but you get used to it.

The only problem I have is that Rocksmith keeps complaining that the guitar volume is really low and the cable is not configured properly. Maybe cause all ports are USB 3.0... I have no idea why, but the game still works.

What version of the real tone cable do you have?  The original one that came with the old Rocksmith, or the newer version that came with later editions of RS2014?

The original cable doesn't work well (and sometimes not at all) with USB 3.0 ports.  There are a few work arounds though.  The most simple one is to buy a USB 2.0 hub and plug that into the USB 3.0 port, and then the real tone cable into the hub.

You should also check to see if you have the latest version of your BIOS.  Some older PC's need newer updates to make USB 3.0 ports play nicely with older USB 2.0 peripherals.   As a last resort you can also try disabling the xHCI option in your BIOS, which is the USB 3.0 controller.

Also, before doing any of the above, have you calibrated your guitar inside RS?  You get asked to do it the very first time you play, but you can also do it at any time while tuning.  Just press "enter" while in the tuner mode.  You should calibrate your guitar inside RS every time you switch guitars (if you play with more than one).  You can also increase the gain setting in the options menu.

• Like 1

What version of the real tone cable do you have?  The original one that came with the old Rocksmith, or the newer version that came with later editions of RS2014?

The original cable doesn't work well (and sometimes not at all) with USB 3.0 ports.  There are a few work arounds though.  The most simple one is to buy a USB 2.0 hub and plug that into the USB 3.0 port, and then the real tone cable into the hub.

I do indeed have the original cable, didn't even know that RS2014 came with a different one. 

I tried your advise on the USB hub, but it didn't make a difference. Game still says "cable not optimized..."

Because I use different guitars, I always calibrate before tuning. Guitars with single coils can be problematic. I sometimes have to calibrate several times before RS will accept it. And even have to use two single coils together before the game can properly hear the guitar. But once I "pass" the calibration and tuning, the game has no problem registering the notes, so I'm cool with it. 

• Like 1